News:

• May 13, 2024, 06:15:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Many thanks, Doodle Streak, Engine Mods  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Many thanks, Doodle Streak, Engine Mods
« on: November 19, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »
I want to give a big thanks to the many of you who write on this forum.  Last Saturday, my brother and I had, perhaps, our best flying day ever.  The weather was perfect.  It was almost windless.  I spent most of my time - four flights - flying a Doodle Streak as someone calls them.  It is an ARF Flite Streak with a longer fuselage - 2 inches longer in the back and an inch longer on the front.  It is powered by a Fox 35 with a stick of hardwood in the port to eliminate the Fox burp and a Randy Smith needle valve.  All of these modifications are suggestions from various threads on Stunthangar.  In reality this plan flies beautifully. It no longer cuts out going down although I did notice a slight burp at the top of the outside loops.  I haven't got the needle set exactly right yet.  It seemed to change between the 3rd and 4rth flight to rich.  However,  some tinkering should fix this.  One other modification is the use of hot RC plugs with the idle bar.  I want to say a big thanks to everyone.  I'm having fun.

My brother was flying a Shark 45 - very old - a wreck picked up from someone else 30 or so years ago.  It has a Super Tigre 51 on it.  It ran good for the first time.   I also flew a Smoothie with Brodak 40 in it and got it to stunt better than I had been able to do before.

Happy Thanksgiving

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Many thanks, Doodle Streak, Engine Mods
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »
Allen
Glad you are having fun. Try and hook up with others in your area it will double your fun.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
Around here on the "Left Coast"  :P the Doodle Streak is an ARF Flite streak with a much higher aspect ratio and area horizontal tail.  The dimensions were defined by the late, great, Mild Bill Netzband, and the added smoothness in hard corners is unbelievable.  If anyone is interested, I can dig up the exact dimensions and do a drawing.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »
I would like to see those Streak dimensions  and drawings if you could post them.  Sounds interesting. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:59:50 AM »
Allan,

I can second what AMA hall of fame member Larry Renger said. His is the best mod you can make for the FS. His flys great. The FS was originally designed as a combat plane (I think it won the Nats senior div. a few times). It's small EL works fine at higher speeds but less so at our CLPA slow speeds. Larry's mod solves this issue nicely. :-) I sure like mine with his supper tail. 
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 06:40:15 AM »
I would like to see those mods also, Larry.  What is aspect ratio?   My memory needs to be refreshed on that.

Allen

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:46:04 AM »
Hey Larry,
Start Doodle-ing! LL~
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 08:18:06 PM »
I would like to see those mods also, Larry.  What is aspect ratio?   My memory needs to be refreshed on that.

Allen

Hi Allen,

My #s may be a little off, but they are close. I measured off of Larry's plane to make mine, but I think I made mine a little bit larger.

The trailing edge of the EL is 24"

The cord of the EL is 1 1/2"

The cord of the Stab is 3"

The cord of the entire horizontal tail = 4 1/2"

The trailing edge of the stab is 22 1/4"

The shape of the tail is the same as the original FS tail. It looks very good and most won't even see a difference (until it flys! ;-)

Since my ARF stab was already aligned I just made a notch in the vertical stab for the new horizontal stab, then cut off all but 4" of the OLD stab and glued the new stab on top of the old, now only 4", one. Very easy to do, and alignment is automatic. This also insured that there would be no flexing by the new 2 foot wide stab.  ;-)

Mine did not add any weight to the plane because I already had 3/4 oz. of lead in the rear to get my CG where I wanted it, now the lead is gone.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:05:06 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Stan Tyler

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 03:21:16 PM »
Ok everyone, here my notes on the Doodle Streak mods for the ARF Flight Streak:

Stock Tail:

Stab:
Chord - 2 1/2"
Span @ TE - 15"
Elevator:
Chord - 1"
Span @ LE - 15"
Span @ TE - 15 3/4"

DoodleStreak Tail:

Stab:
Chord - 2 1/2" Same as stock
Span @ TE - 22"
Elevator:
Chord - 1 1/2"
Span @ LE - 22"
Span @ TE - 23 1/4"

The basic shape of the Stab/elevator is roughly the same crescent shape as the original, just with the span and elevator chord increased.

The fin/rudder are about 80% of the original size, just take the stock fin/rudder and reduce it to 80% with a Xerox machine. Simple but effective. Use essentially no rudder offset other than just a little to be sure that it's not offset to the inside of the circle.

I built the new stab and elevator out of some 3/16 light balsa stock that I had available. The moments are not changed, it goes in the same place that the stock tail does.

I replaced the stamped alum. bellcrank with a SIG 3" nylon, and replaced the leadouts with a Sullivan C-D leadout set.
The pushrod was replaced with a 3/32 musicwire with a carbonfiber tube epoxied over the wire for stiffness.
The pushrod goes in the center hole in the bellcrank (3/4" from the pivot) and the elevator horn is a DuBro large T style with the pushrod connecting 1 1/4" from the elevator.

I use a FP25 with a APC 9-4 prop (Tornado 9-4 prop works well also) and a Hayes 3 oz tank setup non-uniflow, Ala the Dirty Dan/ Brett Buck Tuneup.

Launch RPM is in the 11,000 - 11,200 range in a wet 2 stroke.
.015 lines 60" eyelet to eyelet yield about 5 sec laps.
Yes, it flies well enough to post 490+ scores in winds gusting to 20+ MPH.
I think it weighs in at 29 oz.

Be sure to set the CG fairly far forward, as setting the CG at 3+ inches (as the instructions say) from the LE will be far too tail heavy. A I recall, mine was about  1 1/4 - 1 1/2" from the LE. Of course, set the CG to your preference, but it's better to start farther forward and more it back after a few flights.

The major performance difference is that the high aspect tail starts and stops the turn easier and with less deflection and doesn't require the pilot to apply opposite elevator to stop a turn.

Regards,
Stan

Stan Tyler
AMA 3239

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here