News:

• May 20, 2024, 06:27:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PAMPA Stunt News Disk. - My Lap-Top Cannot read the Disk- What's Up???  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter

Hello Guys,
                         My lap-Top cannot read the "Stunt News" disk. The disk is in "PDF." format. My computor reads some PDF files and some it doesn't read. When I click to open the file, the window caption reads SN Magazine Nov-Dec pdf- select encoding that makes your doc. readable.
                                        o Win. default- which is high-lighted
                                        o MS-DOS
                                        o other encoding
          I leave it "on win default" click OK  and funny script comes up. The other "dos" and "other encoding" icons do the same "!!%%**#@#~!!#%$%%^&&^#$%^%.....bs thing!!! Since I am totally lacking in computor savvy are some of you guys able to enlighten me on how to resolve this problem, because I am totally lost.
          Doug P. 

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: PAMPA Stunt News Disk. - My Lap-Top Cannot read the Disk- What's Up???
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 08:05:48 AM »
Two quick questions:

1) Are you using Adobe Reader to open/read PDF files?

2) What version of Adobe Reader are you using?

Since you're saying you can open some PDF files and not others, I'm wondering if you're using an older version of Adobe Reader. PDF files only have a limited amount of "Backwards" compatibility - depending on what newer version of Adobe Acrobat was used to create the PDF, it might not be compatible with your version of Adobe Reader.

Just a thought.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
      Thanks Mike for responding. According to my control panel under "programs and features" I have Adobe Reader X (10.1.1). Several months ago I was not able to read any "pdf" files. I would get a message that said my Microsoft windows version was having compatibility problems with the Adobe Reader version I had at the time which I believe was Adobe 5.5? I uninstalled that version and installed the Adobe X(10.1.1). I was then able to read some but not all "pdf" files, so that is where I am now. I have the  MicroSoft 2007 Office version on my Compaq lap-top which was bought new in 2009. Any ideas?
       Thanks  a bunch,
                                Doug   

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:00:03 AM »
This will not answer your question but might solve your problem.

You can down load it from the PAMPA web site, takes about 3 mins. If you have a CD burner, burn it to CD.

May just have a bad copy on the CD.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »
My lap is slow about reading the PAMPA Stunt News CD.   I have found a little patience on my part lets it load just fine.    Then it is just step thru the page numbers til I get where I left off.   I think my lap top loads only a little at a time while it gets rid of what I have just read. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:06:36 AM »
Doc,
If you do a right click and do a save as, you can save it to your local hard drive. It should read faster then reading it off the web page.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 10:56:43 AM »
Doc,
If you do a right click and do a save as, you can save it to your local hard drive. It should read faster then reading it off the web page.

Oh, yeah, don't read it straight off the CD!  Copy the file to the HD and read it from there.

Brett

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
     Thanks Mike for responding. According to my control panel under "programs and features" I have Adobe Reader X (10.1.1). Several months ago I was not able to read any "pdf" files. I would get a message that said my Microsoft windows version was having compatibility problems with the Adobe Reader version I had at the time which I believe was Adobe 5.5? I uninstalled that version and installed the Adobe X(10.1.1). I was then able to read some but not all "pdf" files, so that is where I am now. I have the  MicroSoft 2007 Office version on my Compaq lap-top which was bought new in 2009. Any ideas?
       Thanks  a bunch,
                                Doug    

This is to all that may be thinking about deleting older software. DO NOT DELETE ANY. When one updates to a newer version of anything (Excel, Adobe, etc.), the software will take care of your unused old cab (files that are the code)files but will leave the codes to handle the older files. If a program file was written in an older version, it may not work with a newer version due to the fact that it did not load those older files (it assumes you had them)to handle the older written files. The version updates will delete what is not needed, but will leave all the older handling of files. When one deletes an older version, much older, that is exactly what happens. You can't read the older version of files. Your adobe was 5.0xx versions behind. That is a lot. I would install the older version back after deleting the newest first (from the programs/ control panel/ etc.). After your older version is loaded, go on line and update to the newest Adobe reader. Do not delete your old 5.xx. Adobe will replace anything that it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't work, you may need to purchase a MS Office for Home pack.
 Another thing, ALWAYS BUY THE DISKS. Do not download programs for your computer on the web. It is a pain to reload if something goes wrong due to the lack of competency of the English language at the other end of the call.

Good Luck

H^^

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »
 Well, you guys have given me some things to think about and try. I appreciate all the help. I'll let yawl know how it turns out.
     Thanks to all,
                       Doug

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »
  Guys, the advice yawl gave me was "spot on". I went to the "recent items" icon on the start screen while the disk was still in the drive, then right clicked on "Stunt News-Nov-Dec", then an option list came up and I left clicked on "open with"> "Adobe Reader" and the Magazine came to life! In addition, when I saved it to the hard drive like you said Brent it read it just fine. Man!!, I've been struggling with this disk for a month, and you guys got me going in (5) minutes. I'm really "country come to de big city" on these  D...!!@#$^%%$$^&*&%$#@@!N computors. Thank yawl too much as the Cajun seeze! Now I'm also able to read all my machinist "pdf" files.
        Doug   

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here