News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:25:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Postal Rates  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Postal Rates
« on: February 12, 2021, 09:19:21 PM »
I was checking Priority Mail shipping rates for shipping some COX and WenMac plastic models.  A box that is 18 x 16 x 22" and weighs 4 lbs is $102.60 from Indiana to California.  To me that is insane. 

Mike

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Postal Rates
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 09:36:36 PM »
  It's the overall girth that is the killer. they get the freaking tape measure out on any size package that is three dimensions. Most of those models will come apart pretty easy, all screwed together, if the buyers are willing to assemble them, wouldn't bother me. That gets you into a smaller box at about half the girth measurements. Might be worth check with the bus company for boxes big enough to hold those, and maybe Fed-Ex ground. Did the USPS quote you a ground first class rate, or was this priority mail?
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 09:45:53 PM »
I have had favorable experiences using the Greyhound bus with full size stunt ships in plywood boxes, coast-to-coast.  But that was more than five years ago.  Still, worth checking out.

Keith

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 09:53:45 AM »
Dan and Keith,

We are working on it.  Trying to figure out a viable solution. 

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 12:11:27 PM »
Well with the management the USPS has no wonder the rates are so high.  They now have 24 hour around the clock delivery.   Is things so important that we have that?    They need to raise the rates on the junk mail that keeps winding up in the recycle box.   Make the politicians pay the same rates we do to send mail.  Also the supermarkets and retail shops. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 08:14:13 PM »
  I sent a package to Sean today, a small box about an inch deep and about 8 by 10 inches. It couldn't have weighed more than a pound or so and to send it t he least expensive way was first class and it was $10.75 !! I couldn't believe it. I would have argued about why it was so expensive but I have had run ins with the clerk that was waiting on me before so I didn't get into it.
   This gives me a chance to rant about the USPS again! R%%%%    I have had LOTS of issues with what could be called @#$% poor service at best. Items that were sent to me 2 day priority taking a month to arrive, packages damages and literally broken into and tampered with, things like that. But there isn't much of an option, including UPS which can be more expensive with worse results, and Fed-Ex which just isn't anywhere near convenient for me. Well, the trend continues! I was expecting a package of plans from an eBay seller in Florida. Mail coming out of the south is VERY bad. I had a package coming from this same seller that was sent 3 day priority on December 17th, and finally arrived in mid January after languishing in Mississippi and Memphis, Tennessee for most of that time. This seller sent another package Monday, and I got an email notice from eBay that the package had been "dropped off" on Friday. The trouble is, my wife was sitting in the living room when the mail man came, and our dog signaled his arrival like she always does, and my wife got the mail out of the box right away. Later on the email notice came in my email which I finally noticed about an hour or so later .  I confronted the mail man today about it, and like usual he laughed it off, said it was out there some where or still at the post office building. I reminded him that I got the email from eBay that is triggered by the USPS scanning the package at delivery. That tells me that my package of plans is at someone else's house! He still sounded like he didn't give a damn. If it doesn't end up at my house Monday afternoon I will be at the post office building building in a very irate and angry mood!!!   R%%%%
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 08:47:42 PM »
Dan.....same thing happened to me recently.
I ordered a gallon of retarder from Wick's and the email came saying it had arrived. went out to look....nope, nothing.
I went to several neighbor houses and finally spotted the box sitting on the front steps next door.
So.....you going to the post office won't do any good....visit your neighbors and find out who is the lazy one who won't bring your stuff to you.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 09:52:50 PM »
Dan.....same thing happened to me recently.
I ordered a gallon of retarder from Wick's and the email came saying it had arrived. went out to look....nope, nothing.
I went to several neighbor houses and finally spotted the box sitting on the front steps next door.
So.....you going to the post office won't do any good....visit your neighbors and find out who is the lazy one who won't bring your stuff to you.

Done that already. This ain't my first time at this rodeo! I get mail all the time for another address a few streets over with the same house number, but the street name isn't even close, and they get my mail. I'm tired of having to make up for their short comings! Especially after all the tampering  and attempted thefts. This has been going on for years!
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 11:09:37 PM »
We had that problem in Vegas. The neighbors on the street were getting other neighbors mail on a regular basis. We would tell the mail carrier. His answer. O-ok sorry. In one ear out the other. We all started to bitch to the post office every time it happened. Long story short. They replaced him. Problem solved. 

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 02:35:39 AM »
Wow, I pay a fraction of that to ship fish packed in dry ice home. Try FedEx or UPS?
AMA 76478

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 03:17:23 AM »
USPS problems?  Just a suggestion: Chain of Command.

It occurred to me many years ago most of us as employees report to someone, who in turn reports to someone, who reports to someone ...

I've had an issue with a couple of post offices.  Asked the Postmaster for the name and phone number of the Regional Supervisor.  Issue resolved instantly.

Friend of mine totaled a car in one of our lovely Minnesota blizzards and icy roads.  Waited and waited for his insurance company to settle.  I finally wrote a letter to the Minnesota Commissioner of Insurance.  Couple of days later the friend came home to find the insurance agent waiting for him, check in hand, asking "Did you really have to get the Commissioner of Insurance involved?"

Same friend had an issue with Sears store in his area.  VERY expensive Craftsman tool chest (he's an A&P Mechanic) failed; he returned it for full credit and purchased another - which quickly failed.  When the store manager refused to accept the second, I went with the friend to confront the manager, who stated accepting the second would hit his "profit center" too hard.  Next day I called the Area and Regional Managers for Sears.  Tool chest was returned for credit; that (previous) store manager found himself working as a clerk in the hardware department of a different Sears store.

Couple of months ago a TV we purchased at Target with a "Square Trade" warranty went bad.  Square Trade warranties are sold by Allstate - an insurance company.  We had a repair estimate of $375; in a phone conversation a Square Trade representative offered $118.  I told her we'd accept their check, but I'd refer it to the Minnesota Commissioner of Insurance - "you're an insurance company, after all."  She put me on hold for a couple of minutes, came back to say they'd "make an exception" and mail a check to cover the full cost of a replacement - which they did.

Incidentally, I NEVER get loud or angry in these situations - it's simply business, NOT personal.  The folk we're dealing with - like us - are just doing the best they can to get through the day, as a friend likes to say.  :)

I can say from personal experience the LAST person a Postmaster wants to hear from is usually his or her Supervisor!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 03:22:00 AM »
SHIPPING RATES FOR USPS -

https://ship.pirateship.com/

Ship one package or a hundred - they find great rates!  I don't gain anything by referring you, but you're crazy not to try this instead of paying full price at the Post Office!

No membership fees, maintenance fees, pay nothing except postage costs.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 09:18:15 AM »
SHIPPING RATES FOR USPS -

https://ship.pirateship.com/

Ship one package or a hundred - they find great rates!  I don't gain anything by referring you, but you're crazy not to try this instead of paying full price at the Post Office!

No membership fees, maintenance fees, pay nothing except postage costs.

Dennis

Dennis;  How does this work? Do they email you a label or something? I gave up trying to keep a printer working at home, so I put things on a thumb drive and take it to Kinkos.

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 10:34:00 AM »
Mike

https://ship.pirateship.com/rates

I ran your dimensions and Lampasas to dallas zipcodes
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 11:42:30 AM »
Mr. Fred,
Even with I-35 all jacked up for the next decade, I bet driving a package to Dallas will be cheaper and faster (including round trip) than the USPS can provide.
My issue with USPS is how a pandemic that most of us have managed.to survive is absolutely crippling the Post Office. I'm still waiting on a package from Massachusetts (box of 8"-7" props), that reports as stuck in Providence, RI, going on a month now. mw~
A check to Mike Hazel is still between Jackson, MS and the northwest for the last several days. mw~
I see a pattern whereby anything mailed between regions gets lost, and anything mailed within state takes a week.
Really, USPS? I thought most of letter-passing and small-box handling was automated? I guess the computers didn't get their COVID shots, or use a week antivirus solution! S?P

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 12:01:11 PM »
Could be just the quality of help that they are hiring now.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 12:06:33 PM »
Mr. Fred,
Even with I-35 all jacked up for the next decade, I bet driving a package to Dallas will be cheaper and faster (including round trip) than the USPS can provide.
My issue with USPS is how a pandemic that most of us have managed.to survive is absolutely crippling the Post Office. I'm still waiting on a package from Massachusetts (box of 8"-7" props), that reports as stuck in Providence, RI, going on a month now. mw~
A check to Mike Hazel is still between Jackson, MS and the northwest for the last several days. mw~
I see a pattern whereby anything mailed between regions gets lost, and anything mailed within state takes a week.
Really, USPS? I thought most of letter-passing and small-box handling was automated? I guess the computers didn't get their COVID shots, or use a week antivirus solution! S?P

I have had to rely on the postal service regarding some retirement details with my financial advisor. They can mail me a form at the end of their day and it gets here by the end of the next day, or the day after at the least. If I mail it back, it can take up to a week! It only has to go about 8 miles and cross the Missouri River!! I can walk it there and back in half a day!!  A lot of it has to d wit individual post office facilities. Lots of tampering and thievery.  I have had eBay items stalled like yo described, in limbo somewhere! In my experience, it has a lot to do with people just giving a damn and doing their job.!! I ordered a kit from Walter Umland once, and you know how he wraps his kits with white paper?  It got to me and it was flat on one side with a black tire mark the length of the kit! I have pictures some where to prove it. I took it to my local office that my mail routes through and showed the post master. His words were, "That is the way we got it!"  I told him that I know Walter, he's a friend of mine, and I know Walter wouldn't run over a kit and then send it to me!! He just stared at me, no apology or anything. I told him he was pathetic and left. This particular office is known for things getting "lost". I NEVER send a gift card with a greeting card of any kind. They never get to where they are going. The workers feel the cards as they handle them and if it feels like a gift card, it's gone for ever. That's just not hearsay, I have had it happen to me and several relatives. My sister sent me a Christmas card a few years ago, and it was a personalized one with a nice laser cut Christmas tree ornament taped to the inside. When it got to me, the end of the card was neatly sliced open. The ornament fell out before I opened it and it was broken. The perpetrator of this crime (yes, tampering with the US mail is a felony!)  saw it was just a wooden ornament and slid it back in. How it got to me that way can only be explained that it was some one local from that office to my mail carrier that cut the envelope to see what was inside. I have had boxes delivered to me with holes the size of some one's thumb poked through corrugated cardboard, the perfect dimension like it would be if some one was holding the box. Then they could see what was inside. I've lost count of how many I have received like that. There is NO package handling machine in the world that would punch a hole just like that. I do not send out any mail through that office any longer but I have no choice on my incoming mail coming through there. It's infuriating!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 12:11:30 PM »
I guess it really depends on what state you live in, then narrow it down to the city/town.  I see the check I sent Mike H., cleared the bank after a couple of weeks.  If I remember right there were post offices in small towns of the North West that were open one day a week.  Just got some junk mail delivered on this Sunday.   Church was canceled because of the little snow storm. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 02:16:53 PM »
For what it's worth, try repackaging the stuff in a flat rate envelope, well insulated and send it off! $8.40 f memory serves accurately and will get there relatively fast!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 02:47:19 PM »

No Dan, you can print labels yourself or download a pdf file and print it elsewhere.

Dennis

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 11:36:11 AM »
Well the thread is about USPS postage RATES and has morphed into how FUBAR all mail is in the world...

Mikes estimate had to be for Priority Next Day service ....the same size package goes First Class or Priority for $22~$37 depending on Zip code

You can use USPS on line or this Pirate app to play what if....I recommend doing just that

I use UPS a bit and all I ever do is drop off the package,,,cuz the labels are printed at home as soon as I pay on line

My wife quilts and does stuff for large family all on east coast from Atlanta to Northern West Virginia.  WE mail boxes darned near monthly that are bigger than mike's and much heavier.  19x 24 x 20 7 to 9 lbs.... very most expensive last year needed Priority and insurance so $65..... but normal First class is usually 26 to 38 bucks and occasionally I mail magazines and books as the old 4th class book rate that still exists.

And for what it is worth I have daily USPS, almost daily Amazon/UPS and occasional FedX...FedX sux I always get the package but they report delivered a LOT when is has NOT been delivered...makes me ask all neighbors if they got my stuff.

USPS and UPS are near flawless for me/us...a few things take the trip around the world to get to me but that is not an issue with my rural Zip code

Since COVID 80% of the von Gortler's consumption is mail order, including groceries and food

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2021, 01:54:42 PM »
You mean like the carriers that throw the mail in the trash so they can start day drinking early?

Motorman 8)
  Exactly and then some.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 07:24:06 AM »
My kids had bad mail service for a long time and they and their neighbors complained with no result.  Then one of their neighbors found mail had been thrown in a dumpster at the local pool/rec center.  That complaint finally got some traction and their mailman got replaced.  Of course, the guy didn't get fired and now some other area is getting bad mail delivery.

Why do we need 6 day a week delivery of junk mail?  I'd be happy if the mail came 3 days a week.  After all, we use email or some other electronic medium is the message is urgent.  Why are our tax dollars subsidizing the delivery of junk mail?

USPS is a buggy-whip, 3rd World operation that has long been obsoleted by electronics and private delivery services.  We need to get rid of the whole thing - or better yet: auction it off to a commercial outfit. 

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2021, 07:41:42 AM »
My kids had bad mail service for a long time and they and their neighbors complained with no result.  Then one of their neighbors found mail had been thrown in a dumpster at the local pool/rec center.  That complaint finally got some traction and their mailman got replaced.  Of course, the guy didn't get fired and now some other area is getting bad mail delivery.

Why do we need 6 day a week delivery of junk mail?  I'd be happy if the mail came 3 days a week.  After all, we use email or some other electronic medium is the message is urgent.  Why are our tax dollars subsidizing the delivery of junk mail?

USPS is a buggy-whip, 3rd World operation that has long been obsoleted by electronics and private delivery services.  We need to get rid of the whole thing - or better yet: auction it off to a commercial outfit.

Sorry disagree big time, I will never use any of the delivery company's unless I have to in Canada they are the only ones who will deliver lipos but they suck on a massive scale. Every delivery always comes with some extra charges, one time fed ex sent me a bill a month later for brokerage fee's that were more than twice the cost to deliver in the first place, sorry for the rant but I can't stand Fed Ex UPS etc. and will not use them. 
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2021, 12:04:00 PM »
Sorry disagree big time,

Interesting.  I didn't know that the USPS also served Canada and that they were rated very highly up there.  Down here in the "states" there are a lot of people not pleased with the USPS.

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2021, 03:54:30 PM »
Interesting.  I didn't know that the USPS also served Canada and that they were rated very highly up there.  Down here in the "states" there are a lot of people not pleased with the USPS.

Hi Scott thank you for the reply. The vast majority of C/L products I order come from the States, if I want to use Canada Post instead of UPS etc. I still have to select  USPS for shipping, they handle it first then hand off to Canada Post and even during Covid I've yet to have an issue, parcels have all arrived in a timely manor undamaged. And no hidden costs...lol

And of course I just jinxed it.  LL~
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 04:31:26 PM by Dwayne Donnelly »
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2021, 06:53:57 PM »
No Dan, you can print labels yourself or download a pdf file and print it elsewhere.

Dennis

Hi Dennis;
    I tried this sight out today and it worked well for me. Saved almost 5 bucks on a package I'm sending out. In the past I have used the USPS estimator on their web site and even when rounding dimensions up and also the weight, I still wound up paying more at the post office.
  Thanks again!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2021, 07:50:47 PM »
Dan,

Glad Pirateship.com is working well for you.  The discounts are great - similar to what eBay offers for sold items.

And their cust svc is good, too.  We were concerned about a first class pkg we sent to the IRS in GA Oct 23, which arrived Nov 16.  Pirateship told us not to give it up as lost while we waited.

Peter

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2021, 08:07:37 PM »
Dan,

Glad Pirateship.com is working well for you.  The discounts are great - similar to what eBay offers for sold items.

And their cust svc is good, too.  We were concerned about a first class pkg we sent to the IRS in GA Oct 23, which arrived Nov 16.  Pirateship told us not to give it up as lost while we waited.

Peter

Hi Peter;
     Well the way I see it, once the package is in the hands of the USPS it is their responsibility. Pirateship just sells the postage like a lot of other vendors and venues. I have dealt with the same situation you have many. many times and I am dealing with it right now on a package that eBay and the USPS says was delivered but I was standing in the living room that day when the mail came and it was not there!!So far, in my past experiences, the missing packages have shown up eventually, but why should we just be satisfied with that?? What about any trouble or inconvenience you had with the IRS or that I had experienced?  If it were an easy proposition to be compensated significantly for this, maybe that would improve things. I have come to the conclusion that for the most part, the USPS has a problem with a significant number of employees who just don't give a damn, and it's almost impossible to fire them. No consequences for their actions or inactions!  It didn't used to be like this!!
    Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 01:15:16 PM »
   Hi Peter;
     Well the way I see it, once the package is in the hands of the USPS it is their responsibility. Pirateship just sells the postage like a lot of other vendors and venues. I have dealt with the same situation you have many. many times and I am dealing with it right now on a package that eBay and the USPS says was delivered but I was standing in the living room that day when the mail came and it was not there!!So far, in my past experiences, the missing packages have shown up eventually, but why should we just be satisfied with that?? What about any trouble or inconvenience you had with the IRS or that I had experienced?  If it were an easy proposition to be compensated significantly for this, maybe that would improve things. I have come to the conclusion that for the most part, the USPS has a problem with a significant number of employees who just don't give a damn, and it's almost impossible to fire them. No consequences for their actions or inactions!  It didn't used to be like this!!
    Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee

Dan, a great many of the carriers who come to your door are not full-time USPS employees as you probably think of them.  Check out openings for "Rural Carrier Associate" on the USPS website.  In general they're expected to provide their own vehicle, receive no benefits, and are basically employed day-to-day, usually with little opportunity to become "real" USPS employees with benefits.  Yes, they may end up driving a USPS vehicle, but agreeing to provide your own is part of the contract.

That said, the pay is much better than McDonald's and there's no excuse for not doing ANY job right.

Dennis

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2021, 10:37:27 AM »
Dennis said: "That said, the pay is much better than McDonald's and there's no excuse for not doing ANY job right."

100% agree with this

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here