News:

• May 13, 2024, 08:21:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sad Day For Wisconsin/USA  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Harleyman

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Circle Masters
Sad Day For Wisconsin/USA
« on: October 16, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »

http://www.buell.com/en_us/

:'(
Chris Sterner
AMA 1825
EAA 1429853
https://circlemasters.com

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Sad Day For Wisconsin/USA
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »
Bummer  :(

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:14:21 PM »
I don't know.......it's sort of like building an ARF based on a Fox 35.....

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »
While I'm no fan of Obama-yo-Mama, he didn't create the problem. You can tack that on a lot of greedy bankers (among others). I don't think that Obama is doing much to help, but he didn't create the problem.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Russ Danneman

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 07:25:24 PM »
wow, hate to hear it.
FLY LOW FLY FAST  RISKY BUSINESS

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »
You don't think it was because it wasn't the product that people had hoped for?

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 05:52:53 PM »
As a Harley Davidson owner/rider for many years, I think this is very sad news indeed.  The reason most likely are tied to the bad state of the US economy.  Harley's are high end bikes and many consider a luxury.  The Buell is/was a fine bike but if HD had to pull in it's belt and save money the Buell became expendable.  Erik Buell did prove that the US could build an excellent example of a sports bike it's a shame that American bikers never really gave it the respect it deserved especially the latest models.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 06:06:38 PM »
Have you ever riden a Buell? I'm suprised they lasted this long. A riding buddy had one ,it was the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden and I've always ridden sport bikes. It makes the Ducati 900 feel like a Caddy.
AMA 874027

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 06:19:10 PM »
As a Harley Davidson owner/rider for many years, I think this is very sad news indeed.  The reason most likely are tied to the bad state of the US economy.  Harley's are high end bikes and many consider a luxury.  The Buell is/was a fine bike but if HD had to pull in it's belt and save money the Buell became expendable.  Erik Buell did prove that the US could build an excellent example of a sports bike it's a shame that American bikers never really gave it the respect it deserved especially the latest models.
Andy

As a Harley mechanic I can say this without a doubt. Buells are not competive in the sport bike world. I dont know who they thought they were kidding. V-Rod will also die! Its no match for todays super bikes. I know some will say they are winning pro-stock. True. But to do it they need a 60 CI handycap. Not what I consider fair at all in a run what you brung event.

Have you ever riden a Buell? I'm suprised they lasted this long. A riding buddy had one ,it was the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden and I've always ridden sport bikes. It makes the Ducati 900 feel like a Caddy.

I could not agree more!
AMA 12366

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 06:36:48 PM »
I have a friend who has a Buell, and he loves it. He even tours on it. Also rides in the desert where he lives. I, on the other hand, love my EVO powered 99 Softail Custom. DS for DF. My idea of a sport bike is a Sportster with everything that is not necessary removed, and a set of knobby dirt tires.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 07:56:42 PM »
It's a shame to see any motorcycle brand disapear... But, if one had to go, the Buell is probably the most likely candidate.

I rented one - a brand new Lightning with 300 miles on the odometer - in Tucson a few year ago. Without doubt it was the most ill-handling and uncomfotable ride I've ever been on, and I've been riding on and off since 1968. I'm a professional rider and feel that I can evaluate a bike at least as well as the next guy. My hands were numb from vibration in about ten minutes and I couldn't wait to drop that bike off at the dealer where I rented it. I did take it on about a 100 mile ride. I went up Kitt Peak outside of Tucson. The bike was very difficult to countersteer into a corner and when it did start to lean, it wanted to keep on going! Very bad manners indeed. It was darn near dangerous and certainly not a ride for a novice.

At that time my daily ride was a Suzuki Hayabusa and it was just marvelous. The Buell cost almost as much as the "Busa" but it was a far cry from the quality, performance and handling of the rice rocket. The Japanese just have this part of the sport covered. Want an almost perfect motorcycle? Buy any Japanese sport bike and be amazed.

Bob Hunt

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 08:21:37 PM »
Can't say I'm surprised about Buell. Eric Buell is a very intelligent person but I believe his motorcycles are largely an answer to a question no one asked. He hung his hat on some very specific design principals that were not quite mainstream. At best Buell was a boutique or niche market brand. It just couldn't generate the numbers The Motor Company needed.

As for the MV acquisition, that never made sense. Although, if I wanted a real sportbike, it would have to be an MV F4.

H-D is on one hand hobbled by its own success. The market expects its products to fit a very traditional mold. Their history is punctuated by a number of decent alternatives that just were not "Harley" enough.

And, for what it's worth, the Company is still paying dividends to shareholders.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 12:13:22 PM »
It always seemed to me like tooling up to design the latest-greatest Corvette, and having Briggs and Stratton supply the power! %^@ Nostalgia is great and all, but performance is performance!  S?P

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here