News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:00:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Poop!!!  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Poop!!!
« on: September 17, 2018, 11:50:12 PM »
Dang it!  I know it's not flying related, but I'm just venting a little. My '04 Subaru Forester decided that 290,600 nearly trouble free miles was enough. Went to leave work and I think I lost a valve!  Thankfully we had bought a new Forester just 2 weeks ago.  As if I didn't have enough to do, now I have to pull a motor! Was planning to put a new clutch in anyway, just waiting for the time. Apparently my hand has been forced.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Poop!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 01:55:19 AM »
That's outstanding service. You should be proud to get that many miles from your vehicle.
And, you seem to have known it was coming. Again, a thing to be proud of.
Best of luck in the engine swap/rebuild.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 07:15:56 AM »
Given good maintenance, many vehicles are capable of running up high mileage relatively trouble free. I currently have a '98 Chevy S10 that is now relegated to work around the house that has 270,000+ miles of service under its belt. Doesn't use oil, drip oil, etc. Still got a lot left in that little Isuzu 4 cyl.

Gave a '99 Chevy 4WD Blazer to the daughter to help them out during a financial crunch. It had 240,000+ miles on it and still ran great. No oil burning/etc. Unfortunately, it was totaled in a non-injury accident and that was that.

Changing the oil and filter every 3000 miles and keeping it serviced will do wonders for a well made vehicle.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 07:42:51 AM »
That's outstanding service. You should be proud to get that many miles from your vehicle.
And, you seem to have known it was coming. Again, a thing to be proud of.
Best of luck in the engine swap/rebuild.
Very happy with the car, you are quite right. That car has been amazing. I'm going to fix it and get another 100k out of it!  My youngest named it the cockroach because it just won't die. Lol!

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »
My 2004 Mustang has just under 220,000 miles on it and I still buzz it up to 5,500 rpm once a week. I had a friend rebuilt the front end recently and he said the ball joint were the worst he had ever seen.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 10:14:24 AM »
That happened to me. 1992 Chevy S-10 Blazer with 492,000 miles on it. Got in to go to work. Car started right up like usual. Put it in reverse and it went "CLUNK" and died. Thrown rod. Hey, almost a half million miles. Got my money's worth. The new car, a Kia Sorrento, will likely not go as far.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 11:10:44 AM »
Subaru's are a good vehicle We ( wife at the time ) bought two at the same time. A station wagon and a Brat back in the day. Had just north of 300,000 miles on the brat. The station wagon close to that.
The engines seem to be bullet proof. But then again was told they were light aircraft engines converted for vehicle use.
 Good preventative maintenance is a must. Forget that 5,000 10,000 mile crap. Changed the oil & filter every 3,000  and kept a consent watch on everything else.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 08:26:54 AM »
Sadly, my Subaru was a piece of junk. One failure after another. Unfortunate, as it was exactly the car I wanted. Perfect size, good ride and handling. Plenty of room for models. Comfortable seats. Gave up on it at 100k.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 11:46:56 AM »
Sorry to hear that.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 08:58:13 PM »
ZSounds like it got jealous and had a hissy fit , to me .  S?P

I just gave a Subaru workshop manual away , this morning even . So your to late for that . Cost $ 2 at the op shop yesterday . No oil or grease
on it either .

here in Aus. or N Z youd just pick up a low k m Jap Import motor  . Theyre nearly new & unthrashed . Just sat idling in Tokyo Traffic most of their days  . Clean as a whistle inside . Or you wouldnt touch em .

Sounds like you need to research the Hot Tips on the computor , after youve had a quite talk and appologised for you negligance .  ;D LL~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here