News:

• June 17, 2024, 09:02:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Mod Squad!  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The Mod Squad!
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:11:42 PM »
I saw the beginning of a Mod Squad episode (please don't inquire why...) today, and right at the very beginning, there was a familiar sound - a model airplane engine with distinct Doppler shifts. The entire opening scene was of Linc flying a Cox PT-19. Did OK, and I think it was really Clarence Williams III flying the darn thing, level about 40 degrees. It had a typical "landing" in that it quit up high, with little velocity, and then more-or-less lawn-darted and knocked the wing off. That's some product placement, Peggy Lipton was in the scene later, so it was a win-win.

I didn't see the rest of it (and I have never managed to sit through an entire episode, this show is awful even by *my* low standards) so I don't know if there was more.

Brett

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The Mod Squad!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 05:50:18 AM »
I remember that episode! Perhaps I shouldn't have confessed that...  ^-^

I even remember the My Three Sons episode in which there was a CL stunt contest and Robbie tanked it so his friend could win and get a scholarship.

Hey, I even remember the "What I want to be" series on Disney (Yes, the Mickey Mouse Club...) where they flew at Disney Land on the Future World circles. Perhaps Bart could fill us in more on that one...

We all missed the boat; we could have been movie and/or TV stars... Nah!   ;D

Bob Hunt

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:11:18 AM »
I remember CHIPs... there was one episode in which Ponch and John were "attacked" by a radio control plane...
I'll try to watch the modsquad episode 8)

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 08:40:19 AM »
There was also a Superman episode with a criminal inventor flying a 1/2A ukie and another kids show with Andy Divine where he flew a 1/2A model right on the stage. In the movies I remember in THEM (giant mutant ants) they found a 1/2A FF in a drain duct in LA (I think) that gave them a clue as to where the missing kids were and the ants. In the movie The Clown DODO Delwyn's (Red Skelton) son was enticed by his mother's boyfriend with "Real gas model airplanes". Ronald Reagan (Dutch Reagan then) did a radio play by play of a Jr Birdman contest in the early 30s.

There was also some Saturday AM kids show where kids were flying RC and one kid liked another kid's model better then her own so when the kid wasn't looking she grabbed the transmitter and flew it, really cheezy.

Dang this brings back allot of remembrances.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:35:23 AM »

I remember an episode of Hazel, where Harold Baxter( the kid of the house) was flying CL

It would be so cool if the AMA could dig through the archives for all modeling activities that were aired on TV or the big screen and put together a time capsule of sorts, for those of us that yearn for nostalgia. (Do you ever yearn)

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Steve Kocher

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 11:07:21 AM »
If you want a laugh, watch Abbott and Costello go to Mars.  The movie opens with Costello flying a 1/2A C/L model.  The funny part is that he is standing still in the circle, whipping his arm behind his head while a dozen kids are standing with him in the circle talking.  He eventually lets go of the handle (no safety thong) and the plane crashes into a store window next to the local cop.

Steve.
Steve Kocher
AMA 388654

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »
I remember a "My Three Sons" episode where one son (Chip?) had his eye on a control line model at the LHS. Won the event with it was the climax.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »
I actually had a Screen Test for the Mod Squad, 1967... Michael Cole was a genuine nice guy, the Merc woody was real, and Clarence Wms. lll was 'bigger than life'. (really a heavy, serious actor)

My friend/co-worker Jamie Espinoza was an agent for a child actor, who had a part in a Mod Squad episode, "When Smitty comes marching home". (IIRC)

The story line centered around a little Latino boy who had witnessed a shooting...there was a German Shepherd that saved the kid when the shooter discovered he had witnessed the crime...The child actor was there accompanied by his grandmother, and developed a friendship with the dog. He was crying when the episode 'wrapped', so Michael Cole (Pete) had been aware of the little boy's love for this dog and on the final day of shooting presented him with a German Shepherd puppy!
The boy's grandma said they couldn't afford to feed this dog, and that's when Michael, Peggy, and Clarence walked her over to the Merc woody...opened the back window and the car was stacked to the ceiling with canned dog food! True story.
Lots of wet eyes that day!

Oh, my screen test. Some other guy got the part. I was better looking, though.  y1

I recall a Police Story episode where they were chasing a mad bomber, a real enemy of the City.
They labeled him as a 'toy freak', and in one instance, the 'suspect' was in a vacant lot, dressed to the hilt, very 'uptown African dude', sporting an afro and a Fedora hat, flying a 1/2a plane.
Can't recall if it was a PT-17, but it flew smoothly. And he did it with such style!  

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »
I remember a "My Three Sons" episode where one son (Chip?) had his eye on a control line model at the LHS. Won the event with it was the climax.

I remember that one. I think the prize was some sort of scholarship and Robbie ended up crashing on purpose so his closest competitor, from a family with tight finances, could have a chance at some higher education that he probably couldn't have afforded otherwise.

Found it!     

Offline Bart Klapinski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »

There was a serial episode that showed flying at Disneyland. I think the show was the Mickey Mouse Club and the serial was about two brothers who would go on different adventures. I do not remember the serial name. They did a spot at theThimble Drome and while Keith Palmer was being interviewed (out side the circle)I was one of the flyers and either flew with Lee Heinly or George Molitor and i believe the film was in black and white. I had forgotten about that .

Tempest

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 09:44:28 PM »

There was a serial episode that showed flying at Disneyland. I think the show was the Mickey Mouse Club and the serial was about two brothers who would go on different adventures. I do not remember the serial name.

Spin and Marty

Brett

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »

'....way down yonder on the Triple R...yippee yay, yippie o.....",  Key of "F", three flats, no pentatonic minor scale here!  :)

dg

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 11:31:40 PM »
Ah, yas. I recalls an episode of Baywatch where Pam Anderson and David Hasselhoff were flying fast combat. David won the match with two kills to one, but Pam had the nicest "spinners". I think y'all are bullchitting us.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 08:21:04 AM »
I conducted a memory status check by googling "Spin and Marty" at the Triple R.  First three hits confirm some memory cells are still vital. Did MAD magazine run a series of "Pin and Smarty"?   dg

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »
       There was also a funny episode of "Magnum P I" involving Higgy flying an RC plane early in the morning and disturbing Magnum's sleep. Near the end of the show when HIGGY was once again flying early in the morning, thus awakening a very mad Magnum, who then picked up a 12ga. shotgun and blew it out of the sky.
        Doug

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »
There is a episode of Alfred Hitchock presents where the dad comes home from a business trip with
 a new plane for his kid, but can't find time to take him flying.
So the kid goes to the park and is befriended by Bruce Den who shows him how it's done.

I found it on Hula.    W.W.

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 01:01:59 AM »
I've mentioned it before, but I vaguely recall a '60s TV show or perhaps movie that featured an arch-villain who had his henchmen practicing CL combat in front of the evil-mansion as part of their henchman training.

My memory suggests that it was British and perhaps a bit James Bond-ish, although not James Bond.

Sound familiar to anyone? I'm yet to find anyone who recognises the description.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here