News:

• May 05, 2024, 09:24:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dream Flights- WW II Vets get a free ride in a Stearman  (Read 474 times)

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Dream Flights- WW II Vets get a free ride in a Stearman
« on: August 02, 2021, 11:52:53 AM »
I was fortunate enough to be informed that today there were going to be two WW II Vets honored with a Free ride in a Stearman . This was done in Medford, Oregon , One of our local companies Million Air, was generous enough to work with Dream Flights to help facilitate this for these two Veterans.
Dream Flights is a 501.C private volunteer organization who is working real hard to get as many as possible WW II vets a ride in a Stearman.
There are 6 Stearmans and quite a few pilots that give their time to do this. On their website it says that there are less than 100,000 WW II
Vets still alive most in their 90s. The two gentleman who were getting rides were awesome.One still very sharp the other would show a grin once in a while.

My father was a Rear Admiral in the Navy and a B-24 Pilot in WW II he was also a flight instructor and told me that they used Stearmans as Primary
trainers then moved to the AT-6.I have flown in a Stearman and hope to fly in a T-6 if I can before we leave this earth. My Name sake Walter E.
Lees was also an aviator. He was an "Earlybird" .Meaning he  first flew in 1912.

It is really good to see people honoring these Vets who gave it all for us. There a very few left. Thank all of you who have served our country.

Offline Ed Carlaw

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Dream Flights- WW II Vets get a free ride in a Stearman
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 02:15:20 PM »
Amen to that Walt.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here