News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:41:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prowler is coming along......  (Read 12346 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Re: Prowler is coming along......
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »
Beautiful job. I loved mine. Had an Randy tuned OS .32 on a pipe. You are going to love your Randy .40.

W.
Thank you a bunch. Loved? Did it meet it's demise? That Randy .40 is running nicely on the bench. Still breaking it in.
Thanks again. Good to hear from names I recognize!

Shug, that is one beautiful Prowler. y1  With the Randy .40FP it should be a great flying model!  My son built one and used a .40FP, it was one of the best flying profiles we have had.  Good luck!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Hearing that pumps me up even more)))) Got the hinges done today and the hinge lines sealed. Letter cut and put on. Now to set my lines and get out there to fly!
Many thanks. I am happy with it. Not perfect but looks good from 3 feet away.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »
Fully dress the Prowler comes in at 40 ounces. Happy about that!
Was expecting 44ounces.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
Looking for a PDF of the Prowler plan, I want to build up the swept wing with fabric covered ribs no foam?

Steve

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »
Looking for a PDF of the Prowler plan, I want to build up the swept wing with fabric covered ribs no foam?

Steve
Bob Hunt may have plans or check his RD 1 plane too.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7437
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »
I do have plans for the Prowler. I also have - i case anyone is interested - a Lost-Foam fixture set for the Prowler wing that features Warren Truss ribbing. It has been used once and is in excellent shape. I also have the leading edge mold bucks for that Lost-Foam fixture set that allows you to make the molded leading edge shells. I'm offering this LF set at a very reduced price. If you are interested, please PM me on this site.

Later - Bob Hunt 

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2018, 10:11:04 AM »
Bob,

I'd be great if you could send me a copy or the e mail me the PDF, the foam wing fixture sounds interesting but for now I want to make a built up version. I have the RD-1 plan off the Outerzone site as Shug has pointed out but I'd like a Prowler plan with the swept wing.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »
Steve, the foam wing fixture is used to build a built up wing, commonly referred to as a "lost foam" fixture.  The wing is built in the fixture to hold it true and straight and believe me, they come out that way - true, straight, and light!  And no foam.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2018, 06:43:47 PM »
Bob,   Now that Will has explained more about the Lost Foam fixture and other items I'd be very interested in them.

I'll PM you to discuss.

Steve

Offline chris perkins

• New Pilot
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »
Hi Gents,
Where can I read up more on the Lost foam fixture method of making wings ? Many thanks in advance.
Chris

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2018, 11:43:14 AM »
Hi Chris:

I have a manual that is in PDF format, and it's free to anyone who will send me a request with their email address. I'll even throw in a few other PDF manuals that may be of interest.

Send your request to robinhunt@rcn.com

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2018, 01:16:06 PM »
The only problem is that once you build a wing in  one of Bob's lost foam Jigs you'll never want to build any other way.  Definitely the quickest, straightest, possible way to build a wing.
I have about a dozen different ones, and I'm hooked!

Welcome to the Genius of Mr Hunt!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline chris perkins

• New Pilot
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »
Hi Chris:

I have a manual that is in PDF format, and it's free to anyone who will send me a request with their email address. I'll even throw in a few other PDF manuals that may be of interest.

Send your request to robinhunt@rcn.com

Later - Bob Hunt

Many Thanks Bob an Email has been sent.

Also Thanks Randy for the encouragement.

Chris

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2018, 09:26:39 AM »
My pleasure, Chris. Check your in box for the sent files.

Enjoy - Bob

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2018, 10:14:10 AM »
My pleasure, Chris. Check your in box for the sent files.

Enjoy - Bob
Bob, Ive not seen this lost foam jig you developed.  Can you, or someone else, post a picture of it?

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »
Hi Gary:

Send me your email address and I'll send you a bunch of stuff on the Lost-Foam system and a few other things as well.
My email address is robinhunt@rcn.com

Later - Bob

Offline chris perkins

• New Pilot
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2018, 08:39:20 AM »
Bob Hunt may have plans or check his RD 1 plane too.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7437
Shug

It's a shame the plane has been suspended on Outerzone …..

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2018, 06:34:14 AM »
This response will most likely not make me too popular here.

I was the one who contacted Outerzone and asked that the plan for my RD-1 design be taken off their site. The RD-1 was published in Flying Models magazine, and is the still the property of that plans service. It is also an intellectual property.  Neither Flying Models nor I see a dime from the release of that drawing, and that my friends is theft.

There is entirely too much of this going on throughout our hobby. Those who produce designs and those who publish said designs are entitled to a return on their work/investment. In the case of Outerzone, the plan PDF is free, and those who download it can then take the PDF on disk to Staples or some other printer and have a copy made from which they can build. Does that seem fair to the designer, and/or the owner of the plan? This is a hobby, and many do not realize that for some it is a livelihood. Where would we be without the producers/sellers of engines, balsa, batteries, fuel, etc.? Are those who toil to produce designs any less deserving of an income from their work?

I was the editor of Flying Models magazine for 17 years, and during my tenure there I strove to publish as many CL Stunt models as possible. Some years after I left that post the magazine ceased publishing, but the owner of the magazine continued to offer the many plans that had been published over the years through the internet. Is he not deserving of a return on his investment? I don't receive a nickel for any of the plans of models that I designed from the FM plan service; they belong to the new owner.

I offer several plans for my original design models for sale through Robin's View Productions. Think how I would feel if those plans were being offered in PDF form by another entity for free. I know, I know, I know, "It's only a hobby." But it is how I make a good portion of my living. Without product there would be no hobby. Those who produce the stuff we use to build our models have devoted their lives to making those necessary items available; they deserve an income from their work just as someone who works in the "real world" deserves an income. This seems hard for many to understand.

For the record, the RD-1 plan is available from the Flying Models Plan Service at:  https://store.flying-models.com/catalog/

I'll get a lot of negative responses from this post I'm sure. To those who don't agree with the above, well, that's tough. There are many of us who have spent our entire lives giving to this hobby/sport in many ways, and we have made very little for our efforts. Yes, the choice to serve the hobby industry was ours; no one held a gun to our head's and made us stay in this line of work. I can't speak for the others, but in my case it was a labor of love, and I tried to give far more value than that for which I was paid. I also have tried to give out as much information for free as possible. I don't believe that information is something I should sell; I benefitted from the help of others throughout my career and now I feel it is a responsibility to pass along that information, and any new information that I have gleaned over the years to anyone who will but ask. I have many PDF manuals that are well illustrated and cover a variety of building subjects. I'll continue to offer those and any new ones for free. But, the products and intellectual properties (plans) that I produce are for sale. I like to eat and keep warm...

In continued service to the hobby - Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:47:27 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2018, 08:24:33 AM »
Bob I agree with you 100% on this. It's your work,you need to get paid.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2018, 08:47:24 AM »
Thanks for the support, Skip, but in the case of the RD-1 plan it is Thayer Syme - owner of the FM plans service - that needs to get paid...

Thanks - Bob

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2018, 09:24:12 AM »
Bob, there isn't a word in your post that any sensible person would disagree with. Well stated and exactly on point.   Only recently have I got back into the hobby and I am digging into it far deeper than I had in the past.  Guys like you, who make the things we use, are the reason the hobby continues at all.

Thank you for all you do.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline chris perkins

• New Pilot
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »
Yes,
 All Points noted Bob and Many Thanks again for all your help and all the PDF'S you have sent to me.

Chris  H^^

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2018, 11:22:25 AM »
My apologies Bob. I had no idea but was just trying to help that feller out.
You still are and always will be popular with me!
Shug

This response will most likely not make me too popular here.

I was the one who contacted Outerzone and asked that the plan for my RD-1 design be taken off their site. The RD-1 was published in Flying Models magazine, and is the still the property of that plans service. It is also an intellectual property.  Neither Flying Models nor I see a dime from the release of that drawing, and that my friends is theft.

There is entirely too much of this going on throughout our hobby. Those who produce designs and those who publish said designs are entitled to a return on their work/investment. In the case of Outerzone, the plan PDF is free, and those who download it can then take the PDF on disk to Staples or some other printer and have a copy made from which they can build. Does that seem fair to the designer, and/or the owner of the plan? This is a hobby, and many do not realize that for some it is a livelihood. Where would we be without the producers/sellers of engines, balsa, batteries, fuel, etc.? Are those who toil to produce designs any less deserving of an income from their work?

I was the editor of Flying Models magazine for 17 years, and during my tenure there I strove to publish as many CL Stunt models as possible. Some years after I left that post the magazine ceased publishing, but the owner of the magazine continued to offer the many plans that had been published over the years through the internet. Is he not deserving of a return on his investment? I don't receive a nickel for any of the plans of models that I designed from the FM plan service; they belong to the new owner.

I offer several plans for my original design models for sale through Robin's View Productions. Think how I would feel if those plans were being offered in PDF form by another entity for free. I know, I know, I know, "It's only a hobby." But it is how I make a good portion of my living. Without product there would be no hobby. Those who produce the stuff we use to build our models have devoted their lives to making those necessary items available; they deserve an income from their work just as someone who works in the "real world" deserves an income. This seems hard for many to understand.

For the record, the RD-1 plan is available from the Flying Models Plan Service at:  https://store.flying-models.com/catalog/

I'll get a lot of negative responses from this post I'm sure. To those who don't agree with the above, well, that's tough. There are many of us who have spent our entire lives giving to this hobby/sport in many ways, and we have made very little for our efforts. Yes, the choice to serve the hobby industry was ours; no one held a gun to our head's and made us stay in this line of work. I can't speak for the others, but in my case it was a labor of love, and I tried to give far more value than that for which I was paid. I also have tried to give out as much information for free as possible. I don't believe that information is something I should sell; I benefitted from the help of others throughout my career and now I feel it is a responsibility to pass along that information, and any new information that I have gleaned over the years to anyone who will but ask. I have many PDF manuals that are well illustrated and cover a variety of building subjects. I'll continue to offer those and any new ones for free. But, the products and intellectual properties (plans) that I produce are for sale. I like to eat and keep warm...

In continued service to the hobby - Bob Hunt
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2018, 05:47:17 AM »
Hi Shug:

You did nothing wrong; you had no idea about who owned what, or who's intellectual rights were being stomped on. Please do not feel bad in any way. By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed our recent long phone conversation. You are an amazing individual with some outstanding talents. I'd love to be able to jam with you sometime. I play a lot with a mandolin player at open mics, and just love the sound of an acoustic guitar and mandolin together.

Okay, on a different note... In the interest of full disclosure, I was asked to print and send a copy of the Prowler plan to one forum member. Then it hit me, that I gave permission to Scott Smith to kit the Prowler through his Aerosmith company. I received no compensation for the design, nor did I ask for any. I drew the pencil plans and Steve Buso did a fantastic job of inking them for Scottie. He sold a number of those kits and the design seemed to be very popular with the builders/owners of them. Then Scottie sold Aerosmith to another entity. I did not okay the sale of the Prowler design (kit or plan) to that new entity.

I had a nice chat about this with Steve Buso yesterday. He told me that he never received any monies for inking the plan either; he did it as a favor for his good friend, Scottie. We were both happy to help Scottie in any way we could. I'm sad to report that Scottie passed away recently from a brain tumor. I spoke with his wife, Karen, and extended the condolences of the entire modeling community for her loss. Scottie was a really great and talented fellow.

So, I feel that the Prowler design is still my intellectual property, and I will offer plans for it. The plan will be the very detailed kit plan that Steve inked. I'll also send Steve a percentage of each sale for his work in inking the plan.

While we are on this subject, I want to be transparent on one other plan/design issue. A few years back I started offering plans for the Cal Smith-designed Frisky Pete Old Time Stunt model. That model was presented in a book that was published by the long defunct Mechanics Illustrated publishing group. Cal had passed away long before I started offering that plan, but I made an extensive search for any surviving family that Cal might have to ask permission to offer that plan, and to offer to pay them a percentage of each sale if permission was granted. The AMA helped here a lot, but even they could not find any trace of a family linked to Cal. Reluctantly I offered the plan. I didn't sell very many. I decided to send a $2.00 donation to AMA in Cal's memory for each plan sold. Instead of sending just $2.00 each time I sold a plan, I decided to wait until I sold a number of them and then send a significant check to the AMA Scholarship Fund in Cal's name. To date I have not sent a check because I didn't sell many plans. I will send them a check this week because I'll feel like a hypocrite over all this pirating of design stuff if I don't. The amount will be a bit less than fifty bucks due to the low sales volume of that plan, but at least I'll be living up to my promise.

Trying to do the right thing... Bob

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 12:11:04 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2018, 09:38:12 AM »
Hi Shug:

You did nothing wrong; you had no idea about who owned what, or who's intellectual rights were being stomped on. Please do not feel bad in any way. By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed our recent long phone conversation. You are an amazing individual with some outstanding talents. I'd love to be able to jam with you sometime. I play a lot with a mandolin player at open mics, and just love the sound of an acoustic guitar and mandolin together.

Okay, on a different note... In the interest of full disclosure, I was asked to print and send a copy of the Prowler plan to one forum member. Then it hit me, that I gave permission to Scott Smith to kit the Prowler through his Aerosmith company. I received no compensation for the design, nor did I ask for any. I drew the pencil plans and Steve Buso did a fantastic job of inking them for Scottie. He sold a number of those kits and the design seemed to be very popular with the builders/owners of them. Then Scottie sold Aerosmith to another entity. I did not okay the sale of the Prowler design (kit or plan) to that new entity.

I had a nice chat about this with Steve Buso yesterday. He told me that he never received any monies for inking the plan either; he did it as a favor for his good friend, Scottie. We were both happy to help Scottie in any way we could. I'm sad to report that Scottie passed away recently from a brain tumor. I spoke with his wife, Karen, and extended the condolences of the entire modeling community for her loss. Scottie was a really great and talented fellow.

So, I feel that the Prowler design is still my intellectual property, and I will offer plans for it. The plan will be the very detailed kit plan that Steve inked. I'll also send Steve a percentage of each sale for his work in inking the plan.

While we are on this subject, I want to be transparent on one other plan/design issue. A few years back I started offering plans for the Cal Smith-designed Frisky Pete Old Time Stunt model. That model was presented in a book that was published by the long defunct Mechanics Illustrated publishing group. Cal had passed away long before I started offering that plan, but I made an extensive search for any surviving family that Cal might have to ask permission to offer that plan, and to offer to pay them a percentage of each sale if permission was granted. The AMA helped here a lot, but even they could not find any trace of a family linked to Cal. Reluctantly I offered the plan. I didn't sell very many. I decided to send a $2.00 donation to AMA in Cal's memory for each plan sold. Instead of sending just $2.00 each time I sold a plan, I decided to wait until I sold a number f them and then send a significant check to the AMA Scholarship Fund in Cal's name. To date I have not sent a check because I didn't sell many plans. I will send them a check this week because I'll feel like a hypocrite over all this pirating of design stuff if I don't. The amount will be a bit less than fifty bucks due to the low sales volume of that plan, but at least I'll be living up to my promise.

Trying to do the right thing... Bob

Your a class act Bubba

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2018, 09:05:59 PM »
Amen to that. H^^ H^^ H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here