News:

• May 04, 2024, 07:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bushing for LA15 props  (Read 2510 times)

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Bushing for LA15 props
« on: October 04, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »
I recently purchased an LA15, when I tried to put on an APC 8-4 prop the hole in the prop was way too large. The person I bought the motor from also sent 2 master airscrew 8-4 props, and they fit fine. Does anyone make a bushing so that the APC props will work with the small dia. shaft on the LA15?

Thanks,

Rich

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bushing for LA15 props
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
I don't know of any commercial ones, but I'm sure Jim Lee of Lee's Machine can make some for you.  He's listed in the Vendor's section.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 04:55:41 PM »
I recently purchased an LA15, when I tried to put on an APC 8-4 prop the hole in the prop was way too large. The person I bought the motor from also sent 2 master airscrew 8-4 props, and they fit fine. Does anyone make a bushing so that the APC props will work with the small dia. shaft on the LA15?

Thanks,

Rich

Most of the APC electric props come with a set of bushings.  They are plastic but would suffice to center the hub of the nitro APC 8-4 if the OD was the correct size.  E-Flite makes aluminum prop bushings.  I think some spinner manufacturers also include bushings for different size prop shafts.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:45:44 PM »

Thanks,

Rich

Many times you can just use either aluminum or brass  tubing, just slice off pieces about 1/4 to 3/8 wide, if you need a thicker piece the sizes  telescope into each other.
I just roll the tube with a single sided razor blade , or a new long Xacto blade, then just snap off, they are very easy to do

Randy

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 12:28:48 AM »
Just as Randy san says, I use K&S alum tube for this purpose.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBJWY&P=0
For new (=not enlarged hole) APC 8-4, this size is perfect.
For 1/4" hole, you will need to wrap one or two turns of masking tape on the tube.

Aki

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 05:25:17 AM »
Thanks for the replies guy,s, I thought I,d be stuck using the master airscrew props.

Rich

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »
No need to hesitate to use APCs. Generally, wrapping masking tape directly on the shaft will be OK  ;)

Aki

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
On the same theme as masking tape, serveral layers of heat shrink tubing will work.  Just keep adding and shrinking layer-by-layer until you have a nice snug fit.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:50:00 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 10:24:03 AM »
You can just center the prop by eye, once tight it will stay in place.

MM

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 07:50:27 PM »
When needed, I use a slice of truck (bus) air line. I use a piece of 3/4" plastic air line as a chicken stick. Tough as nails and usually doesn't hurt wood props. Comes in all sizes.

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 11:50:13 PM »
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I have a few questions:

1) How important is it to mount the center of the prop to the center of the motor shaft?  It sure would seem that some of the recommendations above would not guarantee a very accurate centering.
      a) wrap the shaft with tape
      b) put some heat-shrink tubing on the shaft
      c) just "eyeball" center the large prop hub hole to the small shaft

2) How important is it to balance a propeller?   Does it make sense to spend time balancing a propeller and then not ensure the propeller is centered on the shaft?

I'm a newcomer to this, still learning.  I'm using APC 8X4 on LA15 (my "coach" gave me one prop with a bushing and I've been transferring that bushing to new props as I break them).    I'm using 9X4 on my FP25 (shaft and hole seem to fit fine as-is).  I really do like these APC propellers.  My "coach" made me replace the black Master Airscrew when I first started flying and it was an amazing improvement going from that prop to the APC.

But the hubs on the APC props seem to be designed weird.  Why don't they have a more "solid" front and back face, like other molded propellers?

Offline Robert Dible

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 08:18:16 AM »
The APC were designed to be used with an adaptor insert on the back side.  The thin web in the middle of the hub is thin, so it is easy to ream, but would provide a stop for the insert.  I used to get metal inserts directly from Fred Burgdorf years ago at the pylon races we both competed in.  

This was after he raced for many years using Rev-up props, since it was several years before APC were allowed in the event.  When Rev-up props became difficult to get, the APC props were finally allowed in competition.  The production at Rev-up pretty much came to an end when Chris Machin's wife Ethel died.  I had worked for him part time during college, which at that time his rival was Mike Schlesinger of Top Flite models.  Chris didn't think too much of other props made back then, but he talked a lot with Mr. Schlesinger usually about costs and pricing.

About wood props, there were two things that Chris was adamant about with wood props.  
First, always flex the blades so the wood grain could be proven strong enough to put on an engine.  This applies to new props or one that have made slight contact with the ground, and especially any that have been modified.

Second, always ream the hub enough that it will freely slide onto the shaft.  Too tight, forced on, or especially on some engines where there is a slight change in shaft size next to the drive washer.  Any of those conditions can split the grain right at the hub when you tighten down the prop.  Thrown blades are exciting, but an unbalanced prop from losing a blade can destroy an airplane very quickly.

Oh, the masking tape works pretty good in a pinch for centering.  Better than most reamers.
AMA 41701

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 08:50:02 AM »

if u need to ream a prop ,make that the first step .then measure each blade to make sure it hasn't shifted .if it has ,trim the long blade and then balance
rad racer

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 10:02:19 AM »
Pat, I wound up using one of the bushings that came with a plastic spinner. Works great.

Rich.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here