News:

• April 18, 2024, 04:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Posting pictures  (Read 686 times)

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Posting pictures
« on: July 26, 2021, 03:18:33 PM »
With the new server we STILL have to resize pictures?
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Posting pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 04:37:21 PM »

Yes 1000kb is plenty
AMA 12366

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 10:45:00 PM »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline EricV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 08:38:57 AM »

Sparky's size limitation is pretty generous actually... you just can't post full resolution output from your device.

BUT... that said, if you don't like the constriction, you can just post your pic's at a hosting site (Wix, Google Photos, Imgur, Flickr, 500px, ImgBox, Dropbox, Free Image Sharing, etc) and just link them in your post here full size.

Then you don't have to downsize them and they don't take up space on Sparky's server either.

The only downside is if you ever close your account where the pictures are hosted, they will disappear from here also.

EricV

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »
I am not sure if the site saves every picture separately or if it only saves them once.  If you post multiple copies of the same thing over and over it chews up space.  I am guilty of that for a couple of pictures.  I personally do all of my SH stuff from my computer.  I hook up my phone and download regularly.  It is a 15 second process to convert any picture to 50-150k using "Paint" in about 6 mouse clicks.  Some day the Android people will give us a low resolution option so we don't have to do that anymore.  Not holding my breath.

Ken 
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline EricV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 09:54:39 AM »
Yes 1000kb is plenty

Agreed, that is plenty. I don't want to create more work for you or open a can of worms, but I was curious if there was a plug-in, so I just looked at the Simple Machines website that it seems Stunthangar is using, and someone did write a plug-in to auto-size pictures on upload... not sure how well it's written, but if you have a "test" area to play with stuff before implementing it, something like this could put the issue to bed for you once and for all so you don't keep getting asked. It's an old post, no further development, which means it either just works, or it stunk and has been abandoned, heh. There's one way to find out...

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2206

Eric

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »
I fly as an airborne photographer for the Civil Air Patrol.  We use Irfranview to clean up and resize photographs before delivering them to FEMA or GOSHEP.  It works very well.

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here