News:

• May 17, 2024, 02:56:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A question about decal paper  (Read 463 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A question about decal paper
« on: June 19, 2020, 01:53:33 PM »
I have used the waterslide decal paper for years but was wondering if anyone makes a clear sticky, self adhesive decal paper where you can print on it, peel the backing off and apply to the model.

Thank you

Mike

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
Re: A question about decal paper
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 03:14:01 PM »
Mike i know what you mean, That's exactly what its called, clear sticky back.When i use to have my plans copied at a drafting supply/ blue print store.I some time use it. I've tried to from time to time to buy some and have not had any luck. Granted i inquired at the usual local places. FedEx,Staples etc. No luck. A blue print shop might be worth a shot, or else search the day lights out of the net. That sticky back is very useful.

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 03:34:25 PM »
I have used the waterslide decal paper for years but was wondering if anyone makes a clear sticky, self adhesive decal paper where you can print on it, peel the backing off and apply to the model.

Thank you

Mike
Mike try this link. This company is not in the US. But like Norm stated Clear lable stock.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 03:52:11 PM »
Note: the inkjet variety will smear and run. Not fuel proof and cannot be made so. Even with the laser printed variety you need to be careful sealing it with and clear finish. Reach out to Aviojet on these forums he may be able to provide you with vinyl graphics that achieve what you need.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 04:28:48 PM »
I just opened a Skyray 35 Kit and all the decals in the kit are printed on this clear sticky film.  They have to be getting it somewhere.  I just cant find it. 

Mike

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 05:38:59 PM »
I just opened a Skyray 35 Kit and all the decals in the kit are printed on this clear sticky film.  They have to be getting it somewhere.  I just cant find it. 

They probably aren't printing it with a plain-paper inkjet or laser printer, though!

Try searching on "clear stickers" or "custom clear stickers" -- that got me a lot of hits.  If I were building such a kit, I'd want some direction on whether it was fuel proof, and what I could paint it with.  Ideally it'd be paintable with dope, just like water slide decals.  To be really ideal, there'd be a sheet with half a dozen little decals that say "paint sample".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 07:08:50 PM »

Mike

Mike,

Are you only looking for the water slide decals like in the old kits.  Or are the markings for your Skyray kit on a film with the "sticky" back.  Some might call these vinyls.  If the "clear sticky film" is what you are looking for, I think Aviojet can set you up for what you want.  Also, Callie graphics does super work.  It might be worthwhile to look at her website at

callie-graphics.com

She has done super work for me making custom graphics for stencils and for vinyls for a number of models, scale and stunt.  She knows the standard colors for the many Air Forces.  She can match any FSN color you ask for.  I am not sure, but she might be able to do decals.  Same with Aviojet.

The vinyls come with a smooth backing that is easily peeled away.  You can spray Windex on the surface where the vinyl will be applied and be able to slide the vinyl exactly where you want it.  Squeegee the Windex from beneath the vinyl and it will be permanently set.  The vinyls leave more of an edge than decals.

Interesting thing on Callie's current web site.  She has been inundated with orders during this Covid quarantine and is not able to turn around orders quickly as in the past.  Worth a look.

In the past, she has done super work for me and super fast and at a reasonable cost.

Keith

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 07:20:23 PM »
Mike,

Are you only looking for the water slide decals like in the old kits.  Or are the markings for your Skyray kit on a film with the "sticky" back.  Some might call these vinyls.  If the "clear sticky film" is what you are looking for, I think Aviojet can set you up for what you want.  Also, Callie graphics does super work.  It might be worthwhile to look at her website at

callie-graphics.com

She has done super work for me making custom graphics for stencils and for vinyls for a number of models, scale and stunt.  She knows the standard colors for the many Air Forces.  She can match any FSN color you ask for.  I am not sure, but she might be able to do decals.  Same with Aviojet.

The vinyls come with a smooth backing that is easily peeled away.  You can spray Windex on the surface where the vinyl will be applied and be able to slide the vinyl exactly where you want it.  Squeegee the Windex from beneath the vinyl and it will be permanently set.  The vinyls leave more of an edge than decals.

Interesting thing on Callie's current web site.  She has been inundated with orders during this Covid quarantine and is not able to turn around orders quickly as in the past.  Worth a look.

In the past, she has done super work for me and super fast and at a reasonable cost.

Keith

Thank you so much Keith.  I have no problem finding the water slide decals.  The decals in the SIG Skyray kit were a sticky back.  You peeled them off the carrier paper and placed them (yes i did use windex)  where you wanted them and then squeegeed them. What I am looking for is the sticky back stuff that you can put in an inkjet printer and it seems to be non existent in a consumer package.  The only company i can find is Photo Paper Direct and they are in England. 

I will follow you recommendations and thank you again.

Mike

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 02:43:38 PM »
If you print your designs with an ink jet make sure you use a clear sealing spray after the decals dry on the model. Ink Jet ink is a water based product. If it is not sealed the ink will dissolve as soon as fuel exhaust hits it.
I have found that Rustoleum clear enamel works well as the enamel paint is fuel resistant up to 15% nitro. Rustoleum sells both lacquer and enamel so make certain that you get the enamel.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here