News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile Swept wing model with engine mounted in the outboard leading edge  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
Hi Guys, Several have asked if there were plans for the 727 model my dad built. Unfortunately, he scratch built using a plastic model as reference. But the whole model was based on a published on a swept wing profile model which featured the engine being mounted in the leading edge of the outboard wing. I cannot recall whether it was published in MAN, FM, or American Aircraft Modeler but it was a design published in the early 1970's. I recall it being a smaller than a 35 powered model but larger than a 049. It was published around the same years that the flying disk (saucer) CL model designs were published.

I must say, that particular design would stunt like a BiSlob, I could fly it to a stall and hang it on the prop, flip it end to end and was a whole ton of fun to fly. I do recall it was a trike design as well.

Anyone remember it?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:13:54 PM by Peter Nevai »
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral

Anyone remember it?

There were two delta designs by Charles Mackey with the engine mounted on the leading edge.  One was the Monster, Flying models, Feb 62 for .35's.  The other was the Red Wing, Flying Models, Dec 63/Jan 64.  This one had an .049 Diesel, 8 oz.  The engine thrust line was perpendicular to the leading edge.  Interesting fliers as they could fly in wind and on longer lines.  Turned very well.  But, as mentioned, these had delta wings.

There was the Charger by Jim Mayfield in the October, 1970 issue of American Aircraft Modeler.  Profile fuselage, powered by a Cox .049 TD.  Tapered, swept back wing.  LE sweep was about 30o. Engine was mounted just outboard of the fuselage.  Span was 30 inches.  Trike gear.  Jim Mayfield was a superb flier in the 60's.  I never saw one fly, but reports were that it could turn very quickly.

Keith
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:53:05 AM by Trostle »

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
I sell a laser cut kit of the Red Wing. You can see the plans in the Vendors Corner..
Pat

PDK LLC
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
There were two delta designs by Charles Mackey with the engine mounted on the leading edge.  One was the Monster, Flying models, Feb 62 for .35's.  The other was the Red Wing, Flying Models, Dec 63/Jan 64.  This one had an .049 Diesel, 8 oz.  The engine thrust line was perpendicular to the leading edge.  Interesting fliers as they could fly in wind and on longer lines.  Turned very well.  But, as mentioned, these had delta wings.

There was the Charger by Jim Mayfield in the October, 1970 issue of American Aircraft Modeler.  Profile fuselage, powered by a Cox .049 TD.  Tapered, swept back wing.  LE sweep was about 30o. Engine was mounted just outboard of the fuselage.  Span was 30 inches.  Trike gear.  Jim Mayfield was a superb flier in the 60's.  I never saw one fly, but reports were that it could turn very quickly.

Keith

Yes I think you hit it on the head, The name charger rings a bell, it was a profile and was larger than your typical 049 model. I thought it was powered by a larger engine but could have been a TD O49. And yes that model could literally turn on a dime.I think my dad scaled it up a bit and put a OS 20 on it.Can some one post a scan of the magazine page so I can check if it is the same model? It was a total blast to fly and looked sweet as well. Better yet anyone have a copy of the October 1970 issue of American Aircraft Modeler to sell?

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Here are the Charger plans.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Additional charger plans and article
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Here's the Mackey Monster plan.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Mackey Monster article

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Profile Swept wing model with engine mounted in the outboard leading edge
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »

Brent W I sent you a P/M  ...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 06:44:24 PM »
Here are the Charger plans.

Thanks Brent! That is exactly the model I was thiking about. I need to build one as it was a whole ton of fun to fly (Think BiSlob kind of fun)!. Maybe scale it up. It is certainly a novel design. The one my dad built has an OS 20 engine in it and was scaled up from the 049 version and the 727 model was based on this design. Perhaps one with an LA 40 or 46 would be cool.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:13:59 PM by Peter Nevai »

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »
I sell laser cut kits of the DELTA LTS.

Pat
Pat King