News:

• May 02, 2024, 07:31:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I think the OS LA25 is back...  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Alexey Gorbunov

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Re: I think the OS LA25 is back...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 08:41:00 PM »
Hello
Perhaps the LA46 Silver RC is back too see :
http://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/line_up/engine/air/aircraft/airindex.htm
The silver version of the LA25 and 46 are not shown as discontinued now.

A member of our club was advised by a local hobby shop it was indeed available (it may just be old stock that they have found being Auckland NZ).
Regards Gerald

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 04:25:09 AM »
With a metal back plate, too. But 17,800 yen is currently about $158.

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/2018/25la2.html

Mr Trump's tariffs?

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
If it is due to tariffs, then could spell some good. I'd like to see the Fox .35 Stunt or K&B .35 Torpedo return.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
If it is due to tariffs, then could spell some good. I'd like to see the Fox .35 Stunt or K&B .35 Torpedo return.

George,

Your engaging in wishful thinking. The die is cast in electric power and glow is basically dead.  Few in the general modeling public other than a a diminishing c/l group would want a Fox 35 or K&B Torpedo. No market, no production. Tariffs play no part in this situation.
I know you watch the sale of engines of the various venues and you can see that old glow engines is now becoming a basement bargain product. Specialty engines will exist for awhile but even they have a definite ending. the only combustion engines still in some demand are gas engines for the larger models but increasingly more large aircraft are converting even though it is expensive. Main reason for any of the mentioned venues converting is obviously to save flying sites and perhaps gain the opportunity to procure more. I'm sure you know all of the other reasons.
An old adage is that it is nice to remember the past but never to live in it
Dennis

Tom Vieira

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »
I can live with electric.  I used to fly electric heli's (along with nitro), and while nitro is AWESOME due to sound, smell, etc., electric is nice because "it just works" and there's no slime.

the only way to keep nitro alive is to buy the product NEW when available.  that let's the OEM's know there is a market.  Who doesn't like an engine stash?  "Gee, I have all these motors of various sizes...  I suppose I should make some dust!"

HOWEVER....

as long as we don't turn into foam junkies like the r/c crowd, I'm good :)

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
The price at www.rcjapan.net is 15130 yen or about $134. I would think a CL version would be cheaper (if one will be offered).

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 09:56:29 AM »
Hello
Perhaps the LA46 Silver RC is back too see :
http://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/line_up/engine/air/aircraft/airindex.htm
The silver version of the LA25 and 46 are not shown as discontinued now.

A member of our club was advised by a local hobby shop it was indeed available (it may just be old stock that they have found being Auckland NZ).
Regards Gerald
Look down the list.  Looks like the CL version is back too!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 10:25:26 AM »
Look down the list.  Looks like the CL version is back too!

Ken

Woah, 15, 25 and 46 LA-S is on the list

Offline Cody bishop

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 01:44:59 PM »
I just got off the phone with horizon/os max they said they don’t make it currently I would be weary of that website

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 02:06:45 PM »
I just got off the phone with horizon/os max they said they don’t make it currently I would be weary of that website
Anything that is too good to be true usually is.

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 02:16:23 PM »
RC Japan is a legitimate supplier, and they say the LA-25 ll will be available in a month. You can order directly from them.

https://www.rcjapan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_321_323&products_id=28450

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 10:32:06 PM »

The website is correct, but please note it is jp - i.e. based in Japan, it is not a U.S. website.

Tower / Horizon / Great Planes are only distributors in the USA and not Japan. They do not own OS Engines manufacturing. If they decide they want to import the LA 25 and LA 46 for sale it will likely be on the basis of sufficient volume for the USA market.

If you want to buy them, for now (at least) you will need to go direct and buy from Asia (once they become available in the next few weeks).

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:12:01 AM by Bobs your Uncle »

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 07:05:53 AM »

George,

Your engaging in wishful thinking. The die is cast in electric power and glow is basically dead.  Few in the general modeling public other than a a diminishing c/l group would want a Fox 35 or K&B Torpedo. No market, no production. Tariffs play no part in this situation.
I know you watch the sale of engines of the various venues and you can see that old glow engines is now becoming a basement bargain product. Specialty engines will exist for awhile but even they have a definite ending. the only combustion engines still in some demand are gas engines for the larger models but increasingly more large aircraft are converting even though it is expensive. Main reason for any of the mentioned venues converting is obviously to save flying sites and perhaps gain the opportunity to procure more. I'm sure you know all of the other reasons.
An old adage is that it is nice to remember the past but never to live in it
Dennis
I agree the days of the Fox and K&B are gone.  However I wouldn’t paint with so large a brush. Having been to many of the Midwest’s largest contests this year,  nearly no electrics were seen,  save for the Nats.  The IC engine still thrives.  Perhaps it’s a regional thing. 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »
The website is correct, but please note it is jp - i.e. based in Japan, it is not a U.S. website.

Tower / Horizon / Great Planes are only distributors in the USA and not Japan. They do not own OS Engines manufacturing. If they decide they want to import the LA 25 and LA 46 for sale it will likely be on the basis of sufficient volume for the USA market.

If you want to buy them, for now (at least) you will need to go direct and buy from Asia (once they become available in the next few weeks).

Hobbyking have them listed :-)

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 09:38:23 PM »
Hobbyking have them listed :-)

I went to Hobby King just now. They only have the OS FS-62V Ringed Four Stroke Glow Engine and OS FS-120S III Ringed Four Stroke Glow Engine in stock. They list the OS Max LA-15 RC engine, but it is out of stock. No other OS aero engines are listed.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 11:49:58 PM »
I looked at all the links posted and don't see anything that indicates the .25LA or .46LA are going to be back. The latest date I saw was 2016; October 23 if I recall correctly. The copyright date obviously has no bearing (pun intended), and of course, 2016 was 2 years ago, so hardly current or latest news. I'd like to know from you guys that say "look at the date of publication" just where you found that, on whatever page it was that you found it. English version assumed.

I will counter with this link to the lists of discontinued O.S. engines: http://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/line_up/engine/air/aircraft/airindex.htm 

Look for the entire "LA" series; they're all there. One of the sad things about websites is that they exist until somebody quits paying the bill, whether they're current or 10 years out of date. And then, they'll still hang around, due to web crawlers and "the cloud", I suppose...but it's more of an annoyance, IMO. I still occasionally get advertising offers to increase the hits on the NW Skyraiders' site, which has been gone for about 10 years or so. I suppose they want to sell banner ads...not happening!  LL~ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »
https://www.rcjapan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_321_323&products_id=28450

Yes, I saw that on the other thread. But none of the links showed anything convincing on this thread. That's the problem...one thread with apparently good information, and this one without any good links. And it's not April 1, so I do have some hope. I'm wondering if OS has found out about the high price of .25 LA and .46 LA on eBay? Some do seem to be making a bit of profit on them...not naming names. The last .46 LA I bought (NIB from the LHS)  was $50 including tax, but it was their last day in business, and there wasn't anybody else in the store.  :'(

This brings me to a pet peeve of mine...crappy subject lines that give little or no information about the topic, news or question being asked. I've ragged on one member about it, but he hasn't figured it out yet. A little effort would prevent a good share of these duplicate threads. Alexey wrote a good subject line...the other, earlier thread did not have a good subject line. This resulted in Alexey posting a second thread on the same topic...which is not his fault! The link in the first thread appears to give good news, but none posted in this thread showed anything useful until BYU's post above...and I'm not sure why that would be. It seems odd that "RC Japan" has news that the OS site does not. I'd expect it would be the other way 'round, but then again, many websites are not kept up to date, which really sux, IMO.    mw~  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 03:47:08 PM »

Yes, I saw that on the other thread. But none of the links showed anything convincing on this thread. That's the problem...one thread with apparently good information, and this one without any good links. And it's not April 1, so I do have some hope. I'm wondering if OS has found out about the high price of .25 LA and .46 LA on eBay? Some do seem to be making a bit of profit on them...not naming names. The last .46 LA I bought (NIB from the LHS)  was $50 including tax, but it was their last day in business, and there wasn't anybody else in the store.  :'(

This brings me to a pet peeve of mine...crappy subject lines that give little or no information about the topic, news or question being asked. I've ragged on one member about it, but he hasn't figured it out yet. A little effort would prevent a good share of these duplicate threads. Alexey wrote a good subject line...the other, earlier thread did not have a good subject line. This resulted in Alexey posting a second thread on the same topic...which is not his fault! The link in the first thread appears to give good news, but none posted in this thread showed anything useful until BYU's post above...and I'm not sure why that would be. It seems odd that "RC Japan" has news that the OS site does not. I'd expect it would be the other way 'round, but then again, many websites are not kept up to date, which really sux, IMO.    mw~  Steve
Keeping the Subject line dull and obscure allowed for a fun surprise. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here