News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:44:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Built up Fuselages  (Read 930 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Built up Fuselages
« on: July 03, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
Here is something that I have wondered about in constructing a full fuselage.  Assuming it is a kit..you punch out the formers and build the fuselage by whatever method you use, (ie upside down, on a jig, or whatever)  when you finish you sight down the fuselage and discover that one side curves a little more than the other one.  What is the cause or causes for this happening?

Thankd

Mike

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Built up Fuselages
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:51:29 AM »
The problem is likely caused by different stresses in each sheet of balsa.........

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »
Not putting in structure that holds things in place while it's still in the jig!

Unless you're hand-selecting (or hand-tuning, with a sanding board) the fuselage sides after you cut them, you're never going to get this absolutely perfect.  You'll probably often come close by hand-selecting the sheets from which you cut the fuselage sides, though.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
I got the problem solved at least for this fuselage.  I removed formers F3 thru F7, because the bowing problem was from there back, not the crutch.  I went to the very end of the tail ofthe fuselage where they come together and while sighting down the fuslage sides, I used the fingers on my right hand to slide the fuselage sides slight back and forth until the curvature in the fuselage sides matched and then I clamped the very end of the fuselage sides back together.  I then reinserted the formers and glued them back and now the curve on both sides match.  Remember, this is a kit cut from contest balsa and the side that was curved or bowed too much was softer balsa and I am sure that had something to do with it also....I think I got it solved.

Mike

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:43:12 PM »
Purchase a C.F. Slattery fuselage jig.  Problem solved.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:24:40 AM »
Even with a jig sometimes a fuse will come out slightly bowed unless you put in diagonal braces between the formers top and bottom.  Go look at Doug Moon's construction pics.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here