News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:27:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Piston rings  (Read 1331 times)

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Piston rings
« on: November 18, 2021, 01:01:38 PM »
I remember that some years ago there was a chap who made piston rings and fitted them to engines.  I had a couple made for my ST51 and they were fine.  I have had an email from a chap needing  rings for a Bunch Tiger but I cant remember the details of the chap I used but he was on this forum or possibly Stuks Stunt (of blessed memory)
Mike
Regards
Mike Nelson

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Piston rings
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 01:44:02 PM »
I believe Frank Bowman was who you might be thinking of.  I think he retired and sold his business off to a youngster he trained.  Don’t know if he is still in business...It might be cheaper and easier to pick up a Bunch Tiger on EBay.  I have a couple I doubt I paid more than $50-60 bucks for and are in great shape.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 02:29:10 PM »
Thanks Dave
Yes it was Frank Bowman.  Ive reached that time in my life when the majority of my contacts have retired or died.
Regards
Mike
Regards
Mike Nelson

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 03:14:09 PM »
 Gaviscool rings?
ama 72090

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 04:15:17 PM »
Hi Mike,
There is a chap in UK making rings, and so far I’ve only heard good about his work. But his name has slipped from my mind, I’m sure you’ll find him if you do some digging at Barton forum.
But if you still got your machines, it’s really not that difficult to make by yourself either, at least for steel cylinder engines. L

There is a thread in the engine section by a gentleman looking for rings for ST.60s. It was suggested he contact the eBay seller shtterman who most of us are familiar with and he provided this link:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUPER-TIGRE-V-60-BB-LIGHT-CASE-STD-TYPE-PISTON-RING-NIP-/293794110908?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Notice the packaging and the header card stating that they are British made. Is this the guy that you are referring to? I don't think I have ever seen these before, and nice to know there are other sources.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 11:05:14 PM »
   There is a thread in the engine section by a gentleman looking for rings for ST.60s. It was suggested he contact the eBay seller shtterman who most of us are familiar with and he provided this link:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUPER-TIGRE-V-60-BB-LIGHT-CASE-STD-TYPE-PISTON-RING-NIP-/293794110908?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Notice the packaging and the header card stating that they are British made. Is this the guy that you are referring to? I don't think I have ever seen these before, and nice to know there are other sources.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Dan, as of the last few weeks. Shtterman will not post outside of USA.   He had an Enya 45X piston/liner I wanted but he wouldn't bend due to being dudded with claims the customer didn't get the item even though tracking showed it was delivered so ebay/PayPal refunded the money from his account.

DH

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 07:08:48 AM »
Dan, as of the last few weeks. Shtterman will not post outside of USA.   He had an Enya 45X piston/liner I wanted but he wouldn't bend due to being dudded with claims the customer didn't get the item even though tracking showed it was delivered so ebay/PayPal refunded the money from his account.

DH

Yeah, our USPS sucks!! I have had way too many issues with them in the last year. I sent a Cox model and some stuff to Australia this past summer and it took almost two months to get there! I can order P&L sets from Brian Gardner and they are sometimes here within a week! That tells me where the problem is! The same guy wanted a few more odds and ends from me, but by that time, our USPS quit sending any first class mail down under and it would have to go Priority Mail. So a few dollars worth of plastic parts would cost almost $60 US to ship! Try contacting shtterman and see if he will tell you his source in Europe. He seems like a reasonable man and will understand the situation. Sad situation indeed!
   Good luck to you,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 08:14:43 AM »
Have someone here buy the stuff and then that person could send it.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 08:42:13 AM »
Steve,
there is no USPS shipping to Australia at this current time. Well, no priority mail. If you want to pay the extra, as Dan explained, you can pay for express, but, it is a ridiculous price.

Shttermans issue is not isolated. New Zealand Post tells me a package has been delivered. The recipient tells me he hasn't got it, I believe him.

I paid for extra insurance. But, that will cover the purchaser for their loss but I'm still out an engine!

There are just too many packages going missing.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 08:46:48 PM »
Steve,
there is no USPS shipping to Australia at this current time. Well, no priority mail. If you want to pay the extra, as Dan explained, you can pay for express, but, it is a ridiculous price.

Shttermans issue is not isolated. New Zealand Post tells me a package has been delivered. The recipient tells me he hasn't got it, I believe him.

I paid for extra insurance. But, that will cover the purchaser for their loss but I'm still out an engine!

There are just too many packages going missing.

Craig

Craig, down here south of your border the postie is just dropping at the door even though the seller has asked for signing.  Rarely do they take it to post office for collection.  Luckily I haven't had anything go missing yet as most times I'm home.

D H
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 09:17:29 PM by Dallas Hanna »

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 08:53:44 PM »
   Yeah, our USPS sucks!! I have had way too many issues with them in the last year. I sent a Cox model and some stuff to Australia this past summer and it took almost two months to get there! I can order P&L sets from Brian Gardner and they are sometimes here within a week! That tells me where the problem is! The same guy wanted a few more odds and ends from me, but by that time, our USPS quit sending any first class mail down under and it would have to go Priority Mail. So a few dollars worth of plastic parts would cost almost $60 US to ship! Try contacting shtterman and see if he will tell you his source in Europe. He seems like a reasonable man and will understand the situation. Sad situation indeed!
   Good luck to you,
    Dan McEntee

Dan, the p/l is nos in his hands, not from a supplier in Europe.  Luckily I have a supply of good high silicon alloy from Rob Metkimeyer which allowed me to make a new tighter fit piston.  Maybe when airlines get going again a friend who is a Qantas pilot will bring it back for me if it is still available.

DH

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 09:00:02 PM »
Mike,

Frank Bowman retired from making rings some years ago.  He sold the business to RMJ Machine Worx and trained the owner to make the rings.  I have  business card that lists the phone # as (505)716-7287.  Bjorn & Emily   rmjmachineworx@gmail.com   I see you are in England so that complicates things.  I haven't done business with him but I am told he makes good rings.  I assume he is still in business.

Jim Rhoades

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 07:49:59 PM »
From the ST 60 post .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/gcpistonrings?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Lkely the same ones ?

My recent Bowman ones all came at 6 or so thou. so if you wan em tight , from there , gettem ungapped .

My thinking is the two S T part umbers may be for the chromed bore 7 the unchromed bore varieties .
Youd assume a soft ring for the chrome bore 7 a hard or cromed ring for the unchromed bore .

Later Norton ( Commando ) top rings were chromed , theyed let oil by for about 2.000 miles ,then they were seated and lasted twice as long .

Stories of Eraly S Tigres being ' to toughened ' meaning they took a bit of care to loosen off . Wereas a lotta stuff was set up looser . and softer .

The Ball / Bownn HP 40 ring was a V at the end notta half witdth effort , and snapped as easy as any soft one that snaps. >:(

https://rmjmachineworx.com/ is the BOWMAN rehash .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 07:54:20 PM »
But I'm very thankful to Bowman for all the help I got from him when I started to make my own stuff, he showed the right direction. Now the best rings I've seen are my own ones. L

I'll take a dozen .   :D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here