News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:01:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two day Build of Profile Hellcat  (Read 845 times)

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Two day Build of Profile Hellcat
« on: January 07, 2018, 08:32:47 PM »
Hello
My 10 year old son Otto made me promise to help him build a model to replace his small profile scale Kawasaki Hein Ki61 (with OS 15 ) after I finished my Viking classic stunter before our Nationals on the 3rd of January here in New Zealand. We only had 2 days left for the build after I finished my Viking but he was not giving up!  :-\
We used all the tricks we could think of to speed things up including some old Titan combat wing cores for the outer panels and he just cut and sanded the flat inner wing section out of a solid foam slab. Suspended bellcrank with dihedral wing worked out fine. One coat of clear two pack on the fuselage and then Acrylic Enamel paint but this did cause the card covering on the foam to bubble as we did not use oil based paint and did not seal it properly first.
 K&B 40 engine with 10x6 3 blade and 2.4 Ghz control of the throttle. He was still painting the canopy on the night before in the Hotel before the event. Other then the Tatone muffler working loose it flew well on the day and he got 4th in profile scale.
I have not flown it yet (yes he did all the test flights) but he is very happy with the way it flies even if it looks a little rough!
Regards Gerald

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Two day Build of Profile Hellcat
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 09:07:19 PM »
Nice job, Gerald and Otto! I built a Comet kit (24"?) Hellcat when I was 10...great looking airplanes. I probably tried to fly mine, rubber powered.

I gotta ask...what is that red/white beast on the right in one picture. I'd say it's a Chevy Blazer, but maybe a Holden version?   ??? Steve

Edit: After some sleep, I think my Comet Hellcat was 36" span...pretty big plane. I also built the Piper Super Cruiser and Taylorcraft from that series, both about 54" span. The cat ate the wingtip off the Piper.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:29:03 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:22:34 PM »
Hi Steve Thanks I've always been keen on Naval WWII aircraft and both my sons seem interested too. The old truck is my Chevrolet 1983  C10 "Square Body" have a 1982 GMC 1500 Suburban and Chevy Scottsdale C10 as well . Holden did a badge engineered Suburban here in the mid 1990's but mine are all imports that were converted to right hand drive. Regards Gerald

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:41:22 AM »
That is an amazing story and very nice build! Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:34:54 AM »
These father - son memories last a lifetime! Cherish them. Your son will.  Great job by the way and kudos for 4th place!

George Albo
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »
Way to go young man and 4th means you are trying.   Yes sons grow to fast.  By the way the plane looks bigger than him. Hope to see more adventures from this young man.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 11:32:38 AM »
For a 2 day build I'd say it looks pretty darn good! 

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here