News:

• May 06, 2024, 10:12:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying the Pattern are you Goofy Or Regular ?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Flying the Pattern are you Goofy Or Regular ?
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:14:43 PM »
Lets move off Nats and BOM talk for a moment... and have some fun :  y1

What is goofy and Regular you ask?

Those are skateboarding/surfing terms referring to what way you face - basically left footed or Right footed.

Depending on what foot you kick a football with - If your a Right footer your Right foot SHOULD be at the back of the device.. however some do it in reverse and they are goofy..

Anyway - getting back to stunt - I know of a Handful of fliers who fly in normal level flight - The up line is a down movement and Down is an Up movement. The same as if we "regulars" fly inverted - and opposite for them flying inverted.

Does anyone here fly that way ?

Are you Goofy Or Regular ?
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Re: Flying the Pattern are you Goofy Or Regular ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »
Regular for me.

Although once I was nervous and picked up my handle upside down - Did the whole "up down up down wiggle " and saw the plane respond with up down up down wiggle.. so I took off.

Well It went 1/2 lap and I couldnt understand why It didnt take off until I saw the elevator doing DOWN - so i quickly acted like I was flying inverted and gave down and it took off.. It was a VERY uncomfortable flight - i just went round and round in circles doing nothing but trying to act like I was flying inverted with a model that was going the opposite direction - Very disconcerting indeed..
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:40:35 PM »
Just last week I was down in Seattle getting ready to catch a flight and stopped at Mike Haverly's for a look at his new ship and we got to talking about flying goofy.  Mike does indeed fly that way, with giving what we think of as down control to go up.  I told him that when I was young, a flyer I flew with did the same and I think those two are the only ones I've ever seen do it.  Mike said that when he first started to teach himself to fly he picked up the handle horizontally ( he's right handed) with the lines clear ( no twists).  With a conventional mounted bellcrank the back line is the up line, so he gave what we think of as down control to make the elevators move up.  I always wondered how those two came up with it and now it makes perfect sense.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 10:45:53 PM »
regular flier - goofy skater and surfer.....can kick with both feet and pass a rugby ball equally well with both ways - can even bat in cricket left handed - have been working on throwing with my left arm too - still feels weird.

I know 2 guys that fly with the handle on the horizontal - palm down - but that is how they learnt I guess
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Joe Daniels

• 24 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 06:20:06 AM »
I fly regular but flying buddy Mike Ditrich has always flown goofy. Didn't know there was a name for it though. And I am still trying to fly nearly as well in my regular way as he does in his goofy way.

Joe Daniels

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:35:17 AM »
I dont know what its called.

Goofy and regular are surfing terms - I thought It was appropriate.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:38:27 AM »
Flying; regular

Rifle; Goofy

Hand gun; Regular

Pool Q; Goofy

Hand writing; Regular

Archery; Goofy

Guitar; Regular

In life;..............................................

Don't ask my wife this question about me, she will give ENTIRELY different answers.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 10:10:28 AM »
In 1953, I taught myself to fly CL clockwise, up at the top of the handle.  In 1955, I had a brief fling at combat and learned to fly counterclockwise with handle upside down.  Flew that way for 50 something years.  About three years ago I build a Herns Demon for Old Time Stunt.  The tank slid in from the front and the airplane was completely finished when I started on the tank.  I realized that that I was making an upside down tank???????? Then I noticed  I had built a clockwise flying airplane. OK, I made the first few flights very carefully, and worked up to flying a reasonable pattern.  Airplane has been flown successfully at the 2008 and 2009 VSC's.  I fly better going counterclockwise as I still have to think about what I am doing when flying clockwise. 

If you get bored with flying the pattern, build an airplane going the other way and learn to fly the pattern with it.  It is challenging and interesting to do, and, I feel like I have accomplished something unusual. S?P

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
I learned "goofy" and when I tried "regular" several years later it was instantly re-kitted. That was the last time I tried that idea.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
Warren Walker flies Goofy.  And darn well!   ;D
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »
I have been told I look goofy when I fly. Does that count? LL~

My pattern still looks goofy by my scores. HB~>
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »
Hey Paul; I resemble that remark. Just don't tell the judges.
Jim Kraft

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:35 PM »
Lew Woolard flies backward and don't call him goofy as he still beats the pants off most of us.  What I noticed at VSC is how many left handers were flying.   I learned to fly with right hand.   At times I have tried to fly left handed and got to where I could take off and land okay.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 05:25:20 PM »
I assume you mean what Alan said: that you give what is nominally up control to go down (sorta like a fighter jet - push the stick forward to go up). Mike Haverly indeed flies this way. I've known a couple of other. I assume you aren't talking about clockwise versus counter-clockwise flight (I've done both).

Surfing and skateboarding, I'm a goofy foot - right foot in the front (direction of travel). Learning snowboarding was weird since you do both.

Regular for flying, I guess: tilt the handle back to go up.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »
Guys,

For the Goofy's how do you hold your handle - vertically or sideway?

Best,             DennisT

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »
The famous Author, James C. Johnson (aka "Jimmy Johnson") (book on model airplane collectibles) flies CCW and tilts the handle forward to climb, so he and Mike H. have that in common. When Mike and I went to VSC together in '09, Mike found somebody else that flew as he did. I wouldn't have any idea who it was, but Mike might remember. I always check the controls for Mike, and tell him they're backwards. He nods. It's about all we agree on, I think. Well, that and Thunderbolt glowplugs.   LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 11:48:08 PM »
I assume you mean what Alan said: that you give what is nominally up control to go down (sorta like a fighter jet - push the stick forward to go up). Mike Haverly indeed flies this way. I've known a couple of other. I assume you aren't talking about clockwise versus counter-clockwise flight (I've done both).

Surfing and skateboarding, I'm a goofy foot - right foot in the front (direction of travel). Learning snowboarding was weird since you do both.

Regular for flying, I guess: tilt the handle back to go up.

If I'm not mistaken...you mean "push the throttle forward to go up?" Push the "stick" forward, the nose will go down. H^^
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 12:33:22 AM »
I hold it on a 45 degree angle.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 07:54:16 AM »
The famous Author, James C. Johnson (aka "Jimmy Johnson") (book on model airplane collectibles) flies CCW and tilts the handle forward to climb, so he and Mike H. have that in common. When Mike and I went to VSC together in '09, Mike found somebody else that flew as he did. I wouldn't have any idea who it was, but Mike might remember. I always check the controls for Mike, and tell him they're backwards. He nods. It's about all we agree on, I think. Well, that and Thunderbolt glowplugs.   LL~ Steve

That had to be the one and only Lew Woolard.  Otherwise known as the silver fox. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 09:06:17 AM »
Actually it was 2007 and the other person was Doug Benidetti.  He was ahead of me in the old time pits next up for pull test.  The pit boss says "Hey your handle is hooked backwards"!  His reply pretty much was the same as my standard smart remark.  Something like "Don't worry about it, I fly like that"!   I laughed and said "Me too"!  What's the odds in that, we both had Barnstormers too. 

Mike Haverly
Mike

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »
Strangest thing I have seen was a guy flying with a Hot Rock handle held horizontal with a hand on each end, actually holding the cable.  He flew the airplane through various maneuvers, and seemed to fly pretty well.  He said he had learned CL alone and that was how he taught himself to fly.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here