News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:08:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Veterans Air show  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Veterans Air show
« on: November 01, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
I hope they will let this stay on because it is not really about CL/Stunt.

Today I heard the sound of twin Radial engines so I went outside to see what it was. It is a DC-3 done  in airline dress. It flew over several times as our house is close to the base leg of the landing pattern. Here is the best part of it. It is the sound of those engines! It brings back so many good memories for me and even Betty my wife. There will be more great aircraft coming to town as the veterans day airshow will be running on the holiday weekend. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing more great aircraft as the starting time gets closer.
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Veterans Air show
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 07:43:30 PM »
 Hey how about getting some photos?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:12:35 PM »
The FAA has a DC-3 or C-47 like that.  They've been using it to check & validate nav aids at airports since at the least the 1960's. maybe even earlier.  You can see it doing approaches all day at airports for time to time.  It was buzzing around Selfridge ANGB this year, too.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:40:24 PM »
When they had the Eisenhower centenial celebration in Abilene Ks., they brought in Ike's Connie presidential plane. They made many flights in and out of the airport here. What a sound with four of those big radials. Two of the engines just had short stub exhaust pipes as they had not found collectors for them when they were restoring the plane. At night you got a real treat with fire shooting out of those pipes. It brought back a lot of memories of when my dad use to fly out of KC on one when he  was a sales manager for Clipper Saw Co.
Jim Kraft

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 05:09:24 AM »
OK it is still here. Hope it stays for awhile. Once I flew on a Super Connie. It is a large airplane as you know. Flew from Atlanta to San Antonio. Once the sun went down I could see the exhaust flames. It was something to see. This was in 1956. I was a recruit for the USAF. Now lets consider this The DC-3 has much smaller engines than the Connie. So the sound of its engines is like a kittens meow while the Connie is a Lions roar. Having flown on some WWII bombers I was amazed now quiet the B-17 is. The B-24 is much louder. The B-25 is the loudest plane I have ever flown on. As more aircraft arrive I will up date you on the Stuart Florida air show.

Chuck
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 08:34:32 AM »
If that is this weekend I don't have time to make it down.   So pictures please and I promise to keep the cool weather here in KANSAS.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 08:03:27 AM »
OK it is Sunday morning and the weather is fabulous. The air is not full of planes just yet but there are now two P-51's Playing in our skies.
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
I owned a radial engine plane.  The engine: Seimens SH-14, 7 cylinder, at 150 HP.  It made hardly any noise.  The most fun was watching the pushrods go up and down.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
   I feel sorry for any aviation nut that didn't grow up near a major airport, or an airport of any kind! I was born and raised about 800 feet below the approach to runway 24 at Lambert/St. Louis International Airport. Or as we always was called it, Lambert Field. Through the major portion of the 60's ALL the major airlines were using Connies, DC-7s and DC-6s, and everyone else had lots of DC-3s. The front of our house faced the east, and it had a large picture window. As planes would come it at night, we would open the curtains and the landing lights would light up our living room, the high frequency radiation coming from the ignitions would mess up the TV, and the props at full rich and pitch would shake the whole house!!!! WE LOVED IT!!!!!! y1 y1 y1 y1 If the wind was going the other way, take offs were almost as much fun, but the planes were a little higher when they flew over the house, and were not as loud. But if it was dark, we had the extra bonus of the light show from the exhaust stacks. I still think the jets of today are much quieter than the big prop liners, but neither one bother me at all. On the west side of the airport, there used to be a viewing area where it was a common past time for people to park their cars, spread out blankets or sit on the hoods and roofs and watch planes land. On calm evenings, we would listen after each one for the woosh of the wing tip vortices. McDonnell Aircraft  was on the north side, and Banshee Road ran past the final assembly area. They always kept the big doors open in the warmer weather and we always pleaded with Mom to take that route when ever possible so we could see what jets were being worked on. Hell, I STILL do that when ever possible, 'cept that they call it Boeing now. With all the expansions over the years, the traffic patterns have changed quite a bit and it's rare to see an airplane use that approach, when at one time it was their ONLY instrument runway. I still live within smelling distance of the airport, but on the north east side, and it's pretty rare to see an airplane overfly my house. All the FBOs on the west side are gone, there isn't even as much action coming out of Boeing as there used to be, but it's still cool living near the airport!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »
OK it is Sunday morning and the weather is fabulous. The air is not full of planes just yet but there are now two P-51's Playing in our skies.

Chuck,
For the airshow, I "think" some/all of the Military aircraft staged out of Patrick AFB, just across the Banana River from me.
Why you say?  Air traffic higher than normal today.
And like Dan M. says, no problem, it's music to my ears!  H^^
Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here