News:

• April 23, 2024, 04:50:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Primary Force Wing  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Primary Force Wing
« on: August 10, 2022, 01:10:53 PM »
The plans I had for the Primary Force were sent to me years ago by Mikey Pratt.  They did not show leading edge sheeting.  I think this is about the 8th or 9th PF I have built (did I mention I really like this model?) I just love the way it looks for a profile and it flies even better than it looks.  Hopefully this 2" wide sheeting will give it more strength.  Lots of sanding to do now.  Excuse the mess on the bakers rack in the background.
I still have to glue on the wing tips.
Mike

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
Re: Primary Force Wing
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 03:57:25 PM »
Mike,
That will work just fine, the plans with the addition of the leading edge sheeting only about an 1” wide on each side of the seating edge is all that’s needed.  Are you selling this or what Buddy?  If so I might me a buyer for it.

Mikey Pratt

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 07:26:33 PM »
Hi,

I have a question concerning the versions of Primary Force.

I have the primary force plans from PAMPA and they show a straight wing with flaps.

I recently aquired a Primary force kit  that has a tapered wing with no flaps.

Which one of these is the later version? I always thought the one in PAMPA was the original primary force.

Just wondering.....   H^^

Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 09:21:40 PM »
Hi,

I have a question concerning the versions of Primary Force.

I have the primary force plans from PAMPA and they show a straight wing with flaps.

I recently aquired a Primary force kit  that has a tapered wing with no flaps.

Which one of these is the later version? I always thought the one in PAMPA was the original primary force.

Just wondering.....   H^^

The first plan you are referring to is for The Force, also designed by Mike Pratt. Check the title block again. Mike originally sold short kits with plans, PAMPA was given both designs to sell plans for, SIG released the ARF version of which there is no plan as far as I know and it does vary some from Mike's original, and recently Mike was selling short kits with plans and I think there were some small changes with this version but still similar to the original design. So, again, what you have with the straight, contestant chord wing and flaps is The Force.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 10:46:21 PM »
Mike,
That will work just fine, the plans with the addition of the leading edge sheeting only about an 1” wide on each side of the seating edge is all that’s needed.  Are you selling this or what Buddy?  If so I might me a buyer for it.

Mikey Pratt

Hi Mikey,

Honestly, I have not built anything in probably two years now but got bored and decided to go through the closet and find something.  I have two sailplanes that are pretty much done but laid them to the side to build the Primary Force.  It was not a hard decision on which one I was going to build when I looked in the closet.

Mikey, I am going to keep it, but I assure you if you were close distance wise, I would not sell it to you, I would give it to you.

Thanks for some great designs for us all to enjoy. 

Mike

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 04:06:27 PM »
Hi Mikey,

Honestly, I have not built anything in probably two years now but got bored and decided to go through the closet and find something.  I have two sailplanes that are pretty much done but laid them to the side to build the Primary Force.  It was not a hard decision on which one I was going to build when I looked in the closet.

Mikey, I am going to keep it, but I assure you if you were close distance wise, I would not sell it to you, I would give it to you.

Thanks for some great designs for us all to enjoy. 

Mike

Mike, how is the FF going? Did you use that TD I sent you?
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 06:41:51 PM »
Mike, how is the FF going? Did you use that TD I sent you?

Bill, I have not even started on the free flight kits I have yet, so I have not used your TD.  I have been retired for 17 years and still cannot find the time to do everything I want to do.  I have been heavily involved with the Cajun Navy as part of their drone team for emergency services search and rescue and also damage assessment for the storm victims.  I thought when I retired, I would have all the time in the world for hobbies but that is not the case.  I have surgery to fix a Hiatal Hernia next Friday and that is going to put me down for a little while too.

Hope you are well and having some fun.

Mike

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 09:22:49 PM »

The first plan you are referring to is for The Force, also designed by Mike Pratt. Check the title block again. Mike originally sold short kits with plans, PAMPA was given both designs to sell plans for, SIG released the ARF version of which there is no plan as far as I know and it does vary some from Mike's original, and recently Mike was selling short kits with plans and I think there were some small changes with this version but still similar to the original design. So, again, what you have with the straight, contestant chord wing and flaps is The Force.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
So if I understand correctly Dan, there is the Force and then the Primary Force.
What came first?
This is my Force it is larger then the P-Force and has flaps.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 09:55:27 PM »
Paul I really like the paint scheme on your FORCE.  What size OS LA do you have on it?  I have several OS LA.46 that I need to put on something.  The reason I like your paint scheme so much is because living in New Orleans I am a Tulane fan, but a bigger LSU fan and they are the Bengal Tigers, and your plane reminds me of a Tiger.  After building several Primary Forces, I would like to build a FORCE as well. 

Mike

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 10:20:35 PM »
Hey Mike
Yes is a 46. It has been converted to electric. I need to dust it off and start flying it again.
Thanks I can’t take all the credit on the paint job. The wife helped picked this one from a stack of photos I downloaded years ago. I think it was on a RV-6 at Oshkosh. 🥴

Oh and my AMA number is on the wing. It’s ghosted in the paint. 👍🏼
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 09:43:03 AM »
Hey Mike
Yes is a 46. It has been converted to electric. I need to dust it off and start flying it again.
Thanks I can’t take all the credit on the paint job. The wife helped picked this one from a stack of photos I downloaded years ago. I think it was on a RV-6 at Oshkosh. 🥴

Oh and my AMA number is on the wing. It’s ghosted in the paint. 👍🏼

Hi Paul,
Thanks for sharing a photo of you Force, great looking model.  The Force was the First of the series of all the Force models that I designed and built, Force, Magnum Force, Primary Force, Delta Force, G-Force, and P-Force XL.  Now that the electric power system has become so popular I’ve been converting them to electric, it’s fun and I’m sure in time it will be even better.

Later,
Mikey

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 09:55:25 AM »
Paul I really like the paint scheme on your FORCE.  What size OS LA do you have on it?  I have several OS LA.46 that I need to put on something.  The reason I like your paint scheme so much is because living in New Orleans I am a Tulane fan, but a bigger LSU fan and they are the Bengal Tigers, and your plane reminds me of a Tiger.  After building several Primary Forces, I would like to build a FORCE as well. 

Mike

Mike,
Let me know if you want a set of plans for the Force, I’ve made a few changes to the design to upgrade to more modern standards.  My Prototype Force still flies very well all though it getting pretty long in the tooth and oil soaked, it was never crashed or damaged.  The only reason I was asking you if you wanted to sell P/Force wing, I have Primary Fuse & tail Group that needs a wing lol.

Later,
Mikey

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 11:35:27 AM »

Hi Paul,
Thanks for sharing a photo of you Force, great looking model.  The Force was the First of the series of all the Force models that I designed and built, Force, Magnum Force, Primary Force, Delta Force, G-Force, and P-Force XL.  Now that the electric power system has become so popular I’ve been converting them to electric, it’s fun and I’m sure in time it will be even better.

Later,
Mikey
Thanks Mikey for the compliment. Once I get my mojo back I will dust this one off. 🤣
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2022, 12:43:10 PM »
You built 8-9 of these? Do you still have them, did you crash them or decommission them somehow? I'm just trying to understand, I've built maybe 2 of the same design. Maybe I'm not far enough along and still building different designs. I guess when I find something that really works for me I'll have 8-9 of them? That's a good topic for another post, who's built the most Ringmasters, Twisters or something.

Motorman 8)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2022, 02:07:46 PM »
You built 8-9 of these? Do you still have them, did you crash them or decommission them somehow? I'm just trying to understand, I've built maybe 2 of the same design. Maybe I'm not far enough along and still building different designs. I guess when I find something that really works for me I'll have 8-9 of them? That's a good topic for another post, who's built the most Ringmasters, Twisters or something.

Motorman 8)

Hi Walter,

I guess I just really liked the design of the Primary Force and something else I liked was the way they flew.  I am nowhere near being in the league of some of the expert fliers on here and never will be because that is not one of my goals and I also have some physical problems that just make it uncomfortable for me to try and fly the pattern.  However, in my personal experience in building and flying full fuselage and profiles, I found the Primary Force to corner and stunt as well as any full fuselage ship with flaps that I ever built, but again, I am relating that to my flying skill.  Short answer, I just like the design and the way it flies.

I have either given away or crashed the previous ones I have built.  I gave most of them away.

There is a story connected to the last one I built before this one I am now building.

Here is what happened.

I have been on a flight crew for the Civil Air Patrol for years and one of the members of our flying club here in New Orleans is a minister and a Chaplin in CAP.  He had a 13-year-old son who was a cadet in CAP and he woud come to the field with his dad and we would let him fly one of our models and he got pretty good at flying them.

So, as a surprise, I built a Primary Force and put an OS LA25 on it and took it to the field and surprised him with it.  As you might imagine he was thrilled to have his own CL Plane that was ready to fly. All he had to do was fill the tank with fuel and go fly.
This all took place during the Covid Lockdowns and hysteria was taking place.
He took the plane home and hung it on his bedroom wall.  At this point, he had not even had a chance to fly it.

Simultaneously, he was waiting to hear back from the Civil Air Patrol Glider Academy as he was going to get his sailplane license.  Just a few days after I gave him the plane, he got word that he could not attend the glider academy because of Covid. 

He took his life that same day when he got the news because he was so depressed and had such hopes to be a pilot.  Imagine how devastating this was to everyone.

Sometime after this all happened, I was contacted by his father, and he thought it would be a good idea to hold a raffle for the model and then donate the proceeds the Civil Air Patrol Cadet program and that is exactly what we did.

The last I heard of the model, was that it was hanging in Hobby Towne Hobby Shop in Baton Rouge, but I also heard that it had been sold.

Walter, I guess in some strange way this whole thing gave special meaning to me about the Primary Force and I often think about this young man who was so full of life and loved to fly control line and never had the opportunity to live his life.  Thirteen is to young to die.

Anyway, I hope I answered your question of why this particular model is special to me.

Mike

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2022, 03:09:02 PM »
Mike - That story has changed something in me. I will never walk into the circle again quite the same.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2022, 05:21:48 PM »
Mike - That story has changed something in me. I will never walk into the circle again quite the same.

It did the same thing to me John.

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2022, 10:58:07 AM »
Mike,
Let me know if you want a set of plans for the Force, I’ve made a few changes to the design to upgrade to more modern standards.  My Prototype Force still flies very well all though it getting pretty long in the tooth and oil soaked, it was never crashed or damaged.  The only reason I was asking you if you wanted to sell P/Force wing, I have Primary Fuse & tail Group that needs a wing lol.

Later,
Mikey

Mikey I just sent you a PM about the FORCE plans.

Mike

Offline Arnaldo

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2022, 01:40:54 AM »
Mikey, I sent you a PM.

Thanks
Arnaldo

Offline Sina Goudarzi

• AMA Member