News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:36:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PAUL WALKER'S MISS AMERICA QUESTION.  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
PAUL WALKER'S MISS AMERICA QUESTION.
« on: May 13, 2022, 09:26:37 AM »
Hello guys!

Anyone knows what 3 blade prop Mr. Paul Walker used in his Nat's winning Miss America?

Also, as I recall, it had a Saito 4 stroke on the nose: was it a .56 or .72?

Thanks!
Later,
Claudio.

PLEASE NOTE: I POSTED WRONGLY THIS SAME TOPIC IN THE "BUILDING TECHNIQUES" SECTION. PLEASE DELETE IF NECESARY AND KEEP THIS ONE ALIVE.
THANK YOU!

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: PAUL WALKER'S MISS AMERICA QUESTION.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 12:47:34 PM »
Why not send PW a personal message?
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 06:00:52 AM »
Why not send PW a personal message?

Message sent.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 09:57:44 AM »
I had tried many a prop on those 3 Mustangs.

The first 2 were take apart, and every part was interchangeable. The first used Saito 56. The second a Saito 72. The third was a one piece configuration to see how light it could be made. It was 62 ounces, and with a 72 was a very good flier. It also sported a Saito 82. That motor was a monster, but had more vibration issues than the 72. Likely why they never went into full production.

The props tried were as follows. The first was a Yatchenko 13*5 wood prop. I liked it well enough to have Brian Eather make carbon versions of it. They worked well, but the mass of that club was a bit much. I then tried various diameters of the Bolly 3 blade series. 13.5 diameter down to 12.0 diameter. Pitch ranged from 4 to 6. I settled on the 13.0 diameter with 5 inch pitch..

The plane flew better with pitch lower than 5, but the motors did not like to Rev that high. Fuel was YS 20-20. By far, that was the best fuel for those motors.

One thing to be aware if is the variability of the Saito motor builds. I had one that was clearly better, so I set out to find out why. It seems that every one was slightly different. The cam lobe shape was not consistent  nor was the assembly. Some were off a tooth on the cam timing as well.

Have fun playing with these.

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 07:24:20 AM »

The first 2 were take apart, and every part was interchangeable. The first used Saito 56. The second a Saito 72. The third was a one piece configuration to see how light it could be made. It was 62 ounces, and with a 72 was a very good flier. It also sported a Saito 82. That motor was a monster, but had more vibration issues than the 72. Likely why they never went into full production.

The props tried were as follows. The first was a Yatchenko 13*5 wood prop. I liked it well enough to have Brian Eather make carbon versions of it. They worked well, but the mass of that club was a bit much. I then tried various diameters of the Bolly 3 blade series. 13.5 diameter down to 12.0 diameter. Pitch ranged from 4 to 6. I settled on the 13.0 diameter with 5 inch pitch..

The plane flew better with pitch lower than 5, but the motors did not like to Rev that high. Fuel was YS 20-20. By far, that was the best fuel for those motors.

One thing to be aware if is the variability of the Saito motor builds. I had one that was clearly better, so I set out to find out why. It seems that every one was slightly different. The cam lobe shape was not consistent  nor was the assembly. Some were off a tooth on the cam timing as well.

Thank's Paul!
Very enlightening info...

Kind regards,
Claudio.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 08:14:44 AM »
Are there any plans available for  the P51?

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 09:06:27 AM »

One more question, Paul:
Do you remember how many RPM's were you launching at with the .72 and the 3 blade 13"x5"?

Thanks!
Claudio.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 09:24:25 AM »
It has been 20 years. Sorry, I don't remember.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 09:33:47 AM »

What?!?!?!

Well, there goes my plans for asking you detailed questions about what you were thinking when you built the weight box in your Atlantis.  (Which now has all the lead dust cleaned out, the cover renewed, and has been refilled with BBs).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 10:00:07 AM »

What?!?!?!

Well, there goes my plans for asking you detailed questions about what you were thinking when you built the weight box in your Atlantis.  (Which now has all the lead dust cleaned out, the cover renewed, and has been refilled with BBs).

I still have its twin brother. I can look at it!  No memory needed!!

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 12:19:51 PM »

Okay!
Thank you anyway...

Claudio.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 01:31:51 PM »
I still have its twin brother. I can look at it!  No memory needed!!

I think I have it figured out as best as can be without cutting into it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 01:53:47 PM »
>>>>Snip<<<<<

Interesting comments about the Saito engines. I found the same thing to be true. I didn't pull them apart to look but engine to engine consistency was lacking.  I think in most RC applications it really wouldn't be noticed until one is really trying to get everything out of it in a high performance situation. But for cruising and looking badass in a warbird they are awesome! We ran them up on the edge for CLPA so it was noticeable. I had a 56 that out performed all of my other 4s motors. Until it was crashed and damaged beyond repair.  :(
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 06:55:24 PM »
Pfffft! I GIVE UP

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 08:57:47 PM »
Pfffft! I GIVE UP

Definately .

Reg & Bruce built em , mightve binin Flying Muddles ?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 10:54:48 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 02:46:33 AM »
Definately .

Reg & Bruce built em , mightve binin Flying Muddles ?

Nope. Too Late. Too many other fish out there to slaughter. Thanks for the reply though. I was starting to think my question was in invisible or something.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 06:55:21 AM »
Are there any plans available for  the P51?

I have an RSM kit for a P-51 that has box art in the Miss America paint scheme and shows a Saito four stroke in the nose on the plans. I think it's a Pat Johnston design? Is this any relation to Paul Walker's edition??

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 08:18:35 PM »
Bruce Hoffman had / has / a ' green & gold ' miss America ' paint job one , simultaeneous( that word again ! Concurrent !!! ) with Mr Towells . A C L N 'd have pictures . around  2013 I think .

http://clamf.aerosports.net.au/?page_id=958

tsin there somewhere anyway .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here