News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:08:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plane progressions-suggestions and why?  (Read 2208 times)

Offline jeffindayton

• AMA 166779
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Plane progressions-suggestions and why?
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:15:14 PM »
say they fly a Flight Streak to the point they can do the beginner stunt

....what plane or planes should they go to next to start competing???

suggest your view on what planes and the order of progressing to a full on stunt ship.........

Thanks for food for thought from dreamers and newbees ;)
Dayton, OHIO USA
Smooth Flying...not yet
Jeff Huntsman

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
Re: Plane progressions-suggestions and why?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 03:46:47 PM »
A good follow-up to the Flite Streak is the Primary Force, either the ARF or one of Mikey's kit.  Assuming the Flite Streak is powered by a .25 or light .35, the same engine could be used on the Primary Force.  Until you progress to Advanced and need the appearance points, the Primary Force is fully capable of the full pattern at high levels.  As a fringe benefit, it is also capable in P40.

Another alternate to follow the Streak is the Skyray.  The Skyray has longer moments and thus is smoother to fly than the Streak.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 04:36:16 PM »
There's always the RSM Ringmaster, Sig Twister to name a couple.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 04:37:35 PM »
I would vote for another Streak....or several....

I would look at what those that you fly with are using, and ask them why....the chances are good that someone will "adopt" you and help a bunch.....

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 05:23:46 PM »

I would have the person move to a Brodak Cardinal in any sort of flavor (kit, ARF or ARC). Once you fly a larger ship that tracks well and will do all of the maneuvers at a reasonable speed you'll never go back to the small, quick and jumpy airplanes such as a streak. JMHO.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Tom Dugan

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 09:28:08 PM »
I agree that the Magician is a good plane.  It is the last plane I flew 30 years ago.  If I could have found one I would have built it to get back into flying.  The Magician I had did have flaps.   If I'm not mistaken, Brodak just recently began kitting the Magician.

The plane I recently decided to go with was the Ukey 40.  I haven't flown it yet (I'm ready Bill) but I'm told it's a great plane.  Maybe you should consider it.  It builds very easy and doesn't look bad.  I recently placed several posts about it in the Product Review section.

Thomas

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:39:54 AM »
I would think a Ukey would be an excellent learner plane.  I understand they can be flown to 500+ patterns in the right hands.  So one could progress a long ways with one.  The Flite Streak can be made to fly very smoothly by moving the CG forward.  Slowing one down is more of a trick.  I started out with a Magician and then a Twister.  The Twister is a very good airplane, very easy to build and repair.  There are a lot of things one can do to a twister to make it better, but a box stock one will fly very well.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 08:41:13 AM »
say they fly a Flight Streak to the point they can do the beginner stunt

....what plane or planes should they go to next to start competing???

suggest your view on what planes and the order of progressing to a full on stunt ship.........

Thanks for food for thought from dreamers and newbees ;)

Hi Jeff,

A lot of good points.  My take would be to keep flying the FS until you can do the whole pattern.  In the mean time, a larger profile can be built and ready.  Even start trimming it out.  A Cardinal, Twister, Fancherised Twister, Prowler, Profile Oriental, Profile Cavalier, or other flapped profile with a 35-40 size engine would be my next step.  One of these can carry you into Advanced.  Thes type planes are getting into the "easier to fly precisely" category, and will allow you to start learning the whole "mystery" of trimming.

When you decide to go to a full fuselage stunt ship, I would consider a proven Classic plane as a starter.  These can serve as a double duty plane allowing you to fly in both PAMPA class and Classic.  More flights in front of judges, with out having to adapt to separate planes at a contest.  There are Expert Class flyers that do this at local meets, and do very well.

All the while, the same engines can be used in this progression which will serve you well in getting quality flying time as you become familiar with the engines.

When you get to the Expert level you will know what you want to build.  ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 12:02:40 PM »
Ty,

Yeah, Just build it!  Some words from me...I havn't finished a model in 7 years, ugh!

1 July is the big day I move into my house in Anniston.

Jim Pollock   n~

Offline Tom Dugan

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »
I forgot about the Twister.  I have 2 kits standing ready to build.  I see that Randy Smith gives 20% off Sig kits.  Leonard Neumann at SSW sells the Twister for 20% off also and throws in the plan for the Fancherized Twister for free.  The Fancher Twister will be my next build.

Thomas

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 10:14:36 PM »

The plane I recently decided to go with was the Ukey 40.  I haven't flown it yet (I'm ready Bill) but I'm told it's a great plane.  Maybe you should consider it.  It builds very easy and doesn't look bad.  I recently placed several posts about it in the Product Review section.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Ready when you are!  Burn some fuel!!!!!!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 12:32:49 AM »
Now if your looking to actually be the builder of the model, lets not rule out the Trophy Trainer kit I am in the  process of producing.  see link >>  http://www.builtrightflyright.com/afuturekit/TT.htm
 http://www.builtrightflyright.com

and also

Tom Niebuhr's Profile Roadrunner kit, it's a little more advanced like are others listed in previous replies but like the trophy trainer it is usable in three events..  Classic, modern and Profile. 
http://www.blueskymodels.net/pgs/laser_cut_kits.htm

http://www.blueskymodels.net

Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 05:54:24 AM »
I'f fly the flight streak thru the beginner pattern then go to a Brodak Pathfinder with a Brodak .40 arf to learn the pattern and begin competing in intermediate stunt. I'd stay with the arf til you learn the pattern and are no longer killing planes. Learning the pattern will kill airplanes, there is no sence spending alot of time building them and getting the pieced out. The Brodak .40 will work in other stunt planes so you do not have a dead end motor. I'd have another one in reserve so you don't waste time when you do kill one. And get a coach who can fly the pattern to help you learn it. Get him in the circle with you. It will knock off alot of time and save alot of planes.

Once you stop killing planes go right to a Brodak Vector .40 arf and drop the Brodak .40 in it. You will have a straight airplane that will not hold you back but help you progress quickly. After you have flown it a month or so and gotten it trimmed out, and learned what you would like to do differently if you built the plane, then build a Vector 40 kit or ARC and employ the changes you want to make. At that point you may want to go to a different engine (I'm thinking an Aerotiger .36) or stay with the Brodak .40.

My reasoning for this sequence is your desire to fly competition. If you want to progress quickly, this sequence will let you do it.

bob branch

Offline jeffindayton

• AMA 166779
  • Ensign
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 10:30:28 PM »
Thanks for all the input. #^
Dayton, OHIO USA
Smooth Flying...not yet
Jeff Huntsman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here