News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:04:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: R/C Giant Scale Conversion to C/L  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Hank

• Henry H Hildebrant Jr.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
R/C Giant Scale Conversion to C/L
« on: June 14, 2006, 10:28:27 AM »
I want to convert one of my R/C G Scale planes to C/L.
It is an F4U with a 30cc Homelite engine in it for scale
comp,. What is the best way to set up all servo's in this
plane?? I need some help here!
Thank you.
PS. Or did I post in the wrong Forum? ??? ???
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 11:31:14 AM by Hank »
Hank

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
Re: R/C Giant Scale Conversion to C/L
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:23:38 AM »
The quickest and easiest method would be to get a JR Radio and use the Direct Servo drive output connected through the lines to a JR receiver in the plane.  When in the DSC mode the RF deck is disabled and can be removed.  Place a leadout guide on the inboard tip and run the leadouts above the wing to the bell-crank located near the cg in the radio compartment.

Leroy

Offline Hank

• Henry H Hildebrant Jr.
  • New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 11:44:34 AM »
Leroy
Thanks for your reply. I know that  Dale Camble does it
that way, but it just seems to me that it take's to much
away from your flight. You have to keep looking down at
your belt. There must be a way to have it all on your handle!! ::) ::)
Hank

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:26:42 PM »
Bill Young has a handle that can handle 5 functions. There used to be a company called Scale Master that made a handle that could handle 7 functions, but he has given up production. There is one other group working on a handle, but I have no info on them.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 08:39:33 PM »
For give me for this Robert, but, for scale questions people ought to try out the following site:   www.onlycontroline.vf11.com   .    Go to the scale section.  Warren is trying to find out about control line and started this site for that purpose.  He has no intention to compete with the others.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 09:02:23 PM »
Just what kind of lines does a person need to fly one of these?  Sounds like it could get pretty exciting.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 11:47:11 PM »
I want to convert one of my R/C G Scale planes to C/L.
It is an F4U with a 30cc Homelite engine in it for scale
comp,. What is the best way to set up all servo's in this
plane?? I need some help here!
Thank you.
PS. Or did I post in the wrong Forum? ??? ???

Interesting question.  Are you planning on flying this in competition?  If so, there may be a few problems.  But I will first have to admit my ignorance of the 30cc Homelite engine.  If this is a two-cycle engine, the AMA rules allow the maximum displacement for each engine for control line scale to be 1.35 cu in. which is roughly 22.1cc.  The AMA scale rules do allow a maximum displacement for each four-cycle engine of 2.70 cu in or 44.2cc.  So, if that Homelite is a 4-cycle engine, it can be flown in competition.  If a 2-stroke, it cannot be flown in competition.  Depending on the weight of your Corsair, it will have a pull test from 5 to 8 G's to a maximum pull test from 55 to 80 pounds.

If you are planning to fly this in competition, there are some other considerations.  Minimum line diameters are .024 in for single strand 2 line systems, or .020 in for single strand 3 line systems or .027 in for multi-strand systems.   (Two line multi-strand lines are not specified.)  Also remember that there is a 70 foot line length limit. 

Even if you are not planning to fly this in competition, there are still some practical matters to take into consideration.  That 30cc engine is over 1.8 cu in.   That is a lot of machinery to be flown in a control line environment, even if super long lines are being considered.  (And long lines, like 80 to 100 feet would have their own inherent problems.  It can be done, but extreme care must be taken to avoid the lines snagging something on the ground during the takeoff and low flight at low speeds.  Then at any speed, you are going to have a lot of pull on those lines.   I still have vivid memories of Earl Carpenter flying his magnificent Lockheed Electra.  I believe it had 4 ST 29's.  (A total displacement of about 1.2 cu in.)   He had his handle strapped to his arm.  He also had a harness around his shoulders with a helper holding on to straps on his back to keep him from being pulled literally across the circle.   Granted, with proper wing loading, the model you might be contemplating might not have a high lap speed.  But you are still talking about a lot of machinery on the end of your control lines.  These are some things you should consider before you get too far into your project.

The AMA rules mentioned above apply to Precision scale as well as sport scale.  There is a real possibility that the Control Line Precision scale event may be eliminated from the AMA rulebook in this rules change cycle.  The final vote by the Scale Contest Board is to be completed by June 15.  If the Precision Scale event is eliminated, it is contemplated that the FAI control line scale rules will be used at our AMA contests.  FAI Control Line Scale rules allow significantly larger total displacement, far beyond any practical limit for any control line application.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 08:59:21 AM by Trostle »

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 02:12:10 AM »
Bill Young has a handle that can handle 5 functions. There used to be a company called Scale Master that made a handle that could handle 7 functions, but he has given up production. There is one other group working on a handle, but I have no info on them.

Right you are Leroy, here's the link to his website 
http://www.scalemaster-handles.com/index.html
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 04:54:33 AM »
I signed up early for one of his handles, and I got one. The one and only it seems. I plan on putting it in a Top Flite P47. It will be powered with a ST 75 and have flaps, retracts, bomb drop, sliding canopy, and of course throttle. I'm afraid it wont be done this year. I'm hopping to have my profile Laird Super Solution ready. It will be controlled by the Bill Young handle, and will be using throttle only. I have to finish the ink work and get the electronics hooked up.

Leroy

Offline Hank

• Henry H Hildebrant Jr.
  • New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 05:08:48 AM »
Thank you all for your input. I may have to rethink this
conversion as it just may be to big. ::) ::)
Hank

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here