News:

• April 23, 2024, 03:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Price of Hurricane Taifun 2.47 Diesel engine?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Price of Hurricane Taifun 2.47 Diesel engine?
« on: March 08, 2023, 10:59:52 AM »
     Hi all:

Can anybody give an estimate for a fair price for the above engine?

The engine is NIB, rear intake with a clapper valve.

I need this information ASAP!

Tia,

Frank

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Price of Hurricane Taifun 2.47 Diesel engine?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 11:10:37 AM »
I think those are 1.5 cc, not 2.47

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 02:55:45 PM »
     Hey Steve:

Good eye!  Yes, it indeed is a 1.47cc or an .09 cu. in.

Thanks for the help!

Frank

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 05:41:33 AM »
I have one floating around here somewhere. As to value, I have no idea. I do remember that it was rather expensive when I got it.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 10:47:23 PM »
You might look at this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204219995479

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 08:08:51 PM »
     OMG Dave!  I was going to offer $20.00 just to get it to play with!  Now things have really changed!. 

I will tell my friend how much this one sold for and he may change his mind. Lol. At my age, I have no interest in buying it!

Thanks for the help.

Frank

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 06:52:50 PM »
 I have a Taifun Tornado which is the 2.5 diesel that I got with a bunch of ignition engines I bought years ago. I have never run it but it seems to be in great shape. I may make a small batch of fuel and run it one of these days as I have never run a diesel yet. Diesels are really popular in Europe. The Brits seem to love them.
Jim Kraft

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 06:36:01 PM »
I have a Taifun Tornado which is the 2.5 diesel that I got with a bunch of ignition engines I bought years ago. I have never run it but it seems to be in great shape. I may make a small batch of fuel and run it one of these days as I have never run a diesel yet. Diesels are really popular in Europe. The Brits seem to love them.

The Taifun Tornado 2.5 was my first diesel, which I bought at ModelCraft Hobby in the Los Angeles area...not sure exactly what city they were in. Barney Snyder, proprieter. Price was $16. The interesting design feature was that there was no contra-piston per usual diesel practice. The cylinder had a blind bore and the cylinder was pushed down by the compression adjusting screw. I've since wondered how much timing was affected during reasonable compression adjustments. Probably not enough to worry about. I mixed my own fuel using kerosene from the base gas station and ether ordered at the pharmacy. I'd guess that I used castor oil from the same pharmacy, but don't recall for sure. That was circa 1961, Edwards AFB.   :P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 06:52:27 PM »
"I've since wondered how much timing was affected during reasonable compression adjustments. Probably not enough to worry about."

That's the main point of the compression adjustment--to advance/retard the timing.

Offline Steve Maines

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 06:58:33 PM »
I have the Hurrikan and the Hobby

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 04:48:52 AM »
My Taifun Tornado uses a conventional contra-piston. Are you sure you aren't thinking of another engine?

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 11:54:35 PM »
"I've since wondered how much timing was affected during reasonable compression adjustments. Probably not enough to worry about."

That's the main point of the compression adjustment--to advance/retard the timing.

I was, of course, referring to exhaust timing, if the cylinder did move as my 16 year old eyes saw it. I did know about contra-pistons, so I was surprised. Since I don't have the engine anymore, and can't recall just where it went, that's all I've got. It seemed like a silly way to do it, what with a blind bore (if I am correct), but O&R and probably others had done that about 20 years prior. I wonder if maybe newer production Taifun Tornado 2.5's might have been changed to a typical contra-piston design to reduce production cost? Other things about it I recall are that it had a full crank disc with zero counterbalancing, it vibrated a lot, and one of the ball bearings was bad. First bb engine I ever had, 61 years ago.

Ignition timing would definitely depend on compression, plus fuel mix, probably cooling ducting efficiency (if any) and I would suppose, needle valve setting. But I'm not much of a diesel fanatic.  H^^ Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here