News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:31:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ship Curves  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ship Curves
« on: December 17, 2016, 06:06:07 AM »
If you like to design models and do not own these drafting tools, you might want to buy a set.  I bought mine from Amazon.

Mike

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
Re: Ship Curves
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 06:19:22 AM »
Hi, Was this a set ? Thanks
AMA 59633

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 07:12:57 AM »
Yes you can buy the set from Amazon.  Or other places if you wish

Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 07:50:34 AM »
If you like to design models and do not own these drafting tools, you might want to buy a set.  I bought mine from Amazon.

Mike

Mike,

Called "French curves" also. There's one that is bendable and holds the shape you put it in. I have that gadget someplace, see if I can find it, I have a bunch of French curves also but haven't used them in decades.

The only French curve I remember clearly was this beautiful lass, Juliette, who... well never mind. n1

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
Mike,

Called "French curves" also. There's one that is bendable and holds the shape you put it in. I have that gadget someplace, see if I can find it, I have a bunch of French curves also but haven't used them in decades.

The only French curve I remember clearly was this beautiful lass, Juliette, who... well never mind. n1

Charles

NO Chuck, there is a difference between French curve and ships curve. That's why they look vastly different and are available in different sets, even though they essentially do the same job. If you go into an art store and ask for french curves, they'll give you the smaller, more coarse curve set, like you typically might see on a drafting table. And a typical art supply store might not stock ships curves. Ship curves are much longer and gradual and used for laying out the shape of a boat hull, hence the name. You can't really substitute the use of one for the other. I remember this from high school drafting class, which I'm sure isn't taught any more.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Dincau

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »
The bendable one is called a spline. Google "shipbuilding spline ducks" and look at the images that come up.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:53:58 PM »
This typical illustration of the 56 curve set is taken from Chapelle's "Yacht Designing & Planning" which we highly recommend. The set that we sell is almost identical except the ends of some curves do not have the little fancy ogees and multiple corners. The set we sell is in clear acrylic and comes in a naturally finished wood box with brass fittings. The box appears to be made of Philippine mahogany. A set of these curves will last you your whole life and are a wonderful investment.

Copenhagen Ships Curves .

These are similar to the Paters . Think ' the LeKecture ' was " A Months Wages " for a architect apprentice in 1950 odd  ,for the imported set & Case .
Were numbered to I think 80 .Ended up a Marin e Architect .

Hard Plastic so breakable if say hard boots stood on one on a carpet or similar .

The LONG ones would be 20 inchh . When mine ' dematerialsed with the rissole freighters , along with a dozen irraplaceable scale rules , and navigators rule etc ,
finally I used Lexan or similar clear 60 thou ( 1 1/2 mm ) clear sheet from the building supplies to remanufacture some . Fortuitously Id Traced four more important ones onto a plan Id sent someone
so was able to reobtain the true outline .

Thus , if you blow these up to 20 odd O. A . , one of the laser cutters could do wonders at recreating them . I used a stanly knife and filed the edges curves consistant .
Freehand drew some of the more remembered usefull ones .
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:56:27 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 01:17:27 PM »
Navigators parrallel rule .

These Things are rather usefull . Particullarly in clear perspex at about 18 in long , In Conjunction with a decent pair of squares .

about 15 / 18 in long .

Ditto one of these ;

If it rolls of the edge of the table , you have to catch it with your bare foot , before it hits the concrette .
The Corner of the end wont put to big a hole it .

more likely to find in a antique shop nowadays , and dont get cheaper . Good on a flat table . A Navigators was edged. Not so good on a slopeing board .
Real Draftsmans Boards , being obsoltte and bulky , compl;ete with the drafting machine , are often givaways , while they last . As Storage Awkward .

The Antique tripe illustratededs more usefull for model Aircraft usually .

adjustable set square.

Somewhat usefull with a T Square , for parrallel angled lines . And Sometimes with a set square set on the angled leg for tangents to that .

Aincent large ( 12 in ) thick bevelled edge set squares are usefull obviously . And Compass sets . Real Ones

Wouldnt Baulk at forking out a few shekels , if you find unchildrenised ones at garage sales or school fetes .

And the ubiquitous Steel Rules . Best with matched dimns ( Imp & Metric ) either side , so the dimension goes right across . Flip Over for cheap metric alternative . VD~

Grabed a one metre one as thought the shelf said $ 22 at the builders supplies . Next time it said $ 47 I think . Must Check the bank statement ! no loss either way .
Bludgeing aluminum angle from a window manufacturer might be free , and two metre ones could be usefull ??

Course the freight agent who ' lost ' all the stuff is a right pillock . May their cofee imbibe in their computer circuits perenially & they run out of asprin @ 2 am eternally . n1
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 03:37:13 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 01:47:50 PM »

http://www.usedvictoria.com/ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2?used_ad_id=25148847&position=1&hb=8 if you wanna tryn copy em , only twenty bucks ANYWAY . If  not ancient history. And Look Unused .

Wouldbe a good set for a Kit Manufacturer to Copy onto lexan shhet .
You can actually use them for cutting templates , if you avoid digging the knife edge in  Gets the rib sets evenly matched & true ,

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
Another set of curves is Railroad Curves. They are used in layout of railroads and highways. Their curves are constant and long radius'; therefore flatter curves. I can't photo mine since the mahogany box is in storage.
Guy Blankinship

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here