News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:56:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile Rules  (Read 2946 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Profile Rules
« on: November 24, 2020, 10:05:45 PM »
I know that most profile rules are regional but there has to be some set out there somewhere that outlines the basics.  I am really only concerned with two questions.  Electric Motor covering and can controls be run through the fuselage.  A link to a complete set would be nice.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: Profile Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 11:14:59 PM »
There aren't any real rules...other than what your local contest director deems necessary to impose on contestants for that contest or fiefdom. 

3/4" maximum thickness for the fuselage at the trailing edge is about the only rule that should be observed.  Beyond that one simple rule, it should be pretty apparent that a profile is a profile is a profile.  IMHO, at least.

At some contests around the country, there are some really silly profile rules conventions being imposed regarding "proper" engine orientation and/or engine mounting method.  Some contests have a point deduction imposed for electrics.  So, it basically comes down to where you intend to compete and whether that area continues to abide by ancient rules set forth for a contest series (ie, Sig) that doesn't exist any longer. 
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 07:58:47 AM »
Ken, Do a search.  This question has come up many times in the past.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:30:52 AM »
Ken, Do a search.  This question has come up many times in the past.
I did and couldn't find much.  One of the problems with our search is that it expects us to use the correct words in the correct order and not use single digits.  That is part of why we keep covering the same ground and I am as guilty as the next.  What is a SQ8 or RWO?  I am down to finding out if the through the fuselage pushrod is legal.  That is so I can use Igors flap horn.  I can build a stiff enough profile to be competitive in PA if I am forced into one ship for next year which it really is looking like.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 08:51:44 AM »
Ken, please read section 7 in AMA's CL General rules (The section with my picture on the cover! H^^) There is no mention of the controls having to be external to the fuselage. Profile racers and profile scale airplanes will quite often have pushrods and/or other linkages buried in the fuse. It is an accepted, legal practice. As for engine mounting, the engine shouldn't be faired in or covered. I suppose you could make removeable fairings, and attach or remove them as appropriate.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »
  I am down to finding out if the through the fuselage pushrod is legal.  That is so I can use Igors flap horn.  I can build a stiff enough profile to be competitive in PA if I am forced into one ship for next year which it really is looking like.

Ken

Fred Underwood built his big profile ship with the Igor flap system externally mounted.  Blue or pink XPS Foam core fuselage sheeted with 1/64 ply, I believe. 

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/igor's-flap-system-thread/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:35:15 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 09:55:10 AM »
Fred Underwood built his big profile ship with the Igor flap system externally mounted.  Blue or pink XPS Foam core fuselage sheeted with 1/64 ply, I believe. 

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/igor's-flap-system-thread/
I like that.  It would give me what I need plus a simple platform to learn how to trim it.  Thanks

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline big ron

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »
https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/new-ringmaster-deluxe/msg175707/#msg175707

Allan Perret's Ringmaster Deluxe had controls inside the fuselage
John Blanchard
Brusly, Louisiana
 AMA 1054488

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 01:59:34 PM »
A couple years ago the PAMPA EC set about to establish a set of rules for Profile Stunt with a possible end goal of having a Nats unofficial event for it, much like Classic and Old Time.  My thoughts on the experience were:
1. Herding cats
2. Laying on a bed of nails
3. Having to endure one more romantic comedy to make the woman happy.
4. Feeling the neighbor’s dog taste- test your ankle

We had even thought of a pro or designers class to let the designers have sport with their peers.  There are as many ideas as participants and finally an armistice was had and  we left the field.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 02:21:23 PM »
I think I have it.  If it's flat it flies.

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 08:53:50 PM »
I think I have it.  If it's flat it flies.

ken

My Saturn TFP.
Take Apart, Foam Wing, Profile - Internal Controls
and yes... Flat!

Flown at multiple U.S. contests.

Kim

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 09:23:46 PM »
A couple years ago the PAMPA EC set about to establish a set of rules for Profile Stunt with a possible end goal of having a Nats unofficial event for it, much like Classic and Old Time.  My thoughts on the experience were:
1. Herding cats

I am shocked to hear that! OK, well, "shocked" is not the word I was searching for, maybe "completely unsurprised" is closer. That's the most important takeaway from my extended PAMPA experience, but inevitable when you have this sort of group together.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 08:55:06 AM »
  Like Crist mentioned, the profile event has been discussed at length as long as the forum has been around. The main sticking point is what constitutes a profile model. There have been no formal rules except for profile scale, and that is where some of the confusion starts and assumptions are made. The profile event was mainly started as a way to have another event to fly to hopefully attract more contestants to make a long drive to a contest. I don't ever remember there being skill classes in the midwest area, but generally, at first at least, it was the intermediate and advanced guys flying because they were most likely flying a profile model anyway and just needed one airplane for two classes.

As far as rules, that evolved to the regional thing as time went on. As technology improved, then things started to change. Much like the EZ-B class of indoor free flight, which was meant to be an entry level event for beginners but evolved into am expert only type event, guys started to really push the technology. At the SIG contest, they settled on a set of rules that a lot f clubs in the midwest used, including our club here in St. Louis. They are pretty simple and the name transitioned into the P-.40 event.  The main requirement is the sidewinder mounted engine of no more than .40 displacement. They also added a no flap 10 point bonus rule to encourage everyone flying Goldberg models or Ringmasters and other Sterling designs with no flaps to enter. No pipes or Rabe style noses allowed, as one of the challenges to the event was getting a sidewinder set up t perform properly. There was never any fuselage thickness rule, as it was generally understood that the doubler and trippler nose blocks made for a stiffer nose and better engine run.  That was really about it and in retrospect, makes for a pretty simple event that is almost like an IROC competition with out having to provide airplanes for everybody!

Some how along the way, the idea of how thick a fuselage is behind the wing trailing edge is what dictates a profile or not. I think the dimension of 3/4" was the deciding factor. I'm not sure if that is in the AMA scale description of not but I never saw that mentioned in anyone's contest announcement. It just makes the process of building a simple model more difficult and contrary to what was originally intended. I have always contended that what constitutes a profile model has been defined by the too many to be counted profile designs that have been published and the countless number of kits that have been produced in the last 60 or more . With the exception of the Rabe Mustunt series, I believe all have been a flat slab fuselage with a side winder engine. That is a precedent that can not be denied and is irrefutable.  You can take these classic designs, and still do what is needed to make them lighter, stronger and stiffer to perform better and still keep their classic outline and look. Lots of newer designs have come along also to fit this same mold. The modifications and newer building techniques have gotten to the point where some say that if you are a beginner flyer, just build a full fuselage model, as it is just as fast and as some of these modern designs.  In this day and age, using a solid plank fr a fuselage just eats up too much precious balsa that it just makes sense to use some different building techniques, and I'm all for that as long as the model still resembles the standard profile "profile!"  Then the main deciding factor for a club is power plant size.

I am the evil doer that presented the idea of a 10 point penalty for electric powered profile models in our event. The main idea behind it is that  I believe that electric models  DO HAVE an advantage in this event in that there is no "sideways" way to mount the motor. The pilot doesn't have to deal with the set up of the engine and tank to get a good run. I'm not technically educated enough to try and figure out what would limit the motor and battery to equal a .40 size engine but that needs to be addressed also. In order to get around the 10 point penalty, all you need to do is have a no flap design  for your airplane. This is all about trying to level the playing field and keep things simple and fun.  I know there are guys out there that could design and build a profile model equal to what ever won the NATS or the last World Championships, but again, that is not what the event is all about, in my opinion.

As far as an internal push rod on a profile, that is nothing new and neither is a built up fuselage. The late John D'Ottavio published a model in American Aircraft Modeler that was designed for the AYSC event where a kid had to fly the same model in several different events. It is a very nice looking airplane and sort of looks like a mini JD Falcon and is called the "Topper."  It's designed for a .35 engine, is a profile, and is classic legal and would fit your requirement for a "trifecta" airplane.
     Type at you later and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 10:17:45 AM »
Ken,
I think in most places the idea is to have a simple built model, flat sides no thicker than 3/4" at trailing edge of wing (although most are 1/2"). If you use something like a Twister size you can use something like an OS FP20 set up running low pitch /high rpm, it is right up there with piped setups or electric. It is best to keep the motor/engine open to the mounts on the outboard side. Controls could be internal or not. Don't over think, just have fun.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
Our club is working up to do a "club-build" of Ted Fancher's Imitation.  We'll most likely use a flat-plate motor mount instead of the built-up nose so we don't get arguments as to whether it is a profile or not.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 03:30:37 PM »
Ken,
I think in most places the idea is to have a simple built model, flat sides no thicker than 3/4" at trailing edge of wing (although most are 1/2"). If you use something like a Twister size you can use something like an OS FP20 set up running low pitch /high rpm, it is right up there with piped setups or electric. It is best to keep the motor/engine open to the mounts on the outboard side. Controls could be internal or not. Don't over think, just have fun.

The Twister wing is much thicker than necessary - the good speed stability will overcome any wing loading issues. I would suggest a better starting point would be the original Top Flite Tutor, it might have been bestowed upon us by the universe to fly with a 20FP or 25LA. The nose will need a modification to make it much shorter, but otherwise it's ideal.

I have a notion to go design something along those lines for profile, and maybe make it look like an A-36 Apache, but I have some other issues right now interfering with modeling.

Brett

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 03:37:39 PM »
Brett:

Look at the Last Post column!  You (inadvertently) ruined my attempt to set a new world's record for last posts....maybe I might have made  it into the Guiness Book of Records

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 03:43:04 PM »
Brett:

Look at the Last Post column!  You (inadvertently) ruined my attempt to set a new world's record for last posts....maybe I might have made  it into the Guiness Book of Records

I would never want to screw up your devious plan.

Brett

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 03:55:52 PM »
Thanks Brett!

Ah wait, by posting your apology, didn't you just screw up my record attempt trial?

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2020, 04:03:53 PM »
Thanks Brett!

Ah wait, by posting your apology, didn't you just screw up my record attempt trial?

I did?  Gee, sorry!

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2020, 04:07:36 PM »
If you want to go the TF Tutor route get a set of laser cut Nobler wing ribs from Brodak. The Tutor used that wing without the round wing tips just flat at the last rib. The Tutor fuse was a little less than 1/2"  a little twisty. You could go the Tom Morris route and hollow out the plank fuse from the mid point of the wing back and add formers then cover with 1/64" plywood (or build the whole fuse from 1/2"sq. sticks and formers then cover with 1/64 ply). This makes a very stiff fuse and light too.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 04:09:43 PM »
I did?  Gee, sorry!

Brett

Accck!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
If you want to go the TF Tutor route get a set of laser cut Nobler wing ribs from Brodak. The Tutor used that wing without the round wing tips just flat at the last rib. T

It did not, it was *much* blunter than a Nobler, and also much smaller.

Brett

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 04:11:57 PM »
But the 1/64th plywood is a good idea!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 04:35:31 PM »
Ok, here are the plans for the Tutor. If you are not using it in Classic, where it has to be the same as the original, then the Nobler wing it is pretty close, you could likely just reshape the Nobler leading edge a little and use a foam wing style stick leading edge to get there.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2020, 04:45:49 PM »
You serious guys are ruining my nefarious plans.....

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2020, 04:48:10 PM »
Ok, here are the plans for the Tutor. If not the same as the Nobler it is pretty close you could likely just reshape the Nobler leading edge a little and use a foam wing style stick leading edge to get there.

The TE is much thicker, as well, 3/8" or around that (since it was probably 1/4 with the .070 sheeting on each side, so maybe .370). You could not use the root ribs, the chord is too long. It also uses 2 (big) spars instead of a D-tube

Brett

p.s. I don't know where that drawing came from, but I am pretty sure the sheeting was .070, not "1/26th" (.038), and that was kind of important since it was intended to be covered with Monokote. Same with the sheeting at the tips, the drawing you show appears to omit that. This does not appear to be the kit drawing, maybe someone redrew it and "improved" it. The sheeting is shown as 1/26 on the inside and 1/16 on the outside, that may be a typo, but don't do it intentionally because that will really screw up the flex properties.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2020, 04:54:20 PM »
I was up to 18!

Oh well, time for dinner.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »
I see what you mean on the sheeting, it must be a revised drawing cause it also shows a carbon fiber pushrod and I don't remember the kit having that (I had one and as I remember I changed it to CF when I increase the stab/elevator span). I got the plan from https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11400, but never really looked at them. Going back to the site it indicated it was a redraw from a kit, so the planking had to be a typo I think the 1/16" is what should be used.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2020, 06:02:07 PM »
I see what you mean on the sheeting, it must be a revised drawing cause it also shows a carbon fiber pushrod and I don't remember the kit having that (I had one and as I remember I changed it to CF when I increase the stab/elevator span). I got the plan from https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11400, but never really looked at them. Going back to the site it indicated it was a redraw so the planking had to be a typo I think the 1/16" is what should be used.

BTW, if you do it, you might go through you stock of "overweight" 1/16 contest balsa sheets, you might find that they are heavy because they are actually thicker than 1/16". I did a check through my stack of SIG wood that hovered just above 6 lbs, and found that it averaged something like .072". The original sheeting on the Tutor was actually either .070 or .080 - noticeably thicker than 1/16 but clearly not 3/32.

The Tutor was designed around this thicker wood, with several other deviations from similar-sized models because it was intended to be covered with Monokote instead of silkspan/dope, therefore the structure needed to be stiffer. The sheeting over the last rib bay at the tip (omitted in the posted drawing) was another accommodation to that. If you use 1/16 sheeting, I would very strongly encourage you to use 6-7 lb stock and not 5 lb.

I certainly can't recommend building up the fuse and the sheeting it with ** 1/64 ply **!  It's great stuff but holy crap, is it heavy. I might recommend building it  conventionally with 1/64 ply doublers ending in an ellipses about 1" behind the wing, just to reinforce the fuse at the trailing edge, but no way use it for the whole fuse. If are going to build it up, I submit that you could do the same thing with medium-hard 1/32 balsa, or medium 1/16 balsa, and fiberglassing it. If you are worried about the tail twisting, you will get a lot more effect if you either apply balsa doublers with the grain vertical under the stab platform and use a large fillet (aeropoxy light or Superfil, or criss-grain balsa triangle stock). If you build it up, you an make it internal, otherwise, just put it on the outside in a big ellipse that encloses the entire stab root and taper the edges.

It would also be much more effective in terms of stiffness to weight if you increased the thickness of the fuse to, say, just under 3/4", and then built that up with balsa face sheets. 50% more cross section with negligible weight gain.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2020, 07:07:39 PM »
Ok, here are the plans for the Tutor. If you are not using it in Classic, where it has to be the same as the original, then the Nobler wing it is pretty close, you could likely just reshape the Nobler leading edge a little and use a foam wing style stick leading edge to get there.

Best,   DennisT

The Tutor is a stand alone design by Mark Baur. Mark is the son of the late Charlie Baur,  long time notable scale modeler. A lot of people thought it was a profile Geiseke Nobler but as mentioned it is considerably smaller, and not anywhere classic legal, but definitely super 70's. I have a kit cut by Eric Rule that has a 1" longer tail moment than stock, but have never really looked at the plans for any other changes, but I don't think there are any. You may want to contact RSM and see if they still have the files for that kit.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2020, 08:02:42 PM »

The Tutor is a stand alone design by Mark Baur. Mark is the son of the late Charlie Baur,  long time notable scale modeler. A lot of people thought it was a profile Geiseke Nobler but as mentioned it is considerably smaller, and not anywhere classic legal, but definitely super 70's. I have a kit cut by Eric Rule that has a 1" longer tail moment than stock, but have never really looked at the plans for any other changes, but I don't think there are any. You may want to contact RSM and see if they still have the files for that kit.

I consider this one of the first recognizably modern stunt kits from a major manufacturer - even if it was one of the very last new designs by a major manufacturer. It ticks a lot of the boxes -

more power - you can make the engine bigger, or the airplane smaller. Everybody has a Fox 35, so smaller it is, much smaller in this case (410 VS 550)
more tail volume - proportionally longer tail,  leave it the same size but make it longer. More or less the same idea as the Fancherized Twister.
reduced flap area - proportionally less flap area
better airfoil - much more blunt
structural flexibility - takes into account the available and appropriate finish (Monokote) and recognizes that stiffness matters
adjustable leadouts - first major-manufacturer kit that included the most common lead-out adjustment. Actually maybe the *only* adjustable leadouts from a major manufacter aside from the Gieseke Nobler kit which appeared about the same time.

None of these things were taken to their logical extremes, but clearly steps away from 50's Nobler clones and structurally rudimentary trainers like the Twister (although at least they seemed to incorporate some Mustunt ideas).

I had two Tutors.  I flew my first complete stunt pattern with a Tutor/Fox 35 - after MANY crashes and rebuilds after engine crap-outs. I finished the pattern with the engine managing to run the entire flight for the first time in hundreds of flights, went back to do a second hourglass, second corner it burps and quits again, no more Tutor #1. Second one started out with a Fix, after a few more quitting incidents, I got pissed off and put an ST46 and about 2 ounces of lead, that worked somewhat better and at least the damn thing kept running, which was a big plus. I gave that one away when I moved to California.

Both of mine had excellent kit wood and finished *feather-light*, one was 27 and the other 29 ounces with Foxes (and giant heavy Jetco solid rubber wheels) and a mere 31-32 with the ST46.   It is my considered opinion that it will probably fly better with a 20FP or "new" 25LA than it did with the ST.

Brett

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2020, 10:26:28 AM »
Screen shot of original Tutor plans from an eBay add. 

I built one in 1982, stock except added an additional rib bay to each tip.  I extended the leading edge, trailing edge and spars another three or so inches and drew a new tip rib to match.  I used that wing in three airplanes.

My first original design was the same wing built from scratch, a built up fuse and a Imitation style tail powered with a ST 46.  Actually flew pretty good.  You St Louis guys may remember it in Skoal Bandit stock car colors.

I think I still have the original plans in my plans box.  Unfortunately everything is packed up for an impending move.  I’ve always wanted to build another Tutor.

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOP-FLITE-TUTOR-CONTROL-LINE-PLANS-/133189977537

Here is a link to the above eBay add. If you enlarge the photo in the add it is much clearer than the screenshot I posted above. Apparently eBay won’t allow you to save photos from their adds. 

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2020, 10:48:25 AM »
  Hey Bruce! About what year was that with the Skoal Bandit? I started flying competitively around 1987 or so. I remember picking up a Gieseke Nobler kit from Mark Twain Hobby for your Dad to give to you along that same time frame and delivered it during one of the Quincy soaring contests.  My son Sean made an appearance on the local TV news coverage of the event and he was 4 or 5 at the time. Scared the crap out of me when he wondered off and was found about a mile down the road from the sod farm!

That eBay seller also shows a Gieseke Nobler kit plan, and a good, easy way to compare the two. The Nobler plan has 13 ribs per wing and the Tutor only 9. The Nobler airfoil shows more pointy, although a sanding block can cure that compared to the Tutor.  The Tutor is an attractive looking model, and for sales purposes I'm surprised that they didn't copy Bob's paint scheme! I wonder what total sale were like individually for the Nobler, Gieseke Nobler, and the Tutor?  Lots of green box Nobler kits out there, guys buying them and then putting them away for "some day when I can do a real good job on it"  and that day never came. I think the Gieseke version and then the Tutor are a little less common., that being a sign of the times of the fall off in C/L participation.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2020, 11:38:55 AM »
Dan, I think i finished that plane after I started at Parks in Sep 83.  I know I flew it at several Buder contests and my last time there was in college. That would have been the 1985 Season.  I graduated in Apr of 86 and I doubt I made any contest in early 86.

The model started out in green monokote and a Parks College buddy, Jim Allen from Jacksonville IL enlarged the Bandit logo and we cut it out of 4 colors of film. It was about 6' in diameter. That was  fun night in the dorm. as I recall lots of exacto blades, beer and bandages.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 11:59:13 AM by Bruce Shipp »

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2020, 12:30:00 PM »
my first plane when i got back into modeling was a Tutor with a S/T 46 with Muff.never thought to check the C/G ,first flight almost pancaked it trying a loop,took it home ,checked c/d on plans and started cutting the front end back until i got it to balance .flew that thing for over a year almost every weekend .some of the most fun i ever had,RAD
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here