News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:22:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plastic Film Seal?  (Read 2012 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Plastic Film Seal?
« on: December 31, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »
I'll wager that the film on the new Brodak ARFs doesn't stay stuck any better than previous...
I have used clear urethane furniture stuff on the seams in the past.
My friend Joel has clear coated the entire plane....
Some have used hair spray? A bald guy as I recall.....
There used to be a product called DecLac but I cannot find any....
What are folks using?

Thanks...and Happy 2018! 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Plastic Film Seal?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 04:03:26 PM »
I'll wager that the film on the new Brodak ARFs doesn't stay stuck any better than previous...
I have used clear urethane furniture stuff on the seams in the past.
My friend Joel has clear coated the entire plane....
Some have used hair spray? A bald guy as I recall.....
There used to be a product called DecLac but I cannot find any....
What are folks using?

Thanks...and Happy 2018!

Rich,

3M Edge sealer # 3950.

Might want to give that a try. No guarantee because I've never used the product.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 04:07:27 PM »
I have used clear nail polish on other coverings and I think it helps.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to go over the seams with your own iron either.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 04:20:49 PM »
Doesn't  Monocoat  make  a liquid  Trim Seal ???  Maybe  we should  ask  Larry Fernandez

Randy

Online Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 04:54:50 PM »
Rich,

3M Edge sealer # 3950.

Might want to give that a try. No guarantee because I've never used the product.

CB

Why would you suggest something you have never used?
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 04:56:40 PM »
I did a test on the new Brodak plastic covering and it is far superior to the old stuff.
The new plastic covering has the same colors and characteristics as the covering from Hobby King.
I have a model that was covered 7 years with the Hobby King covering and it is still good today.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 05:19:55 PM »
Why would you suggest something you have never used?

Because that product is designed exactly for this purpose.

I know others that use it with great success. So I'm told.

I'm in the Sign, Art and Graphics business and in this business we don't troll each other. There's no jealously. Just a great bunch of guys trying to better their knowledge and abilities with the use of professional products made for the trade community.

We chat about new products, and old products, all the time.

I've never experienced misleading information, not with these guys anyway.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 07:15:33 PM »
Doesn't  Monocoat  make  a liquid  Trim Seal ???  Maybe  we should  ask  Larry Fernandez

Randy

I knew as soon as saw the subject heading, that some wise-ass would drag my name into this
I didn’t think it would be you Randy

Happy New Year to you all!!
Even my smart-ass so called friends

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 08:36:04 PM »
Because that product is designed exactly for this purpose.

I know others that use it with great success. So I'm told.

I'm in the Sign, Art and Graphics business and in this business we don't troll each other. There's no jealously. Just a great bunch of guys trying to better their knowledge and abilities with the use of professional products made for the trade community.

We chat about new products, and old products, all the time.

I've never experienced misleading information, not with these guys anyway.

But you don't use it in your business? Any reason for that? Are you new to this business? Have you read up on this product to learn of it's properties? I just did, and it doesn't sound like something I would use on a IC powered model because it is not oil resistant. And it doesn't have a very long shelf life, and is probably expensive to boot. Your buddies in the sticker business probably don't know spam from shoe polish about fuel proof finishes either. It will probably turn into a gooey mess when fuel and exhaust residue get to it. If you don't use it in your own business, or on your own airplanes, and know nothing about it, it's not a good idea to recommend any product to any one. I'm just sayin'.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
I guess I will throw my two cents in.  People that have trouble with the iron on coverings probably never read the instructions completely.   I remember when Monokote first came out with the sticky glue/color you had to be careful with.   Then they improved with the adhesive/color and made it so much easier.   I tried Solar film when it first came on the scene.  Never again as the hobby shop quit carrying it.  I've used almost every brand of Monokote copies.   I learned to get a good seal I had to ipe the edge down with acetone or alcohol.   Yes, I did have a few in which the edge lifted, but a little work and it was corrected.  All coverings take a learning curve and patience. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
A few years ago one of my acquaintances suggested a mixture of 1/2 Fletch Glue (used to attach feathers to arrows) and 1/2 MEK that's methyl-ethyl-keitone peroxide. I mixed some up, didn't inhale any vapors and applied the mix to the edges of some old Brodak covering. It worked for me and is still attached! Get the Fletch glue at a hunting outlet/store MEK is or used to be available at Lowes and Home Depot. You might give this a shot. 

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Blaine Buchtel

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 04:17:48 PM »
FYI, MEK and MEK peroxide are two different animals. MEK is an often used solvent while MEK  peroxide  is the hardener used to "kick" polyester resin. Regards,   Blaine
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:20:07 PM by Blaine Buchtel »

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 09:41:01 PM »
I have been using monokote trim solvent for years, put it on with a small brush and wipe and push down. Don't know if anything will work on some covering. Should work great on this new stuff.  Steve

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 03:29:02 PM »
I have used KBS Diamond Finish Clear coat (https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html) on the nose of my Yak-Yak as a test three years ago and it is still solid no edges lifting. KBS recommends cleaning surface to remove oil then scuff with 600 paper. They have a 15 oz rattle can and a 4 oz can either listed for $15.95. One thing about this product at least with the can is once opened is has about a 6 - 9 month ish shelf life. I had tried the 4oz sample kit and resealed the lid with saran wrap but it went solid on the shelf. I think the rattle can may have a longer shelf life.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 07:49:40 PM »

Randy

I've used the Monocoat stuff for decades. Seal down any obvious edges with a iron first. Then Just wet a cue tip and run it down the edges. First thing I do with every ARF. Very smelly I do it outside. After your done you don't even see it. Not perfect but way better then hot stuff.
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 12:04:59 PM »
Seal the edge down by wiping the iron from the panel across the edge.  Wiping the iron forces airbubbles near the edge out so the adhesive can seal.  That can be very difficult to do in some nooks and crannies unless you use a trim iron.
Lightly brush on a narrow strip of epoxy along the edges, especially near the motor area.  Wipe any excess off with a paper towel for a clean finish,  The idea is to leave a tiny amount of epoxy along the edge to seal the adhesive in.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here