News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pigs in space...  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Pigs in space...
« on: November 15, 2020, 06:43:50 AM »
When I opened Stunt Hanger this morning, this was the ad at the top of the page.

So, Brett: is this the new project you are working on?  We are sending multiple numbers of pigs into space?  Is this some kind of ISS food replenishment project?

I know that pigs are claimed to be smarter than dogs, but still I don't think they would do a very good job of operating the equipment.  So, other than for food, why would you be sending pigs into space?  Enquiring minds want to know.....

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
Re: Pigs in space...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 03:41:19 PM »
Loved this segment on the Muppet Show!  Pigggs Innn Spaaaace!!!!!
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 06:52:44 PM »
When I opened Stunt Hanger this morning, this was the ad at the top of the page.

So, Brett: is this the new project you are working on?  We are sending multiple numbers of pigs into space?  Is this some kind of ISS food replenishment project?

I know that pigs are claimed to be smarter than dogs, but still I don't think they would do a very good job of operating the equipment.  So, other than for food, why would you be sending pigs into space?  Enquiring minds want to know.....

As the Deputy Commissioner of the Hurl (self-appointed), I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of Hurl Commisson's experiments in telekenesis, ovine space travel, or the ape-human hybrid gene-splicing.

Brett

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 08:56:18 PM »
Well, as much as the thought of hurling a perfectly good engine makes me want to hurl, were I to acquire an appropriate engine for hurling, how does one properly arrange the officiating of the event?
Are there rules governing the type of field? Is single hand or two handed hurling allowed? Is there any geographic specific rules for hurling in Northern states vs Southern states? Different rules for conservative hurlers vs liberal hurlers? Is there an advantage to hurling at night under a full moon to take maximum advantage of lunar gravitational attraction?

Inquiring minds want to hurl, I mean, know.....

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 09:29:53 PM »
Do a search and be prepared to read. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 09:32:54 PM »
Well, as much as the thought of hurling a perfectly good engine makes me want to hurl, were I to acquire an appropriate engine for hurling, how does one properly arrange the officiating of the event?
Are there rules governing the type of field? Is single hand or two handed hurling allowed? Is there any geographic specific rules for hurling in Northern states vs Southern states? Different rules for conservative hurlers vs liberal hurlers? Is there an advantage to hurling at night under a full moon to take maximum advantage of lunar gravitational attraction? \

At this time, there is only one official Hurl site, the Woodland-Davis Aeromodelers site just outside Davis, CA. This is less than 15 miles from the canonical Hurl site, that is, the spot whereon it was invented, the Nut Tree Airport in Vacaville, therefore, the necessary parameters (allowable launch azimuth, latitude (for coriolis compensation), and local gravity anomalies, just the usual stuff) are essentially the same.

The Rules of the Hurl are available at the Hurl Commission Headquarters, beneath the brick and steel of a nondescript building in San Jose, CA. Please search for "Hurl" or "Rat Patrol" in the archives for extensive previously-provided information. The rules are straightforward and quite simple 11 volumes, nothing unusual for something with such a universal following.

Thanks for your interest in the international celebration of joy and sportsmanship, and I will just say it - the MAJESTY - of the Fox 15 Hurl!

Brett

p.s. Of course, as the Hurl veterans will tell you, engines to be Hurled in official competition or Record Trials are supplied by Hurl Technical Services, and carefully selected for the proper weight, ballistic coefficient, and pedigree. *Any* alteration of the engine to improve the ballistic coefficient (adding weight (lead, gold, depleted uranium, etc), streamlining (removing or "accidentally" breaking off any appendages, or attaching to a Sterling Mambo)) in official competition is strictly prohibited, per Rules 3 and 69 paragraphs C, D, and RA and is ground for sanction, at least disqualification up to an including a lifetime ban. Of course, for unofficial events and practice, you can use whatever you want. But I will caution that *attempting to use the engine to power a model airplane* is strictly prohibited in any circumstance, and, in many areas, a misdemeanor.

I would also note that "proxy Hurls", as first suggested by a competitor at the 4th Annual Hurl (whose name will be obscured for his own protection), is *strictly forbidden*. The perpetrator in this case subsequently proved to be a repeat offender, and may or may not have been implicated in the mysterious "car trouble" experienced by The Commissioner in 2019, resulting in activation of the Hurl Commision Disaster Protocols until his whereabouts were determined.  Please reference Rule 71 AKA "The David Fitzgerald Rule".

The wise budding Hurler checks the rules *first* and Hurls later. It certainly would be unfortunate if one started one's hurl career with an infraction.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 06:04:31 PM »
Is a throwing stick allowed? Sort of like Jai Alai or some aboriginal tribes use to throw spears extra hard?   ???  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 06:10:47 PM »
Well, as much as the thought of hurling a perfectly good engine makes me want to hurl,...

They hurl Fox .15s.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 06:14:58 PM »
Is a throwing stick allowed? Sort of like Jai Alai or some aboriginal tribes use to throw spears extra hard?   ???  Steve

Of course not, Rule 6, plain as day - no cestas, no atlatls, woomeras, etc permitted.  Only good old American meat and bone!  It is permissible to wear a baseball glove on the non-throwing hand, of course.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 06:29:06 PM »
Where are these rules? Rumor (locally) is that they're stored inside a safe, inside a vault, inside a volcano. Could it be they're in Mt. Rainier?

Howard indicates in his post above that the correct hurling item is a Fox .15S (Stunt?), which is confusing. I thought it was the .15X. Can I use my Fox .15XX or .15XXX? The rules seem to be "adjustable", for some reason or other.  :!  Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 06:34:57 PM »
Where are these rules? Rumor (locally) is that they're stored inside a safe, inside a vault, inside a volcano. Could it be they're in Mt. Rainier?

The rules seem to be "adjustable", for some reason or other.  :!  Steve

The rules may be viewed at the Hurl International HQ in San Jose, CA, and they are recited on the Hurl Information network every single night:

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/meet-n'meathurl-this-weekend-attendance-mandatory!/msg276834/#msg276834

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 06:39:55 PM »
Vert der ferk? I'ma gonna sue El Presidente de la Hurl.   VD~  Steve

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 09:55:37 PM »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Steve Berry

• 24 supporter