News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PAMPA records for...  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
PAMPA records for...
« on: May 23, 2021, 10:15:36 PM »
Just read John Thompson's post about his record and got me thinking of some very trivial, but fun records. I think I'm still the historian, so, I'm all ears.
How about these: Anyone want to nominate themselves for some "for fun" records?
1. Lightest or smallest plane to fly the pattern in competition (that's the key- plane must have flow the pattern in a competition). There have been quite a few half A's over the years, but has it ever been done with an .020 in competition?
2. Largest plane to fly the pattern in competition. There's that big 1200 square inch flying wing OTS plane. Urtnowski's original sweeper and mig sweeper may have been heavier, but smaller wing area. Any takers?
3. Most engines to fly the pattern in competition? So far, probably Paul Walker's b-17, but I know of a b-36 in the works.
4. Most wings? Anyone registered a pattern in competition with a tri-plane?
5. How about oldest plane to fly the pattern in competition. I've heard of some forty year old models flying classic, but who wants to claim the record?
6. Youngest flier to complete the pattern in competition?
7. Oldest flier to complete the pattern in competition? I think it may be Wes Dick.
8. What about, fastest complete pattern? I watched Dennis Nunes flying a leaned out flite streak in classic a few years ago that was right on 4 second laps.

9. Any other strange awards?
Thanks

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: PAMPA records for...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 12:07:53 AM »
Second lightest: Larry Renger

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 12:10:46 AM »
First lightest: Larry Renger

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 12:12:54 AM »
Most expensive: Kestas D.

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 12:17:10 AM »
Most motors pointing in different directions (2): Bob Harness

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 12:21:49 AM »
Pilot who successfully flew the pattern in the highest wind speed: Brett Buck
Pilot who had the most opponents pass (99%) due to wind and still flew: Brett Buck
Pilot who drove the farthest to do so (NorCal to Whittier Narrows): Brett Buck

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 12:25:52 AM »
Largest number of tiny Barbies eaten by a Shark 45: Fred Staley

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 12:36:04 AM »
Largest number of deceased stunt pilots memorialized and flown inside a stunt plane
(1 - Bob Werle): Warren Walker and Dennis Coleman

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 12:45:22 AM »
Largest number of first-time student pilots taught on a single airframe that still flies: Several hundred
Stunt genius who designed the unkillable trainer: Larry Renger

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 12:46:59 AM »
Youngest competition stunt pilot: I’m guessing Sam Londke (Mike Londke’s son)

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 12:55:54 AM »
Smallest number of lines used to successfully fly the full pattern (1): Joe Kirn
Largest number of hands required to fly the stunt pattern (2 - Monoline Control): Joe Kirn
Largest number of amazed onlookers while a lack of line tension caused the pilot no concern or loss of control: Joe Kirn

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 01:01:00 AM »
Longest one-handed wheelie on a production motorcycle in a parade by an accomplished stunt pilot (actual distance unverified and unreported to Ripley’s): Scott Dinger
Accomplished stunt pilot who used the smallest production motorcycle to set a one-handed wheelie record in a parade: Also Scott Dinger

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 01:12:19 AM »
Most engines (11 besting by FAR even the mighty B-36): Terry Aldrich

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 01:19:40 AM »
The largest h-stab to wing ratio (the Doodlebug series): The late great Wild Bill Netzeband

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 01:24:12 AM »
Largest pan of Paella cooked by an accomplished stunt pilot at a contest: Warren Walker

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:44:55 AM by Paul Wescott »

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 01:49:07 AM »
Most ellipticalest (roundest?) airframe to fly the pattern: The late great Randy Heydon

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 01:54:07 AM »
The most airplanes built and given away (a couple hundred) in a single day at an AMA Expo by a VERY accomplished stunt pilot: The late great Tom Collier

(ok they were really tiny, but he was still a great Ambassador to the hobby)

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2021, 01:55:31 AM »
Strange enough awards or should I try harder...

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 03:17:43 AM »
Oldest piped biplane (1970)...

Regards,
Wolfgang

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2021, 06:10:54 AM »
Just read John Thompson's post about his record and got me thinking of some very trivial, but fun records. I think I'm still the historian, so, I'm all ears.

At The Brodak, maybe 12 years ago, somebody flew a twin-40 quadra-plane.

I can't put an exact age number on it, but Art Adamisin's five children flew at very young ages.  When I got in, his oldest was 13 and the younger four were at it.

8. What about, fastest complete pattern? I watched Dennis Nunes flying a leaned out flite streak in classic a few years ago that was right on 4 second laps.

I've done MANY contest patterns with planes very close to 3-second laps.

Thanks
Paul Smith

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2021, 06:54:24 AM »
Largest number of first-time student pilots taught on a single airframe that still flies: Several hundred
Stunt genius who designed the unkillable trainer: Larry Renger

I'll have to contest this one! I just don't know how to post a picture. Bob Arata and I designed the replacement airplane for the Kid Venture circles at Oshkosh using the left over Norvel .061 engines from the Bratco Sky Babies that SIG donated to the cause. We called our model the TuffBaby . I was made from mostly hardware store materials, mainly the same coreplast material used in Larry's model, and yard sticks with the engine being rubber band mounted ala the Goldberg Wizard. We took 5 of them to KidVenture in 2010 and as of 2019 four of the originals were still flying, and the 5th just needed the flying surfaces replaced, which was a feature designed into the airplane. Each airplane would have flight numbering into the thousands by 2019 as I think they were averaging 3 to 4 thousand people passing through the circles each year.. There were a total of 20 built including some by other volunteers but most have not been flown because they haven't been needed!! The AMA has a short film regarding the TuffBaby that I think can be viewed through the AMA website.
     Our club is going to adopt Larry's electric design for club demonstrations and such. It is a great design and has some features that the TuffBaby doesn't, but we'll continue to use the TuffBaby also as long as we have grass to fly over.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2021, 09:51:15 AM »
Tampa Bay Flyers Annual contest .Big Ringmaster OS,LA46 lean run 3.4 laps .completed pattern but ran over on time
rad racer

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2021, 11:49:20 AM »
Pilot who successfully flew the pattern in the highest wind speed: Brett Buck
Pilot who had the most opponents pass (99%) due to wind and still flew: Brett Buck
Pilot who drove the farthest to do so (NorCal to Whittier Narrows): Brett Buck

Very flattering, and you can see that my "crashed 40 times" and "weenie motor" profile trainer can handle moderately rough conditions.

But as far at the first one goes, I think I am not the guy. It might have been the highest that day, but several people made it through after Gieseke and I flew at the 2003 NATS when the wind was gusting routinely above 30 MPH. Bear at least did not crash (although he did fall down - and get back up - while flying in about 30 sustained and gusts well over that)), but I sure did!  And I assure you that the 2003 NATs and the Bob Palmer meet as pictured was not *remotely* the worst air I had ever flown in. The Palmer meet was a pretty normal day at Whittier Narrows, and very typical of that second circle over by the freeway.

I am sure we will no be regaled with tales about how "we used to fly 7.5 second laps in a 40 mph wind all the time, it's no big deal if you know what you are doing", which may be true. But someone is going to have to demonstrate.

The dead worst conditions I ever flew in was (with all apologies to the Dayton Buzzin Buzzards) was about 15 mph over the trees at Dayton, Ohio. That day, I folded the stab *in inverted level flight*. That was also another day when absolutely everyone else bailed out. stupid me did not, because I figured I had a lot of glue. I freely admit I did not shed a tear when, about 5 years ago, a tornado came through there and while the field was fine, the trees got knocked down.

Brett

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2021, 11:58:41 AM »
First lightest: Larry Renger

OKay, I'm interested. Can I get a weight, area, and if possible, is there a contest date it flew successfully in?

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2021, 12:00:05 PM »

Twin 40 quadra plane? Now we're talking. Was this exhibition or official stunt flight?

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2021, 01:13:13 PM »
Most motors pointing in different directions (2): Bob Harness

Let's give credit where credit is due on this one: It was Richard Loomis' design (Two Bits), and with it he won Senior at the 1967 Nats. Bob's ship is a fantastic tribute to the late Mr. Loomis...

Bob Hunt

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2021, 01:23:05 PM »
Here's one for the record books: Longest span of years between capturing the Walker Trophy. Give up? It was Bill Werwage who first won it as a Senior in 1959 (besting the Open flier, Bob Palmer that year), and then won it last in 2010. He also won it in 1971 and again in 1981.

Bob Hunt

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2021, 03:06:51 PM »
One more Bill Werwage record: This one for longest span between winning a world championships. He won his first one in 1970 and his third one in 2004. That's 34 years between the first one and his latest (I won't go so far as to say his "last" one. With Billy, who knows...) He also won the World Championships in 1972.

Bob Hunt

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2021, 05:57:45 PM »
Here's one for the record books: Longest span of years between capturing the Walker Trophy. Give up? It was Bill Werwage who first won it as a Senior in 1959 (besting the Open flier, Bob Palmer that year), and then won it last in 2010. He also won it in 1971 and again in 1981.

Bob Hunt

Thanks Bob, Those Werwage records are quite inspiring. Perhaps only in curling have champions repeated with so many years between.
But, who was the first electric flier to record a flight in competition. I imagine that one is recorded in Mr. Paul's records.
How about, highest finish for a twin? Bob Whitely said his LA Heat finished in sixth by a quarter of a point to Kaz Minato. Did Paul make top five with either B-17?

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2021, 03:43:23 PM »
Maybe not the smallest.  Maybe not the lightest.  But this model has flown the OTS pattern at Zoot's Ranch (Mile Hazel).  0.020 diesel and flying weight 2.9  oz.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2021, 04:01:43 PM »
Continuing on:  Here is Tom Lay's Tiny Ringmaster, with Tom holding.  Similarly, another view of my Tiny Fry, with me holding.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2021, 10:51:26 AM »
As to the worst wind conditions for completing the pattern, I don't know the statistics, but the 1987 Lincoln Nats must be one of the worst.  The seemingly gale-force winds caused serious problems for some competitors in fast combat, which is not usually bothered by wind.  PA was going on at the same time, and I remember wondering how anyone could fly a pattern in such conditions.  I believe Paul Walker won that Nats -- maybe he can supply the details.

Very flattering, and you can see that my "crashed 40 times" and "weenie motor" profile trainer can handle moderately rough conditions.

But as far at the first one goes, I think I am not the guy. It might have been the highest that day, but several people made it through after Gieseke and I flew at the 2003 NATS when the wind was gusting routinely above 30 MPH. Bear at least did not crash (although he did fall down - and get back up - while flying in about 30 sustained and gusts well over that)), but I sure did!  And I assure you that the 2003 NATs and the Bob Palmer meet as pictured was not *remotely* the worst air I had ever flown in. The Palmer meet was a pretty normal day at Whittier Narrows, and very typical of that second circle over by the freeway.

I am sure we will no be regaled with tales about how "we used to fly 7.5 second laps in a 40 mph wind all the time, it's no big deal if you know what you are doing", which may be true. But someone is going to have to demonstrate.

The dead worst conditions I ever flew in was (with all apologies to the Dayton Buzzin Buzzards) was about 15 mph over the trees at Dayton, Ohio. That day, I folded the stab *in inverted level flight*. That was also another day when absolutely everyone else bailed out. stupid me did not, because I figured I had a lot of glue. I freely admit I did not shed a tear when, about 5 years ago, a tornado came through there and while the field was fine, the trees got knocked down.

Brett

John Thompson
Flying Lines

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2021, 12:23:14 PM »
Most ellipticalest (roundest?) airframe to fly the pattern: The late great Randy Heydon

I think that this is a rather interesting model! It looks like it is proportioned well and would fly fairly well. Any idea of a plan is available anywhere? I would hate to have to try and raw that shape and get it any where near correct!

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2021, 12:06:34 AM »
1. Lightest or smallest plane to fly the pattern in competition (that's the key- plane must have flow the pattern in a competition). There have been quite a few half A's over the years, but has it ever been done with an .020 in competition?
2. Largest plane to fly the pattern in competition. There's that big 1200 square inch flying wing OTS plane. Urtnowski's original sweeper and mig sweeper may have been heavier, but smaller wing area. Any takers?
3. Most engines to fly the pattern in competition? So far, probably Paul Walker's b-17, but I know of a b-36 in the works.
5. How about oldest plane to fly the pattern in competition. I've heard of some forty year old models flying classic, but who wants to claim the record?
7. Oldest flier to complete the pattern in competition? I think it may be Wes Dick.

Thanks

Seen at Brodak's on 2007: 4 wings (two with flaps), two horizontal tails, and two engines - of different brand & displacement...  I believe the builder/flyer was George Joy.  A triplane seems so quaint by comparison..!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags: bipe biplane 

Advertise Here