News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:33:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recognition at Brodak's  (Read 2404 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Recognition at Brodak's
« on: May 27, 2009, 08:49:22 PM »
I believe that John Miske will FINALLY be honored by PAMPA for conceptualizing and implementing Old Time Stunt! While the event was not entirely his idea, he worked with other GSCB members to write the rules. John also stuck to his guns as far as eligibility for a long enough period of time that the event took hold.

John was nominated to the PAMPA HoF several times and I for one am glad that he will be recognized before he tips up his toes.

Many credit OTS (and later Classic/Nostalgia) with keeping Stunt alive.

John's wife Elaine will be there, too....she should be Sainted for putting up with his devotion to the event for all these years.

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: Recognition at Brodak's
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:51:23 AM »
     Also notable is that Larry Scarinzi will be inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame on the same day.  John at noon. Larry around 4 PM after flying is done for the day.  It'l be on OTS day, Thursday, June 18.  De Hill will be Emcee for both.  All are invited to bring out an OTS ship, whether they fly or not, so's we can get a mass photo of grouped OTS ships and flyers as a backdrop for John's photo.  A permanent memorial of how much good will he really created.  All are cordially invited.  Tom H.

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 01:21:30 PM »
     The best laid plans...    Seems John Miske has had a stroke and his attendance is doubtful.  I'll post better information as soon as I can get it.   Tom H.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:19:49 PM »
Tom,

That is shocking news. I hope that he will be OK. I talked to him about 2 months ago. He told me at that time that he was looking forward to going to Brodak's. I will have to call John and Elaine again.
AMA 7544

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »
I believe that John Miske will FINALLY be honored by PAMPA for conceptualizing and implementing Old Time Stunt! While the event was not entirely his idea, he worked with other GSCB members to write the rules. John also stuck to his guns as far as eligibility for a long enough period of time that the event took hold.

John was nominated to the PAMPA HoF several times and I for one am glad that he will be recognized before he tips up his toes.

Many credit OTS (and later Classic/Nostalgia) with keeping Stunt alive.

John's wife Elaine will be there, too....she should be Sainted for putting up with his devotion to the event for all these years.

Rich,

Old Time Stunt WAS John Miske's idea. 

De Hill
De Hill

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:00:47 PM »
Rich,

Old Time Stunt WAS John Miske's idea.
===================================
Yes, it was .... and he was duly honored at a mid-1990's VSC which he attended (along with Betty Fox) for coming up with an idea that has become so popular today.

Somewhere around here I have a photo of John, De and me together at that VSC.  If I can find it I'll post it here.

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:50:17 PM »
Yes, Old Time Stunt WAS John's idea. And of course the GSCB members at that time all pitched in. But it was was JOHN's idea.

That 1st OTS contest was quite an event, complete with "Miss Old Tyme Stunt". Officials had striped vests and straw hats. It was a great happening! That's John in the middle right picture with "Miss Old Tyme Stunt", Beth England, holding my "Barnstormer".

I hope that the GSCB remembers that October 2010 will be the 40th anniversary of that 1st contest. It should be held at the famous GSCB field, and maybe some of the "color" should be repeated. (While Brodaks and VSC hopefully will also celebrate the 40th anniversary of OTS, the big gala event should be at the GSCB field)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:16:23 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »
     John Miske is coming along.  He can speak, albeit softly, and walk a few steps.  He was moved to a rehabilitation hospital yesterday for intensive therapy.  He will be there for at least 3 weeks.  I'm no doctor, but it looks like it will be 6 months or better until his condition stabilizes.  Please keep him in your thoughts....  Tom H.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 09:09:54 AM »
Tom,

Thanks for the update.
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 09:10:58 AM »
John Miske
Great to hear about John and Larry today! What huge contributions they have given to so many of us over the years! CLP** HH%%
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »
Tom failed to mention the young lad with that beautiful lady on his left arm in the lower left picture.  Hope John takes care of his self so he can celebrate the 40th with GSCB.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here