News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:16:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Naccarato 1/2A Fun Fly Nov. 18th, Van Nuys CA, Results  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Naccarato 1/2A Fun Fly Nov. 18th, Van Nuys CA, Results
« on: November 14, 2018, 03:45:50 PM »
Here is your reminder that Tony Naccarato's 1/2A Fun Fly will be held this coming Sunday at Apollo 11 Field in Van Nuys California. Come out and say hi to Tony.

We should be starting the flying around 8:00 or so, and finish up whenever the last guy decides to go home.

As implied by the name, this is an event that Tony has promoted throughout the years to show folks how much fun--and how capable--these small planes can be.

Last year, some of the guys decided that there were a lot more 1/2A planes out there than people were admitting, so the goal was to see how many that might actually be. I don't think we got even close to all of them, but we did get 127 of them squeezed into the pit area. Maybe a few more this year? Plastics, stick and tissue, sheeties--bring them all. If they aren't in flying condition bring them anyway. We rebuilt several engines and planes at the field and got them going.

Last year we saw Tony's 6-engine B-36, and Ron Duly's 5-engine Zwilling. This year we are likely to have a few more scale planes. There will be an F-86 and a L.I.T. Special from Dave Braun.

For you stunty types, you can fly your 1cc plane and get ready for the Knight's upcoming early December contest.

We ask that full flight line discipline be followed so that everyone gets as many chances to fly as they want. Be a shame if someone had to take home a nearly full pint of full.

Hope to see all the SoCal guys out this Sunday!

Dave
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:45:30 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Reminder: Naccaroto 1/2A Fun Fly Nov. 18th at Van Nuys CA
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:32:35 PM »
I can't think of anyone who has done more for our hobby in SoCal than Tony. Control line (stunt, racing or carrier), RC or freeflight, Tony was always an approachable resource and mentor. He was always there when I needed advice.

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 03:51:32 AM »
Hi Dave,
any plans for a new YouTube Video from this 2018 event ? like this one from 2017 ??.

H^^
Peter

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 11:08:23 AM by Peter Grabenstein »
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 10:51:27 AM »
Great video of a CL plane, thanks.  Was such a thrill to get to meet Tony and his Mom when they were at VSC many years ago. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »
Thanks for posting the "pit walk" from last year's event. It was taken and narrated by Tony Accurso. You can see we had a lot of planes to pick from when it got to the flying. There is also a video I believe of the B-36 flying. It had been hanging in the hobby shop for around 20 years since it was last flown, so Dave Dawson got to work the week before and got all the engines prepped. They all ran fine, but we did have one loose motor mount--so we just ran it on 5 instead of six. The Zwilling flew as well--and it was the exception to the rule that most of the planes were Cox powered--it has Testor's engines. For both of these, it took a big pit crew to handle all the fueling, clips, flipping and refueling! I'm not sure if the P2V flew. I have flown the B-25 previously. You can pick out Larry Renger's "Fright Streak" in the video. The rotor wing contraption in the back of the pit area is my own "Flettner" based on the old magazine plan by Ray Clough.  It is definitely its own thing....

There is a good chance Tony A. will be there and take some more video. Hope so, because it is fun to see all the different planes. There are so many, you can't really get enough chance to look at each one as much as you'd like!

If any of you are near enough to attend, please come visit. Bring any 1/2A gear that you have, and wear a 1/2A smile......

Best regards,

Dave Hull
VCB
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:01:45 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:22:24 PM »
good stuff, miss flying there at Apollo II field since I left the area in 2001
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:51:54 PM »
Quite a few scaley planes in that group, Fred.  Wish you could join us.

No one around here actually admits to building/having/flying scaley planes--but when you ask if they have any 1/2A's all kinds of scale planes show up. From WWI triplanes to F-86 fighters. Trainers. Bombers. Patrol planes. Racers. You name it, and these guys have got one stashed somewhere in the garage.

It's a puzzler.

I'm trying to remember the last scale effort our club put on. It had a clever acronym that spelled out the build requirements. One of our past members invented it. Maybe I can remember how it went....  It was written up in Model Aviation a long time ago.

Not sure but I think the field has changed a good bit since 2001. We "loaned out" the control line circles (2 big and one small) to the rotary wing R/C guys and the county put in two more. The circles then got a safety fence separating it from the parking lot with a nice grass area in between. The trees are just getting big enough to throw some shade, which is really a blessing in the summer.

For those planning to attend:  we usually have the ice cream truck patrolling the parking lot, and the pizza lady, too. You can get a snack if you didn't bring one and just keep flying.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 11:22:27 AM »
If only it wasn't so far. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Naccaroto 1/2A Fun Fly Nov. 18th Van Nuys CA Turnout
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 07:19:35 PM »
We all took a day off from the news and flew model airplanes today. A good number of flyers showed up, and they brought an unbelievable variety of airplanes. I'm too tired for a full report here, but a few tidbits are provided below. Our fun fly sponsor and namesake, Tony Naccarato came out and brought his own selected 1/2As. He said he hadn't seen some of the designs in a long time. A good time was had by all!

*Video and stills were taken by Tony Accurso, so keep an eye out if you could not attend

*We kept trying to count the planes, but more kept showing up three and four at a time, so we postponed the count to about 10:30. Last year we had 126, or 127 if you counted the one I forgot in my truck. I think the final tally this year was something like 255 airplanes of all types--but all were 1/2A or 1cc control line planes

*By my guess--which involved only counting from one end of the pit area, and giving up around a quarter of the way thru--somewhere around 20% of the planes were scale models of some type. A lot of scratchbuilt scale models, not just plastic ones. Here is just a sample: Warbirds: B-25, P2V, Mustangs(!), PT-19, Corsair,....;  Race planes: LIT Special, Rivets, Hall Bulldog, Gee Bee, Cosmic Wind, ......

*I'm not sure how many different types of plastic airplanes were sold, but we had a bunch of different ones. I didn't try to count. Larry Renger pointed out quite a few that he was responsible for, and then there were still more....  Would be fun to look at the video and try to see how many different ones were represented. My favorite was a gold plated Pitts Special with a Cox Pee Wee.  (Note: go look in the 1/2A forum, where Larry listed some of the many different types of ready to fly planes that he identified.)

*We all had fun and there was no carnage making the event only newsworthy to modelers....  Only one crash I can recall. Of all things, it was a "flyapart" PT-19. And one minor prop cut from too much flippy, not enough glove

*The club agreed that next year, we will put some emphasis on flying more of the scale planes. Still a fun fly, run whut u brung kind of informal deal. So check out your engines and bring a fresh battery--'Cause we're gonna fly it!

Come join us!

Dave Hull
Pres, Valley Circle Burners (Los Angeles)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:07:14 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 02:03:07 AM »
Hi Dave
can you "PLEASE give us a hauler" when NEW 2018 Video is on the tube ?.
Thanks

H^^
Peter
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:05:14 AM by Peter Grabenstein »
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 06:55:15 AM »
Photos snatched from facebook...
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Naccarato 1/2A Fun Fly Nov. 18th, Van Nuys CA, Results
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
Guys,

Here is a link to the video of the B-36 Peacemaker flight from last year's Naccarato Fun Fly with Tony Naccarato on the handle. The video was taken by Tony Accurso.  As you can see if you watch, there was no danger at all of not getting at least 10 laps.....  But for the guys that put in a lot of work to get it airborne again, the flight really wasn't too long.

The plane will stay airborne on any two engines.

Dave Dawson is the guy who picks up the plane after the flight. He did all the engine prep to get the plane ready to fly.  It actually took 5-6 guys to get everything running and refueled before takeoff. Note that with the needles set pretty evenly, and the tanks topped off right before release, most of the engines ran nearly the whole flight. There were two guys in the front: one on the left wing (Ron) and one on the right (Benny). Each one with a battery clip and dedicated to continuously refueling the engines as we worked our way thru starting them.  The only "middle of the road" guy was in the back, holding onto the tail, where of course, he got everyone's crap.

Dave "Divot McSlow" Hull
VCB

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 02:40:27 AM »
Guys,

Here is a link to the video from Tony Accurso showing the flight of the Heinkel He-111 Zwilling from last year. Multi-engines are a challenge! The usual bugaboo is resonance in the wing once a certain number of engines are running. We've seen it on twins, and all the way up.

Dave
VCB

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=building+a+control+line+model+airplane&&view=detail&mid=0222790FAEC6AB71A3620222790FAEC6AB71A362&&FORM=VDRVRV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »
Thanks for the video.  Yes it takes team work to get multi engine planes started.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 02:05:13 AM »
Here is a link showing Bill Barber's B-25 profile scale. He let me fly it too. Thanks, Bill! You have to get the engines synch'ed up to get the full effect.

Dave

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+tony+accurso+model+airplane&&view=detail&mid=C9D2E4ABDBACC8AEFC96C9D2E4ABDBACC8AEFC96&&FORM=VRDGAR

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 09:15:06 AM »

The problem I had was the motors hadn't been run in several years .
      It was built from AMA plans and Tony Naccarato suggested I change the
      the airfoil from flat bottom to symmetrical . Thanks to Tony when I have
      the motors running well it well do nice loops !
    The model is 20 plus year old and I need to recover it as the silk on the wings is cracking .
         Cheers,  Bill

AMA 325076

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
"Mustang" Bill,

That B-25 is really cool! By all means, do the recovering job if it needs it. You might stiffen up the wing a bit between the engines, too, for a little more solid run. If you want any help refreshing the powerplants, let me know. I've been doing a fair bit of that lately. (All three Dave Braun "Specials":  the Batmobile, the L.I.T. Special, and the MIG 15.)

I hope I can get my P-40 scale job done for next year. Maybe we could fly some formation flights? What length lines are you on?

McSlow

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 03:21:07 PM »
         I am flying on 45 ft  .012 lines which might be a bit long for your P-40 .
    But never say never and the idea of a B-25 & P-40 in formation is great .
         On the building board now is a Time Machine 50 that I need to finish
      before starting another project .
                  Bill
AMA 325076

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 03:57:03 PM »
I can't think of anyone who has done more for our hobby in SoCal than Tony. Control line (stunt, racing or carrier), RC or freeflight, Tony was always an approachable resource and mentor. He was always there when I needed advice.

Tony and his Mom Addie!
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here