News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:45:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plans for Ted Fancher's 2004 WC plane..  (Read 38581 times)

Offline jim ivey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Plans for Ted Fancher's 2004 WC plane..
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2010, 11:59:18 PM »
So ya flew th wings off it! I always thought that was just a saying.  Seriously looks like that was a beautiful airplane Ted, a shame you lost it. :'(   jim I 

Offline Jose Javier Rodriguez

• Ensign
  • Control Line forever.
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2010, 05:04:27 AM »
Hi Ted and company, I present my project on construction of Trivial Pursuit, the contruccion going very slowly because of my short time.
I hope you enjoy it.

• Ensign
  • Control Line forever.
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2010, 05:05:19 AM »
Hi Ted and company, I present my project on construction of Trivial Pursuit, the contruccion going very slowly because of my short time.
I hope you enjoy it.

• Ensign
  • Control Line forever.
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2010, 05:07:32 AM »
+++pictures...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Ensign
  • Control Line forever.
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2010, 05:10:15 AM »
****** VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2010, 08:13:08 AM »
Nice pictures, Jose, keep them coming, I'm sure everyone enjoys them.  y1
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:54:04 AM by John Lindberg »

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2010, 04:03:17 PM »

To add to this, I was at Dad's today which is where my stuff stays and we work, I found my set of Trivial Pursuit plans, I had Ted sign them when I bought them and here is what he wrote:
"Aaron build one and kick some serious butt! Ted Fancher"

Blurry part comes from some water damage :(

Still haven't built one, still haven't kicked some serious butt, maybe there is a correlation?   ???

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2010, 06:11:04 PM »
Access hatch Taped in place?

Surely im reading this wrong....

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »

Maybe Teddy will answer but that is what the plans say.
I must also say to anyone if you do not own these plans get them.
They are Steve Buso plans and ALL of his stuff are works of art.
We have a LOT of plans and the Buso ones are my favorite to look at, honestly some are even frame-able.
Windy's BIG Cardinal were Buso plans and man they are just fantastic.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2010, 06:18:14 PM »
Taping....... hmm not good in my opinion, fuel residue can lift that tape...

This is the version that Teddy lost due to wing failure correct??

Can we confirm or deny that the plan says

" wings to be taped to fuse "

LL~

Ive always secured the hatch with a 2.56 into small maple block with a slider hatch assembly, lsat thing you want it jettison.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2010, 06:19:18 PM »
It  (the video, vhs) shows the engine quitting just as it passes inverted in front of Bruce Hunt, it kinda startled him, I guess, he pointed the video camera at the ground and did not record the landing. He does show the bee stuck in the venturi, and a ding on the back fuse under the second "A" in "AMA" on the vertical fin. I guess the bee entering  te venturi is on there somewhere, maybe one of the people on one of the CSI shows has a device that can isolate it! Bruce Hunt probably has the video, it's from the 2003 Northwest Championship in Albany, Oregon.  I have no idea how to put it on U-tube, there is a reason I'm called "dino", short for dinosaur.>

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »

I am not sure why you say that. I tape my hatch on, save the space of having to put in a screw and nut, and it's essentially invisible.

Brett

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2010, 06:41:06 PM »
Brett..

Im saying it becasue ive never heard of taping a hatch..
Im not saying for a moment that it wouldnt work ( obviously it does ) but surely you can admit over time that fuel, cleaning products lifting the tape on and off for trim adjustments, that all this would in all probability reduce the adhesion of said tape.

If your re-applying tape, then fine.. But it just jumped out as strange, with all the engineering talk that goes on over stunters.. That simple tape seemed a little too "simplistic"

Hey im not knocking it, I can rebuff my own argument by saying i seal my hingelines with tape and have 2000+ flights without having it lift off. The only change I make is that im not pulling it off and resticking it to make adjustments.

You can not 100% guarentee that this "tape" will not fail and fly off - heavens knows you would regret it if murphy's law struck and that happened final round of the walker cup. - I just think a proper secure blind nut, or 2/56 thred would be a fail safe solution.

Im not the king of everything, if you say it works, then im not going to doubt that - just ive never heard of this system on a "pro" stunter.

To me it sounds as strange - thats all.

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »
Steve Buso's plans are the best, I have his Jaquar and Hercules plans, very detailed and easy to understand.  /DV

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2010, 09:02:30 AM »
Brett..

Hey im not knocking it, I can rebuff my own argument by saying i seal my hingelines with tape and have 2000+ flights without having it lift off. The only change I make is that im not pulling it off and resticking it to make adjustments.

You can not 100% guarentee that this "tape" will not fail and fly off - heavens knows you would regret it if murphy's law struck and that happened final round of the walker cup. - I just think a proper secure blind nut, or 2/56 thred would be a fail safe solution.

Hi P.J.,
IMHO "pro" doesn't necessarily mean most difficult or "done for effect".  It ultimately means doing things so as to be effective as possible.  I used to go to great measures to do clever things for things that could be done more efficiently by simpler means.  Although small, there is weight associated with "hardware" almost as far aft as it can be mounted on an airplane that already lends itself to being tail heavy (long tail, short nose and so on).  Ergo, why do it???  Also, I've had lots of screws "unscrew themselves" in my modeling career but can't really recall a "tape" failure (especially the Crystal Clear variety that I’ve used for years on hingelines.  The stuff is nearly indestructible and adheres aggressively.  If applied over an oil free surface it won't come off until you take it off).

In addition, access to the elevator horn is required on a very limited number of occasions.  It’s not like the cap on your tank overflow that is “manipulated” every time you fly the airplane.  As Brett commented, it also eliminates the need to make an even bigger hole in the tail in order to install the “pro” screw and nut set.

It is a very functional and essentially invisible way to secure a functional structure that has very little need for hard point “failsafe” attachment.  My hatches, for example, do nothing to retain the pushrod in the horn.  That is accomplished on the pushrod/horn connection itself.

No big deal.  It just works great and lasts a long time!

Ted

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2010, 09:33:16 AM »
I use a screw in hatch. The whole hatch rotates on. No hardware needed. Works and it's light.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2010, 10:39:57 AM »
AND very cool I might add,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »
Brett..

Im saying it becasue ive never heard of taping a hatch..
Im not saying for a moment that it wouldnt work ( obviously it does ) but surely you can admit over time that fuel, cleaning products lifting the tape on and off for trim adjustments, that all this would in all probability reduce the adhesion of said tape.

If your re-applying tape, then fine.. But it just jumped out as strange, with all the engineering talk that goes on over stunters.. That simple tape seemed a little too "simplistic"

In engineering, there is a concept called "elegance".

Brett

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2010, 11:52:34 PM »
Yeah, and don't forget "over technical under practical"......Grins
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2010, 12:37:37 AM »
Ok ok.

I conceed.. I did say in my inital diatribe that

"Hey im not knocking it, I can rebuff my own argument by saying i seal my hingelines with tape and have 2000+ flights without having it lift off."

So I can perfectly see your point, I can also atest to screws "unscrewing" and why add extra weight where not needed.

Once again you defile me with logic and common sense.

I will never forget words along the lines of During the space race one country spent millions of dollars in R&D to develop a pen that wrote in zero gravity, another country used a pencil.

<quote>
IMHO "pro" doesn't necessarily mean most difficult or "done for effect".  It ultimately means doing things so as to be effective as possible.  I used to go to great measures to do clever things for things that could be done more efficiently by simpler means.

What I meant by " pro " was A: extremely competent in a job, etc. and B :Having or showing great skill; expert:

Then again amongst my group of friends we will use the expression " thats pro " to talk about a range of things.. from hitting a great golf shot, or tennis shot, or smoking a landing - we say " thats pro " or.. " thats pure " Or we might even just throw down "pure" and give a high 5.. 

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2010, 09:31:41 AM »

Once again you defile me with logic and common sense.

P.J.  I WOULD NEVER "DEFILE" YOU.  I'LL GLADLY KEEP YOU IN MY FILES FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. ;D ;D

I will never forget words along the lines of During the space race one country spent millions of dollars in R&D to develop a pen that wrote in zero gravity, another country used a pencil.

NOW THAT IS ELEGANT...AND DARN FUNNY!

<quote>

Then again amongst my group of friends we will use the expression " thats pro " to talk about a range of things.. from hitting a great golf shot...

YEAH, BUT...ULTIMATELY IT'S WHO GETS IN IN THE HOLE IN THE FEWEST WHACKS THAT WINS!

TED

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2010, 10:53:45 AM »
YEAH, BUT...ULTIMATELY IT'S WHO GETS IN IN THE HOLE IN THE FEWEST WHACKS THAT WINS!

TED

NO that sounds like my flying,, rof HB~>
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2010, 11:15:42 AM »

TED

You know, Ted, PGA Tour Golf is like the top CLPA pilots........ their misses are a lot less than the hacker's and they know how to recover better! (from the man who has shaken hands several times with Arnold! LOL!!)

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2010, 07:18:46 PM »
  Hmm, maybe it will be OK, but I haven't seen a lot of people have much success with those, including Windy. Could be he got it worked out since the last time I saw it, though. I sure don't like the idea of the giant props, Rabe Rudder or not. One of the keys to our success (and by our, I mean Ted, David, and I, and Paul when he was running the VF) has been running about as small a prop as we can get away with. There's nothing unusual about a Trivial Pursuit that makes it less suitable for larger props, but there's a very good chance that the kind of corner it is known for will be lost.

The underlying principle of the Rabe Rudder is sound. But for goodness sake, make sure you can defeat the rudder motion, and just lock it in place. In fact, lock it in place *dead straight ahead*. Do all your trimming, all the way to the end. Then and only then add rudder motion, in very small amounts, and just enough to take out any residual untrimmable yaw motion. The required motion will be *tiny*. Most people who use them fixate on the rudder, and almost universally end up with far, far too much motion.

Brett

Brett,

I'm going to be starting with Windy's setup, and then will try experimenting once I get this thing trimmed.  Obviously this wouldn't happen until next year, and I don't want to keep doing what I've been doing, "it seems to work ok, but this is the only prop I've tried" sort of thing.  Since I'm going to the NATS, I want this thing trimmed as good as I can get it to be trimmed for any *flyable* weather condition.  I am hoping to get a couple of Dorin's 3 bladed props for the 76, once he starts making them again, and Kent Tysor told me he would send me a couple of Brian Eather's props he's been using to try out.

All of this trimming discussion is getting me all excited for next year.  ;D
Matt Colan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here