News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:10:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plane different speed next day  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Steve Bakac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Plane different speed next day
« on: May 18, 2022, 01:04:46 AM »
G/Day
      I’m trying to work out what made my plane level lap speeds different over two days
  I’m running a badass 3515  Igor system and his 12/5 3 blade prop 6s 2700 .Now here’s thing  , it flew fantastic  all day Saturday without  touching any settings, but come Sunday morning the plane went quicker in level flight and harder to keep up, with out touching anything from Saturday  .the only thing that changed was that sunday was over cast with a little drizzle of rain here and there through out the day. Compared to sunny Saturday.  Could the thicker air be the coarse?
Cheers steve
   ( downunder)

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Plane different speed next day
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 01:15:33 AM »
Go back to the 25VF on pipe Steve. Haha.

Craig
BrisVegas
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Steve Bakac

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 01:49:32 AM »
I still have them in the draw Craig lol was a great setup

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 04:02:05 AM »
With denser, cooler & wetter air, physics says drag would increase therefore circulation speed should be slower - opposite to what you report, so back to the theories  HB~>

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 06:03:53 AM »
With denser, cooler & wetter air, physics says drag would increase therefore circulation speed should be slower - opposite to what you report, so back to the theories  HB~>
Ah, but the prop would have more bite therefore circulation speed should be faster.  Another of life's mysteries.  Maybe your watch was running slow...?  Speed guys deal with this all of the time, maybe one of them knows.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 10:28:31 AM »
  Having lap times would be a great help. As stated, cooler temps would mean more dense air and more bit from the prop, and then faster lap times. It just may have seemed a lot faster to you if you have never seen this change before. I suggest that you not change anything until another sunny day comes along, and see if the resulting flight is like "normal". If it's significantly warmer, be ready for the lap times to be slower. If it's cooler again and the lap times are still quicker, try a slightly smaller prop or one with slightly less pitch and see how it performs.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 12:11:24 PM »
I use almost exactly that system. Only difference is battery, and likely some of the settings.

I find that the system is very stable on lap times. Last year I flew my Nats plane 3 times (yes, 3 flights) prior to driving across our country to fly in our Nationals. I was forced to use it, and it flew only 0.01 sec/lap different than home.  It also handled the various weather conditions with only microscopic differences.

Saying that, I find the biggest difference to be on the fist flight of the day. It tends to fly a little faster on the first flight, then settles back to its normal speed.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 04:15:59 PM »
I cannot speak for Igor's timer, but I can duplicate what you are experiencing by messing with the accelerometer on a Fiorotti. It would have had nothing to do with the weather but moving it between the sessions could.  Sensitivity could affect upwind boost if the wind was different.

I checked with our local Igor users and they say the same thing that Paul said.  At best  maybe .2 difference.

Ken 
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Bakac

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 08:02:51 PM »
Thank you all for the responses , I’ll try it again soon to see what happens
   Cheers

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 04:39:40 PM »
I am curious to see the resolution of the problem.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 12:36:14 PM by Doug Moisuk »
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 08:22:52 PM »
Internal combustion engines are very much affected by atmospheric conditions. Typically, the smaller the displacement the more noticeable are the effects of changes in power output. I completely dropped a cylinder on a 454 V8 towing a 19' travel trailer. The only thing noticeable was the dead miss at idle, even through the Rockies.
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 11:48:37 PM »
Saturday without  touching any settings, but come Sunday morning the plane went quicker in level flight and harder to keep up, with out touching anything from Saturday

It is normal. It is quicker in cold air and slower in hot. It is good to keep track of conditions and optimal setting for certain prop and model. I have Android application for Target throttle setting. It is described here:

https://www.facebook.com/363984487112995/photos/a.364101993767911/650808675097240/

Other applications for C/L are here:

http://maxbee.net/download/Altimeter.apk
http://maxbee.net/download/AirDensity.apk
http://maxbee.net/download/Timer.apk

Descriptions:

http://maxbee.net/download/Altimeter.pdf
http://maxbee.net/download/AirDensity.pdf
http://maxbee.net/download/Timer.pdf

However problem is solvable by simple table on paper  S?P

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 12:05:55 AM »

Yes, it changes density (but be carefull, humid air has lower density than dry) and plus altitude. Theoretically, dense air will make higher drag, but dense air will make lift of prop airfoil higher by the same magnitude, so it should compesate each other. But it does not, dense air will also make more lift on wing, therefore it will fly at lower AoA and there are several such changes, including change of Re number. Result is that "it depends". Simply it is necessary to measure influence of conditions and keep track for specific model and prop.

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 02:06:52 PM »
Steve
From one ANZAC to another....maybe look at the fuel used and consumption rate overnight! Yours  LL~ Only saying.....

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2022, 06:23:29 PM »
Steve,
this all tells me you need to pull those pipes out of the drawer. LOL.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here