General control line discussion > Open Forum

Pathfinder ARC Electric Conversion Build Log

(1/12) > >>

Crist Rigotti:
Guys,
While at the Cleveland contest this PF was for sale.  I just missed picking it up.  The next day I asked around and found the modeler who bought it and asked if was willing to sell it.  He said sure, and we struck a deal.  The guy is a real gem that we find in our control line community.

The reason I wanted the PF was for next year, I was planning on going bigger than my usual 575 sq. in airplane.  I liked that size because when I flew a larger airplane like 610 to 650 sq/in it was just too much airplane to fly when the wind came up. These were IC powered and weighed between 53 and 57 ounces dry.

I am planning on a 620 sq/in airplane for next year that will be electric powered, of course.  Then I saw the PF and thought it would be a cheap way to find out if I can handle a 620 sq/in electric airplane that weighed about 56 ounces.  I could get it done in a week or so and find out well before I have to start cutting balsa for next year.

The weight of each of components are:
Fuselage - 168g  5.9oz
Wing - 314g  11.1oz
Flaps - 42p  1.5oz
Stab - 49g  1.7oz
Elevators - 32g  1.1oz
Fin/Rudder - 10g  .4oz
Totals - 615g  21.7oz

I'm was going to lengthen the nose from 9" to 11" but I just might make a new fuselage with the longer nose and then I'll be in compliance with BOM rules.

The electric equipment will be:

Either a Cobra 3515/18 or a BadAss 3515-740Kv
Igor's active timer
Spin 44 ESC
6S 2200mah battery
3 blade CF prop TBD

Weight target is 56 ounces.

Frank Imbriaco:
Crist :
Please tell us if you find a 6S 2200 lipo . I want to stick with 25 C.  Yes, there are 45C out there , but they're heavier. There's a hobby supplier from China  who  advertises on eBay. Not feeling that I want to deal with them.

TP will not make them unless we give a sizeable order and prove they'll continue to sell. Something about cost to develop and certification.
Frank

Perry Rose:
Ad an inch to each end of the stab/elev. It will fly better. Total  span 28 inches.

Crist Rigotti:
Well, I finally got started on this project.  I had to finish another one before this one.

Today I replaced the lead outs and flap pushrod.  I kept the same 4" plastic bell crank and added new wrapped lead outs and a ball link for the flap pushrod.  I cut away some center sheeting to get to the bell crank mounting bolt.  I cut the head off then removed the lower bell crank platform.  I used a new 6-32 bolt and spaced the bell crank so it fit between the 2 platforms.  I did shim the lower one 1/16 lower so the bolt would fit with the new locking nuts.

Next up I'll cut the hinge slots and do some detail sanding to get it ready for the Monokote.

Crist Rigotti:
I cut the hinge slots in both the wing and flaps.  I'm using pinned hinges and not he RC type supplied.  I also re-glued the entire wing with thin CA and the landing gear blocks with medium CA.  I terminated the leadouts and replaced the adjustable LO guide bolt with a longer bolt and the "crimped" the threads so the screw won't come out.

I then detailed sanded everything and vacuumed it all off.

The wing now weighs 319 grams and the flaps weigh 41 grams.  A total of 3 grams more, but better glued!

Next up the stab and elevator.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version