News:

• May 08, 2024, 01:03:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zapp/Hot Stuff, or any other good fast CA glue questions  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Zapp/Hot Stuff, or any other good fast CA glue questions
« on: September 17, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »
I much prefer thin CA for several tasks, and semi thick (with kicker) for some areas

Lately the crap I got either gets thick / solid ( in just a few months), or takes way too long to kick off....It has been a real long time since I saw any smoke and had my eyes water....(not a particular problem for me)

Most of my CA was from Tower (Great Planes Instant), my LHS (BSI thin), or Sig ----and each was a disappointment...a bunch pitched as solid in less than 2 years... 100% waste of $$$$$$$

I have several models to build this Fall/Winter and need to order GOOD thin FAST CA

Questions
#1...what is best on line site for FRESH CA?
#2 should I concentrate on 1oz bottles?
#3 is there a product out there that actually acts as hot and fast as the Hot Stuff or Zapp I remember from the 70s?....current Zap or Hot Stuff is not very reactive like I remember

I do not store in refrig... BUT I do store both closed and opened bottles in a Humidor of sorts... a container (TupperWare) with dried desiccant packs

MILD RANT...It aggravates me a LOT that this stuff has a definite shelf life BUT NO SUPPLIER HAS THE HUEVOS to LIST the BORN ON DATE!!!!GRRRRRRr
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Zapp/Hot Stuff, or any other good fast CA glue questions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 03:37:26 PM »
Fred,
For the past few years I have been using Mercury CA I buy at Atlanta Hobby.  They have a site, mercuryadhesives.com. where you can buy direct.  After wasting money on 8 oz. bottles years ago I never buy more than I expect to use in a year and I have successfully stored it in the freezer.  The only local hobby shop left carries Bob Smith CA which I still like but I do consider it a short life item.  George

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 04:08:08 PM »
Stay away from hobby people's. That stuff has a setting issue. Even with kicker.
 I'll use Zap, Bob Smiths or Brodaks. Small bottles ( 1oz ) As needed. Also Sigment.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »
Hi Fred,
Burt Brokaw, another of the Cholla Choppers here in Tucson, discovered "Starbond High Performance Grade" cyanoacrylate adhesive some years ago.  Like a good buddy should, he notified the rest of us about it and now several of us order it in quantities of 16 oz bottles from CPH International, Los Angeles, CA 90005, Phone 1-800-900-GLUE,  www.starbond.com.  It's made in Japan.

They also supply one or two oz. containers to transfer small amounts of the stuff into as well as "Kicker" in 16 oz. bottles with smaller spray bottles for applicators. 

The stuff works very well and solved my CA problems that were probably worse than yours because of the high temps here in Tucson (130 F) during the summer in my work area without the air conditioner working.  Yes I have an air conditioner there as well as a refrigerator where I keep the large bottles.  However I've had no issues so far (two summers) with the stuff in the small bottles not kept in the refrigerator.
Delivery of the stuff has so far been quick with no issues.

The thin stuff is very quick to set and very strong.  I have the kicker also but have not had much occasion to use it with the thin stuff.  It's very dry here in Tucson in the winter time with humidity levels typically below 8%.  Most CA's have issues with setting quickly here without CA and I have had occasion to use it under these conditions.

Highly recommend trying this stuff.  It works for me and others here!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 07:34:34 PM »
Fred,
I have had very good luck with the CA from Home Depot. It is in a package of 12 small tubes, always has been fresh, kicks good and has never had a joint failure with it.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 08:27:53 AM »
Thanks all for the suggestions

It torqued me fairly to pitch several $9.99 bottles with rock glue in the trash

out here in the sticks I tend to mail order a lot and had not ever considered the smaller packages I can get locally at Ace or WalMart
Picked up a few versions of Loctite in 5G long neck bottle and small tubes

I will check what Lowes and Home Depot have next time I make the 45 mile trip to the "big city" Killeen TX

But if this stuff works as I expect my podunk town is only a short 7 miles away
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Steve Schoenecker

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 08:22:59 AM »
I have been using CA from Starbond for several years... I buy a 16 oz bottle and store in refrigerator... they give you several 1 oz bottles to work with along with several extremely fine tips...  they have a wide selection of viscosities etc.  I am also a woodturner... I have been using the super thin CA for a finish on pens... works great  You can also order more bottles tips etc... 

http://starbond.com/

I have tried to attach a copy of their price list... it is old... but it will give you an idea ...  you can email them and they will send you a current price list...
AMA 69021

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 03:57:59 PM »
I've read that while CA can be refrigerated and extend shelf life, freezing isn't a good option. That's probably been my problem. I need a beer fridge in the model shop...  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 04:02:56 AM »
I've read that while CA can be refrigerated and extend shelf life, freezing isn't a good option. That's probably been my problem. I need a beer fridge in the model shop...  y1 Steve

If you use the freezer you might try bringing it out the day before you need to use it so it will be at room temperature before you actually open it.

...Beer fridge sounds better though. :)

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here