News:

• May 17, 2024, 03:32:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable Leadout Guide-Aldrich Nobler  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Garf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
Adjustable Leadout Guide-Aldrich Nobler
« on: June 09, 2011, 06:12:01 PM »
I want to add an adjustable leadout guide to my next Aldrich Nobler or maybe a NoblARF. Would I lose a significant amount of area by going to a plate or block tip? I suppose it would be possible to extend the wing by a bay on both sides to compensate.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Adjustable Leadout Guide-Aldrich Nobler
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 06:23:50 PM »
See Bob Hunt's photo-equipped article on "Slot and Adjustable Leadout Guide", May-June issue of Stunt News, pp. 54-58.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 06:46:30 PM »
Ive built and flown countless Noblers - there is no need to alter the plan of the tip template to accommodate a slot brodak style adjustable leadout guide. It needs to be run further inside the wing, before the outter tip itself rougly 1 1/2 inches inside the wing - adjustable with a 2/56 nut and socket .
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:57:12 PM »
You want the leadout guide as near the tip as practical.  I think I could figure out how to get one right out on the tip.  I've seen photos somewhere of one incorporated into a tip similar to the Nobler's.   I have put them in a tip rib and build a rectangular channel out in the tip for tips similar to the Nobler's.  It looked pretty good and did not need much figuring out. 

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
You want the leadout guide as near the tip as practical.

The difference between on the tip itself - and on the outter most tip rib bay would be negligable. Esp in a Nobler.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
Ive built and flown countless Noblers - there is no need to alter the plan of the tip template to accommodate a slot brodak style adjustable leadout guide. It needs to be run further inside the wing, before the outter tip itself rougly 1 1/2 inches inside the wing - adjustable with a 2/56 nut and socket .

This is precisely what I am trying to avoid. I have 2 planes that have adjustable guides mounted on the tip rib and deep slots to the end of the tip. I hate them both. I store my planes by hanging from the leadouts, and it is difficult to impossible to hook the leadouts over the hanging post with the guide so far from the exit at the tip. I want to go to plate or block type tips. As a bonus, they are easier to cover.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 08:19:12 AM »
If you want the adkjustable guide close to the tip, how about right at the tip.   A peice of hardwood cut to the shape of the tip.  A series of holes drilled to a press fit of Tom Morries 1/8 eyelets.  Then a slot is cut between the holes for the leadouts to move thru.  Once the final/optimal adjustment is made, a dab of glue will hold them in place permanenly.   I would do a search for you on lead out guides, but I am being extremely lazy this AM.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here