News:

• May 12, 2024, 09:32:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Top Flight P-40F Flying Tiger  (Read 947 times)

Offline Jay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
Top Flight P-40F Flying Tiger
« on: December 18, 2020, 03:24:39 PM »
I recently acquired a Top Flight P-40F Flying Tiger kit.  About the only thing I can recognize is the fuselage halves and some scrape wood.  The box art is cool but no ribs or plans. The box says NEW! Superform Construction.
I did a search on Hip Pocket and nothing came up.
Does anyone have a set of plans that they can copy and send to me?  I would be more than happy to cover the cost.

Jay
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Top Flight P-40F Flying Tiger
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 05:11:33 PM »
I recently acquired a Top Flight P-40F Flying Tiger kit.  About the only thing I can recognize is the fuselage halves and some scrape wood.  The box art is cool but no ribs or plans. The box says NEW! Superform Construction.
I did a search on Hip Pocket and nothing came up.
Does anyone have a set of plans that they can copy and send to me?  I would be more than happy to cover the cost.

Jay
If I remember correctly(fat chance!) the plans only had a topview of the wing.  I think the root and tip ribs had trailing edge support wedges on the ribs.  There was a side view, maybe full size.  the P-40, and I think a Hawker Hurricane were made with the same fuselage but a different wing layout.

It was a pretty fragile design.  Quite difficult to fit the fuse formers to the shells and keep everything straight and matching side to side.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 05:26:06 PM »
The plans shown are the only ones I remember coming with the kit. Built one in 1967. Never flew.

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 08:17:00 PM »
I also built one about 1965....    International orange and a worn out McCoy 29 rear rotor....   landing gear was too far back...    Had a high school friend give it a shot put launch and it would 'fly'.....   Very 'dense' construction...    Plans were minimal.  And yes, getting the innards to fit right was  a problem.  quite a learning experience for a beginner!
Jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here