News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:52:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phil Granderson  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Tim Just

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Phil Granderson
« on: January 03, 2022, 10:42:56 AM »
I received a call this morning from Kathleen Granderson that her husband Phil Granderson had passed away peacefully in his sleep from heart failure. 

Phil was a new friend to me as I had only known him for a few short years.  During that time he was a wonderful inspiration to my model building and flying endeavors.   

Over the thanksgiving holiday I was in the Bay Area and was able to visit.  We spent a couple of hours sitting in his model shop.  Listening to Phil tell stories while looking at his flying art is a memory I will keep forever. 

Kathleen asked that I post this and forward any subsequent messages to her.

Respectfully
Tim Just

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Phil Granderson
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 11:39:48 AM »
Very sad to hear.  I hadn’t spoken with Phil for a few years but always enjoyed a visit with him at the Nats.  Skilled modeler,  great gentleman.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 12:00:14 PM »
I first met Phil at a NATs long ago, not even sure which one.  More recently we chatted about electric stunters, chatted again last summer.  Always enjoyed his gentle good humor and enthusiasm.  I will miss him dearly.  God Bless & God Speed.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 12:20:53 PM »
OMG  My condolences to his wife and family.

I enjoyed seeing his "BEAUTIFUL" planes and told him in jest at one contest to not set his plane next to mine because some of the ugly on my plane might rub off on his beautiful museum quality art work.

Jerry

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 12:39:48 PM »
This is devastating news. Phil was an utterly unique individual, incredibly creative and talented, and one of my favorite people in the world. I don't have any more words.

Brett

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 12:51:11 PM »
This is SO sad... :'(

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 01:16:02 PM »
Sorry to hear He will be sadly miss as we been friends for a long time.  Hope and comfort to his family . with all of Gods blessings <><
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 01:34:18 PM »
   If you have been a reader of the model magazines to any extent, you know his name. If he is not in any of the Halls of Fame, he should be, because to me he fits the criteria. He was well known, or "Famous" because of his skills, knowledge, commitment and contributions to the hobby. I think Chris McMillin introduced me to Phil at an early VSC and I may have only met him in person once or twice. But I love reading his articles, even though I was never a combat pilot like he was early on, and his finishing articles and such are a must read. This will hit the modeling community pretty hard, and a wide portion of the stunt community in particular I think. I hope his family can take some comfort in the knowledge that he was widely admired and respected.
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Derek Moran

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 01:36:50 PM »
I was privileged to know Phil and be able to play model airplanes with him.
My sympathies to Kathleen and all who knew him.
Derek
AMA 82617

Offline Fred Constantine

• Ensign
  • C/L Retread
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 01:55:10 PM »
Phil helped me a lot when I was returning to stunt about ten years ago.  Along with some good advice, he gave me an ARF Oriental so that I could move up from my Flite-Streak. I still have the Oriental. It needs to be rebuilt again!  You might see Phil's hand me down flown in Classic here in Northern California.  It can't be said to many times. Thanks Phil.

Fred
Fred Constantine
Calistoga, CA   AMA 6798

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 02:37:40 PM »
Among other things, Phil was on the USA 1980 FAI Team.
He came in 3rd place, winning the bronze medal and was the USA's first successful combat flyer in FAI competition.
Paul Smith

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 05:10:29 PM »
Such sad and horrible news.  I only learned a few days ago that Phil was not well.  Phil was such a unique and wonderful guy.  Stayed with Phil and Kathleen several times many years ago.  Always many laughs and always something to learn.   My very first electric flight was on Phil’s Diva(?).  One flight was enough to know that the game had changed.  Also remember flying one of Phil’s IC Diva’s at Clovis one year.   It was awesome!

God bless you Phil.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 05:53:14 PM »
I had met Phil when I lived in California in the late 60's.  Knew him then as a competitive combat flyer.  Then, at the first PAMPA Nats, as the ED, I was doing the appearance judging.  He had entered a combat ship with some wheels somehow attached.  We made him put his AMA number on so he used a magic marker and had to rework it to make the 1" dimension.  We joked about that over the ensuing years.  He did not hesitate to make his opinions known and he was not wrong.  We all recognized his building, finishing and flying skills as some of the best we have been privileged to see.  The relationship between Phil and Kathleen was positive and totally a pleasure to observe. I am deeply sorry for his passing.  He will be missed.

Keith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 06:04:45 PM »
Brett expresses my feelings better than I could.  I'll post some pictures and stories later.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 06:32:55 PM »
 I never met Phil but figured out a long time ago that wherever his name popped up it would be worth taking note. Another seemingly obvious thing was how respected and admired he and his contributions were in our hobby, and justified. I'm really only familiar with his involvement in Stunt, where his building and design skills were incredible and also widely admired. Always original, tasteful, and beautifully done. Definitely a big loss to our community, my sincere condolences to all friends and family.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:19:57 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 07:43:13 PM »
I met him at one of the nats when I was still flying intermediate, got to actually spend some time and he treated me as though he expected me to be in top twenty day.  He was such a kind gentleman that I have never forgotten him and have thought of him often down through the years.  Got to visit a bit at a later nats and he remembered me!  Truly an outstanding gentleman, I am saddened by this news as the world needs more Phil's than ever.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 10:20:39 PM »
Enjoyed meeting Phil flying combat at the Nats Howard took me to as a teen (Lake Charles about 1974.) He was the type of competitor that had the skills, drive and creativity to represent as a world class champion.  In addition, it was great to see the diversity Phil brought as an African American.

Peter 

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2022, 04:25:40 AM »
When Phil got out of combat, he offered all his stuff as a lot. I bought it.
There came a GIANT box of stuff....
And for a few months after, another box "of stuff he wasn't going to use" would arrive.
I spoke with him several times with questions. He was always very helpful and patient.

Nice guy....

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2022, 06:36:16 AM »
I have had to take a day since hearing of Phil's passing to get my thoughts together before posting here.

The above comments and remembrances of Phil only serve to display this great man's affect on people. It is clear that we are all experiencing a great deal of pain over this loss to our community.

Many of you may or may not know that Phil was battling a number of health issues for the past few years. I won't go into detail here in regards to specifics. Let me just say that he dealt with the knowledge of his decline with such amazing grace and courage; and with his typical humor...

I've known Phil since around 1973, and my life has been much richer for having him as a close friend. I spent some time with Phil and his wife, Kathleen at their very unique and beautiful home in the Oakland Hills, and in the evenings there we had some wide ranging discussions about the hobby and about life in general. I came to know a much deeper Phil Granderson during that visit. Phil was a unique, intelligent, insightful, patient, and caring individual. And, he was perhaps the funniest person I have ever known. And, there are several very funny people in our hobby/sport. If you ever had the chance to see Phil and Billy Werwage together at a contest, then you know all about funny; and you probably remember how much your sides hurt from laughing.

During that visit Phil and I traveled to the Golden State Stunt Championships that were held at that time in Clovis, California. Phil lent me his first Diva stunt model to fly at that event (sans appearance points of course...). Flying that model gave me a whole new respect for Phil's designing, building and finishing skills, which were all at the very top level. His choice of a piped Magnum 36 engine was a combination that was unheard of at that time, and he had it performing beautifully. That model flew magnificently, and it was one of the highlights of my career in stunt. And, again, my sides hurt for several days after I returned home from laughing so much.

I'll finish this tribute to my old pal Phil with a story that happened at the 1974 Nats in Lake Charles, Louisiana. It pretty much sums up the outstanding wit of the man.

Lake Charles in July is a pretty hot and humid place. Not a problem for those of us who compete, but a real problem for our spouses or girlfriends. I married my wife of almost 49 years now, Marianne, that past December, and reasoned that a trip to the Nats would be a great honeymoon trip (yeah, I'm amazed too that she is still my wife...). We traveled caravan style to Louisiana with Bob Wiegand and his girlfriend CK (never did know what "CK" stood for), and with Mark Sullivan - who had just received his driver's license. Somehow we convinced Mark to convinced his father that we needed his large station wagon in which to transport all our planes. Marianne and I drove down in her aging, and quite ugly (she said she bought it because she felt sorry for it...) iridescent green Mercury Comet with a hounds tooth vinyl top. Being very optimistic about how many practice flights I would get before that contest, i brought along 15 gallons of fuel in a green barrel that was nestled in a custom built (thanks, Dad...) wooden cradle. In what seemed like a reasonable thing to do, I labeled that barrel "White Lightning." Hey what bad thing could possibly happen by driving a very conspicuous car through the deep south in the 1970s with long hair and a big barrel in the trunk?

Well, nothing bad did happen, except that we blew a head gasket. It ran like that all the way to Lake Charles and all the way home! Okay, after only a few hours at the field, CK and Marianne declared that they would prefer to stay in the air conditioned room we all shared (yeah, it was very Bohemian...). In that room was a color TV that had a bad green gun. Every thing - and every one - on that TV was green!

Back at the field I saw Phil Granderson walking towards me with a rather forlorn look on his face. "Bobby, do you have any extra fuel with you; I'm all out." I told him that I did have way more fuel than I needed, but I had left the big green barrel at the motel room. We headed back to the room to fetch Phil some go juice. When we got there I opened the door to find the girls watching the defective TV with all the green people on it. Phil took one look at the TV and said, "Now there's a real minority."  That was Phil in a nutshell.

Godspeed my old and very dear friend; I will miss our long phone conversations, and I will miss you every day of my life.

Peace - Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 07:42:32 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 08:07:35 AM »
I met Phil once. It was at the NATs. He was running to see one of Dan Banjock's jets fly. The Mig. An aluminum scale bird that flamed through the fuselage as well as out the tail. Nearly sundown. Almost night. "Ecstasy, ecstasy," he was yelling. Memorable. Unique.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2022, 08:28:31 AM »
I cant say any more than has already been said about Phil. He was a great guy, an awesome friend,  and will be truly missed. Godspeed Phil.

Derek

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2022, 10:52:46 AM »
I'm shocked and dismayed. Phil was one of those guys that I'd expected to live forever. Legendary & a great guy. My sympathies and condolences to his family and close friends.  :'( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2022, 12:16:10 PM »
Phil was one of my oldest and dearest friends in model aviation.  The very first thing he said to me when we met in 1977 was a joke.  I had complimented him on the pink Ringmaster he was carrying to the racing circle at the Northwest Regionals, and his answer was, "I built it in my sleep."
  At very first AMA Fast Combat contest I ever flew in, in 1978, one of my first matches was against Phil; this would have been approximately my second Fast match ever.  Of course, he scored a kill pretty quickly.  It was the first of many matches we flew against each other, most of which he won.  I also had the honor of pitting for him a few times, and working with him in pit crews for someone else.
  Besides being a great friend, he was one of the two or three most naturally talented CL fliers I have ever seen and one of the best designers and builders of our hobby -- whether Stunt or Combat.
  I have posted a brief obituary on Flying Lines (flyinglines.org) and will add to it if I receive further information.
  --jt
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Offline Dave Shadel

• New Pilot
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2022, 03:59:30 PM »
I can't remember when I met Phil for the first time.  Either late 70's or early 80's and most likely at the Nats.  The pylon racing guys would always end up at the Combat circles or some of them would end up at pylon.  They were pretty similar events when you think about it.  Plenty of carnage and killer competition.  I can remember Phil trading barbs with my late caller Jim Shinohara.  They got on well, and had Phil expressed an interest in flying pylon racers, we would have happily given him whatever he needed to be a competitor.  He had the right attitude to be a racer, and one to be a great combat flier as all here know.  The event wouldn't have mattered, he was good at whatever he undertook.

Other than occasionally seeing him at the Nats or maybe a trade show, I really didn't know him well like most of the rest of you, but he was the type that once you met him, you became instant friends.  When auto paint became a supply issue in California some years ago, he would call me as I could buy all the evil paint he wanted here in Nevada, and I was glad to send it over.  I lost track of Phil for awhile, and then got back in touch with him after searching for some info on this forum when he responded to one of my posts.  It was good to rekindle our friendship once again.  He told me of his illness, and at about the same time I was just finishing cancer treatment myself, so we had some notes to compare.  His ordeal was far tougher than mine, and sadly left him unable to fly as I know he still wanted to. 

When my friend Tim Just became interested in CLPA, I managed to hook him up with Phil who was about the only guy I knew who had the knowledge that Tim needed.  Phil bent over backwards for Tim after he figured out that Tim was willing to put in the work to be a good competitor.  Tim spent a lot of time talking with Phil, and flying, and flying, and flying and hitting the local contests in Socal where he quickly did well.  My last conversation with Phil was right after Tim had come back from a contest and still wound up tight.  I told Phil he had created a monster, and he got a good chuckle out of my comment.  I think it made him feel better at a time when he was pretty down.  I'm grateful that they hit it off so well, much to the benefit of both. 

Phil had a good run, and it ended way too soon.

Adios my friend, until we meet again.

Dave

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2022, 09:36:50 PM »
This a shock as I did not know of Phil's illness.  I first met him at  Lake Charles NATS the day we were all awakened to the Message, " Phil Graanderson your lugauge has arrived".  We were in the dorms my team mate and I.  He was one fine gentleman and we would say hi when ever we met some where.  May he rest in peace. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2022, 08:37:05 AM »
 Remember late into the wee early am chats at the 69 and 72 NATS.
 Phil designed the "Tarantula" combat ship.
I later dubbed him "Tarantula Phil" which he got a kick out of.
 R.I.P.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2022, 05:06:38 PM »
Shareen and I were greatly saddened to hear of Phil's unexpected passing.  Thankfully it was an apparently calm and non-dramatic passing blessed by the presence of his lovely and beloved Kathleen.  Our hearts and prayers go out to and for both of these special and talented friends.  Somewhere I've a picture of Phil's stunt ship from a long, long ago Nats when we were both newly declared to be adults.  If I can find it I'll post it.

God bless and welcome our friend Phil to his hallowed home.

Ted and Shareen Fancher

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 08:38:47 AM »
I'm truly sorry to hear about Phil's passing.
Simply put, Phil was one cool dude.

Steve

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2022, 03:15:21 PM »
I received a call this morning from Kathleen Granderson that her husband Phil Granderson had passed away peacefully in his sleep from heart failure. 

Phil was a new friend to me as I had only known him for a few short years.  During that time he was a wonderful inspiration to my model building and flying endeavors.   

Over the thanksgiving holiday I was in the Bay Area and was able to visit.  We spent a couple of hours sitting in his model shop.  Listening to Phil tell stories while looking at his flying art is a memory I will keep forever. 

Kathleen asked that I post this and forward any subsequent messages to her.

Respectfully
Tim Just

I didn't meet Phil often, but he always was an extremely good flyer and competitor and I never heard lose his temper.  A great man.

we spent some time at a later NATS.  I was monkeying around with the last Giles stunter I built.  He asked to fly it.  It was a pretty windy but he kept it in line.  He didn't say anything bad, but of course I know it needs work- probably an electronic 4axis flight control to keep it flying straight and smooth!

The last few months I'd been calling him once a week for a  chat.  He liked to talk as much as I do so the conversations tended to get out of hand. He even said I could cut cores for his Granderdog combat plane FOR NO Royalty.  Generous to a fault. I was very concerned when I called and couldn't get through.

I'll miss him.  I know I'll see him in Heaven, if I make it.

Phil Cartier
phil Cartier

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2022, 08:33:19 AM »
Can anyone provide me/us with a newspaper obituary for Phil?  I tried my best to find one on the internet with no luck.

Thank you.

Linheart
linheart

Advertise Here
Tags: obituary 

Advertise Here