News:

• April 25, 2024, 01:21:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile stunters in late Classic era  (Read 828 times)

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Profile stunters in late Classic era
« on: June 21, 2019, 05:40:54 PM »
Picking up as suggested - in a new thread.
Adding: Ty commented about Dick the Mathis' Piper Cherokee. I'd thought it was one of the M&P small profiles kitted; probably wasn't.
             Keith had valuable comments on "authenticity," and "Fidelity Points." Representative finish well regarded, but not required. Some latitude about appearance of layout. Not to an excessive degree.
             I had drafted the following off-line, and copied it in before the problem popped up.

Charles,
Around late 1991 I copied or saved stunt model mag articles. It helped to have a friend who was clearing out his mags. Text and line copy quality was quite good, images were usually poor by today’s standards. For Classic (models kitted or published before 1970) AND profile, my files show:
      Sources:
     American Aircraft Modeler: - last surviving descendant of AirTrails, which went through several names, and carried AMA news before AMA's Model Aviation came out.
      FM was, of course, Flying Models, which also put out two ‘FM Decade of Design’ books, collections of plan pages from RC, CL and FF articles they’d published.
     Items Found:
     Rayette                 Gialdini            Feb 67         America Aircraft Modeler
     Excalibur               Mathis           May 67,           Flying Models
     Piper Cherokee      Mathis          Sept 64         FM Decade
     Novette                 Norm Dion        Jul 68         FM Decade
     Me-109                 Vince Micchia    Jun 69         FM (and MidWest Kit)
NOTES:
      Many have commented on Bob G’s Rayette’s excellence, his takeoff on his Stingray.
       Excalibur is also highly praised. Dick M also published an Excalibur 2, after the Classic era.
      Dick’s Piper Cherokee may have been (one of 3 smallish, near identical) an M&K kit profile. I recall a high wing Cessna Cardinal and Ercoupe. Great fun, but hardly suitable contest stunters.
      Norm Dion’s Novette. may have been a takeoff on one of the NOVI series.
      Mathis’ Coyote is a large, unflapped model of surprisingly good performance
      Micchia’s   Me-109 was one of three MidWest warbird stunt profiles that appeared, with the Bell KingCobra (tricycle gear) and P-51 Mustang, at the same time. Very similar, decent stunters, a bit large for Fox 35; kit wood often heavy. (Modern technique and trimming could make them nice on modern power.)
     If you can’t find enough info to build any of these, I can probably find my copies, scan and email them to you. The mags are defunct (sob;) copying is, in effect, “sharing a working copy made to preserve the original,” No  charge, but if it comes to large postal costs (e.g., enlarging plans and snail mailing them,) I’d hope to get that back.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Profile stunters in late Classic era
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 07:10:02 PM »
Many, many years ago I built a Micchia Ki-61 Tony based on a nobler wing someone gave me.  I recall that it flew pretty good with a Fox 35 in the nose (but back then I could maybe do up to lazy eights, so take this flying review with a grain of salt.)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here