News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:18:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: All good things...  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
All good things...
« on: March 13, 2021, 07:47:37 AM »
Fifty three years ago (1968) I cut my first foam wing. I had read an article in Model Airplane News by Ed Izzo and Ray Olson that was titled “Styrofoam: A giant step forward” In fact, I read that article many, many times and studied the techniques that Ed and Ray outlined in great detail. I showed the article to my father, James A. Hunt - who was a noted machine designer - and he also liked the idea of a foam core wing and he told me that he could easily make a foam cutting transformer to allow me to try the idea.

While-dad was assembling making the transformer (the main one that I still use to this day!), I made a foam cutting bow and ordered some 1.5 Ohm/ft Nichcrome wire as suggested by the article.

We found a supplier for foam, but had no idea that there were various types of expanded polystyrene bead foam (EPS). We didn’t know that the foam we needed had to be virgin bead foam. The foam we found had some reground foam in it and because of that it had hard spots through which the heated wire had trouble passing without causing terrible lines and gouges in the surface of the cores. And that was just one of many lessons that we learned the hard way. Perseverance paid off, however, and I started producing really nice cores once we found a supplier of virgin bead foam.

Now, these were not the first foam wing cores made for control line airplanes; Mike and Arnie Stott had been producing foam core wings as early as 1965, but they made only solid core wings at that point with just a slot in the inboard panel to allow the leadouts to pass through The first ones I made did not have any internal coring either. But the article in Model Airplane News had shown internal coring for an RC Pattern wing core. Ed and Ray opted to cut through the surface of the core and then have the wire go around a coring template and exit again through the same hole in which they started the cut. Neither dad nor I liked that idea and we came up with a hole spurring device that allowed us to make clean holes in the foam blanks that would allow us to pull the Nichrome wire through the core, and then hook up to the bow and cut out a section without disturbing the surface of the foam. At first we did two-section coring, but Mike and Arnie had caught up with the technique and were doing the same with their cores. As far as I know, we were the first to implement three-section coring with no breaks in the surface, and hence produced the lightest cores to that point.

At that point I wasn’t in “the business” and made cores for myself and then soon for my friends, who quickly saw the advantages of the lighter foam cores. I made cores for several of Bill Simons’ planes and also for other local fliers.

It became apparent that I had a lot of “friends” wanting foam core wings, and so I made the decision to get into the business of commercial foam cutting. I began offering triple cored, covered foam wings in 1969, and have been in the business either full or part time ever since with only one small break in 1989 when we moved to a new home.

East Coast great, Gene Schaffer began using my wings in 1970 and produced many great flying ships, including his legendary Stunt Machine with wings made by my Control Line Specialties company. And throughout the storied 1970s the vast majority of foam core wings used in CL Stunt competition at the local and national level came from my shop. In fact wings that I have produced have won more national and world championship CL aerobatic titles than those made by all others combined! I’m very proud of that.

I changed the name of my company to Control Specialties because I was also selling a lot of foam wings to the RC Pattern and Scale community. In 1981 RC Pattern legend, Tony Bonetti won the top honors at the Nats in Sequin, Texas using one of my wings. That kicked the door open to a lot of RC business!

Along the way my father and I developed a lot of foam cutting techniques and foam construction features that virtually all subsequent cutters have copied and adopted. Among those features are foam core flaps that are cut integral with the wing and are then separated after sheeting, the landing gear plate system that is both lighter and stronger than the normal maple block system, the Lite-Ply ribs that accept the landing gear plates, and molded leading edge caps that fit onto a core that has been cut with fully rounded nose, making for a much more accurate and light product.

In 1990 I started development of a technique I called the  Lost-Foam Wing Building System Actually it was a misnomer, and I now regret not naming it the “Foam Form” Wing Building System, because that more accurately describes what it really is. I liked the inherent and easy to achieve accuracy that a properly cut and covered foam wing virtually assured. I began thinking about a wing building system that would take advantage of the accuracy of the foam cradle pieces, which are just as accurate negative airfoil shapes as the foam cores are positive airfoil shapes. I devised a system in which the foam wing blanks are marked for desired rib positions for a built-up wing, prior to being cut into a wing shape. Once the core was cut, the rib positions could be marked accurately onto it and labeled, and they could also be marked and labeled in the lower cradle section. The core could then be cut up into extremely accurate rib stations to be used as templates for generating equally accurate balsa ribs. An absolutely perfect built-up representation of the original foam core shape could then be assembled in the lower cradle half, which was now a form-fitting building fixture.

The very first wing built in the system was absolutely accurate in every respect. That wing was built for my Tucker Special, which went on to win the Vintage Stunt Championships. Its wing was light, strong and true!

Since that time, I have been constantly developing and improving his Lost-Foam Wing Building System. Its success is evident by the large number of top C/L aerobatic champions who have chosen Lost-Foam as their preferred wing building method. These champions include Bill Werwage (who used the Lost-Foam method to build the wing for his 2004 World Champion P-47 Thunderbolt), David Fitzgerald, Bob Gieseke, Frank McMillan and Bill Rich. Dozens of other successful C/L Stunt competitors also used and recommended the Lost-Foam system.

Of all the techniques and innovations that I have been involved with in my life, the Lost-Foam method of building a wing is the one of which I am most proud. It is also the one of which my father was most proud…

I also cut wind tunnel test wings for McDonnell-Douglas and Lockheed along the way, race car wings, and even special props for man-powered airplanes that made an assault on the Kremer Prize for being the first such airplane to cross the English Channel. Along with that were also hundreds of very custom wings for very specialized applications in our hobby to add to the thousands of wings made for more “normal” hobby applications . It has been an adventure…

And now it is time for that adventure to come to an end. After 53 years of serving the CL Stunt community with my wings I have decided to retire. This was a very difficult decision for me, but it comes at a time when I’d like to spend more time building and flying my own Stunt models and also spend a lot more time with my family - including our Golden Retriever, Casey, who is my steadfast and beloved pal.

I want to thank my wife, Marianne, here for the steadfast support she has given me over the years in my endeavors in flying and in business. She has put up with a lot and I love her dearly. I could not have done any of this without her. She has been a gracious host to the seemingly hundreds of modelers who have visited our homes over the years. She has a lot of patience...

Above all I want to thank my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Without Him I am nothing.   

Contributing to my decision is the fact that quality materials for making light, strong and accurate wings are becoming increasingly difficult to find. I will not compromise the quality of my products by using sub-standard materials.

I have decided that June 20th will be the last day for the doors of Robin’s View Productions to be open, coinciding with the Nats this year. I will continue taking orders up to the point where I have enough good materials to make quality wings. And those will be on a first come, first served basis.

Additionally I will cease production and sales of my line of DVD programs, my Hardnose Motor Mounts, my selection of plans, and my Lost-Foam Wing Building fixtures.

Please go to the Robin’s View Productions site in Vendor’s Corner here on Stunt Hangar for details on what products are available up to the closing date and on pricing; there are some close-out specials…

My most heartfelt thanks go out to all my loyal customers and friends for the many years of joy that producing products for our community has afforded me. This has been the most rewarding part of my life.

Bob Hunt
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:23:49 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: All good things...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 08:19:49 AM »
    Thank you very much for all that you have given to this great hobby of ours.   Good luck and good health to you in your retirement! I had to make the same decision earlier this year after the company I was working for decided to shut down due to the affects of the Covid economy.  It is different! And as much as you dream about it all your life, it is a difficult adjustment to make, I have found out.  I think you are up to the task!!
  Congratulations,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 09:24:45 AM »
Well done, thy good and faithful servant!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 10:01:58 AM »
There aren’t enough words.

Extraordinarily happy for you, if anyone deserved to kick back and enjoy some time it is you. A huge thanks for everything you have made for me over the years and your outstanding contribution to keeping the stunt flame alight.

Tortured Stunt Flyer Department

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 10:07:44 AM »
Thanks for all the great products over the year Bob.
Enjoy your retirement, and stay healthy.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 10:15:28 AM »
Bob, I am happy for you even though there is an adjustment coming for you.  Getting used to having six Saturdays a week is a good but challenging adjustment.  A busy dude like yourself will have a bit of "slow-down" reaction, but you can do it. 
I well remember when you and I first became acquanted over the phone and were working on FM publishing my one design when we first shared Christ as Savior together!  What a thrill that was for me! These many years since have been such a pleasure to know you as friend and you have belssed my life in so many ways, so take heart, you're gonna love this new phase even more!
Be blessed, be very, very blessed,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 11:05:30 AM »
Bob.  I admire your dedication to a unique service to the modeling community.  Running a small business isn't all it's cracked up (sic) to be.  The most frustrating part of "doing it alone" has to be coping with the continuous (and frustrating) phone calls at all hours from customers, and potential customers.  These people mean well, and they have honest concerns.  But dealing with customers disrupts normal life, and even impacts family members.

My own company, Aero ply Research Co. produced electronic products of various sorts for the commercial aviation trade , including spark ignition products for modelers and people who built their own internal combustion engines.  After being a slave to the telephone for over 20 years, i turned the marketing duties over to various other companies.  I finally decided to get out entirely in order to live a normal life.

I hope your foam core business will continue, but operated by someone else.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 12:36:34 PM »
Booby,  as stated you will find retirement a different life.  I have learned a lot from you and enjoyed the few times I talked to your Dad.   It would be great to have some one much younger take over your business and keep the high quality.  Any way when that day comes take time to really enjoy it.  Also having a LORD and savior to watch over us does help a lot. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 05:13:02 PM »
Glad to hear you will now have the time to keep them square corner pullouts comin’. Enjoy life to come! Thanks for the ideas, work and articles.

We owe you a lot!

Just ride safe on the ‘cicle.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 08:09:48 PM »
I was with you back in your F105 - Flushing Meadows days. Glad that you and I are still here to share the memories. God Bless you.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 09:43:47 PM »
Glad that you have enjoyed what you did I have met you a few times. Flushing meadow park and a hobby shop in Queens you came to . I enjoyed seeing everything you built and it has given me a lot of joy watching you fly. My life was better because of your contributions. While your no longer producing videos i hope the knowledge never dies. Good Luck sir.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 11:48:28 PM »
What many others have said repeated!  Best Wishes for the future, you have been a HUGE blessing to the modeling community!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 05:29:46 AM »
All the best Bob.....
Enjoy!

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 08:30:07 PM »
Well Bubba, what can I say except-------it's been one hell of a ride!
Best wishes for everything you do from here on out.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 10:07:50 PM »
I wish you all the best in your retirement Bob, and I can't thank you enough for what you've done for the stunt community and for me personally in my own stunt journey.

Your wealth of knowledge and eagerness to share it with the world have been blessings for us all.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 01:03:35 AM »
Bob,
All the best as you transition. Keep at the modelling, keep track of what day it is and enjoy your family.
Thank you for all the information shared over the years. I have certainly enjoyed the fruits of your labor for many years.

I truly hope we meet up some day...... H^^
Gord VT
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2021, 02:21:55 PM »
Wishing you all the best in your retirement Bob.
As others have expressed thanks for all your contributions to our hobby and I look forward to your continuing involvement on the weekly hangouts.

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 06:30:46 PM »
Bob,

All the best on your retirement and now you can invest more time in your family and things you want to do but don't forget the 'honey-to-do list' that just appears out of now where. Now you can enjoy the HOBBY.

Thanks again for your contributions to Stunt.

Roger Greene <>< †
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 11:32:14 PM »
Bob, I'm sorry to lose your contributions, but glad for you. There comes a time for all of us to claim some of our lives for ourselves. Good for you. I'd like to thank you personally for your encouragement and your tireless times  "in the trenches" expertly editing at least two of our last remaining model aviation publications and writing such well expressed articles on the history and technique of CL aviation. I hope that from time to time, you will be able to share further in that way. Have a great and safe time!

SK

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 06:59:22 PM »
Yo Bob,I have those flaps that were first cut from the entire foam core. They were on the Genesis I creamed when the glow plug came loose. I saved the flaps! When I see you I'll give them back to you for your wall. Best of Luck,PhillySkip

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »
Your talent and hard work stand way above the rest of us mortal toy airplane builders and you are surely a "Master" builder that the rest of us can only try to imitate. You are the Best of the best. Continued Blessings !
AMA 33676

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 07:59:52 AM »
Wow! I want to thank all who have posted their well wishes here and also to those who have called with their thoughts. I'm a blessed man to have so many friends.

As you might imagine, I have received a lot of orders for wings and other products. I will get to them all before the deadline, but it will take some time. So, if you have ordered a wing, please be patient; I want all the wings that go out to be just perfect.

Thanks again - Bob Hunt

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2021, 10:50:59 PM »
Wow! I want to thank all who have posted their well wishes here and also to those who have called with their thoughts. I'm a blessed man to have so many friends.

As you might imagine, I have received a lot of orders for wings and other products. I will get to them all before the deadline, but it will take some time. So, if you have ordered a wing, please be patient; I want all the wings that go out to be just perfect.

Thanks again - Bob Hunt

OH my, Bubba!  Just caught this before heading off to get some sleep so as to get up early and sing for an actual (mini) congregation on Palm Sunday...sure glad I did.

While our community will be less so without your skills and generosity in sharing them we can all thank our lucky stars to have been able to benefit from your talent, your ingenuity and your willingness to share them all with us.  There are an awful lot of us stunt flyers who were a lot better off on finals day thanks to you.  Thank you, God speed to you and yours and keep pickin' away at those guitar strings.  Truly enjoyed getting to learn and rejoice in your latest passion.

Ted and Shareen

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2021, 06:04:54 AM »
Bob, you and your products are still in demand, good luck with your retirement. When it does happen I too wish you blessings all around.
You’ve been a positive influence in our hobby and in our friendship. The times in my front room mixing it up on the guitar. Your personal instruction on building the lost foam wings.
Remember back at the first FCM contest you and John Davis on circle #4 ? What a story that is. Lots of memories go way back and lots of memories yet to make. Happy retirement.
By the way, the wing you made for my Davis Special last year is in its trim color stage, I’ll send you pictures when finished.
Blessings

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 01:42:32 PM »
Bob;

I am both happy and sad to hear you are going to stop business. Happy that you are still around to make this decision and get on with the rest of your life but sad to see one of the best in the hobby deciding to retire.

Between you and your dad I can not think of anyone else who has contributed so much to control line. I have always been in awe of the stuff that comes out of your shop! I don't know if I ever told you before but one of the most important days in my life was back at VSC 3 when we talked after I crashed my Super Clown. Over the years I have been blessed to consider you a friend. Good luck with the rest of your life and thank you very much for all of the great ideas and products you have provided.

Regards
Eric Rule

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2021, 10:01:48 AM »
 Bob, you sure have been a tremendous influence in our sport. I've always enjoyed your writings in the various magazines you were involved, and also your success in competition. We will miss those beautiful wings and the ingenuity  behind them.
        Doug

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2021, 06:10:10 PM »
Ted, Allen, Eric, and Doug - and, well everyone who posted here...

Thanks a million for the heartfelt kind words!

In times like these, people tend to get reflective and think back to all the good times; the bad times were there, I just choose to not think of them! A friend came to the shop today and while we were working on his plane I mentioned all the great messages that have been posted here about my retirement from the "wing" business. We talked a bit about it and the subject finally came around to the video programs I produced for several years. He had never seen the VSC 9 program, "Desert doorway to the past," so I got one down from the shelf and we watched it together. I hadn't watched that video program myself for several years, and it struck me as the images and the interviews came on screen just how many of the people we were watching and listening to on the program are now departed from the fold. There were several interviews with very "famous" modelers on that DVD, but also a lot of great pieces with lesser known modelers who were very enthusiastic about being there and being able to fly amongst and with so many others who had the same enthusiasm. It was very melancholy...

The thought struck me that I have a few programs that feature some of the greats of our sport who are now gone, and one featuring a world renown builder/flier who is - thankfully - still with us . I have decided to put together five programs that feature some of the legends of the hobby/sport and offer them at a special price. If you are interested, please go to my Robin's View Productions site on Vendors Corner here.

Wow! The response to my announcement has been overwhelming with email notes and phone calls, all wishing me a happy retirement. I have to remind everyone that I'm retiring from the business, not from the hobby, and hopefully not from life for at least a little while!  n~

Thanks - Bob

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:30:27 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 09:34:24 PM »
   I'm in too Bob.
               Doug

Advertise Here