News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint stand  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Thomas Smeltzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Paint stand
« on: March 29, 2023, 01:21:46 PM »
Looking for a source to  buy a paint stand.

Thanks
Tom

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Paint stand
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 03:52:27 PM »
Looking for a source to  buy a paint stand.

Thanks
Tom

You can make one with PVC pipe and a wood dowel. I’ll take a picture of one of mine when I get home from work
Matt Colan

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 05:32:57 PM »
Plywood and broom handle.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 06:31:12 PM »
  As stated, easy to make, but keep your eyes and ears peeled for anyone selling a Byron Barker made paint stand. They work very well, very sturdy, and break down to a few steel tubes for storage in a corner out of the way. Byron sold a lot of those, so I imagine that there are still a lot of them out there. If you can borrow one and have the fabrication skills or know some one who does, they can be easily copied.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 06:34:32 PM »
Plumbing department:

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 01:57:08 AM »
Its how the post or broom handle is attached to the plane that I'm curious about.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 02:31:04 AM »
Here's one way:

A piece of "broomstick" becomes the armature once you attach the engine plate to it. The engine plate needs to be shouldered tight to the armature to keep it from twisting since I only used one bolt to attach it. You could use two. The use of hardwood is highly recommended! I threaded the engine plate to receive the one bolt that holds it on. That seemed easiest. Not sure if the plate shown is 1/8" or 3/16". But for sure it is aircraft grade and temper.

The stand is made from 3/4" pipe I up-cycled from someone's sprinkler system redo. Knocked the dirt off with a trowel and then wirebrushed everything before it got the infamous Rustoleum treatment.

End effector is cut from some hardwood pieces--I used oak because I had scrap material around. I used 5/16" carriage bolts to clamp everything. It gives enough range of motion so that you can get the plane into the best position for whatever you are doing to it. The plane can rotate 360 degrees in roll by loosening the knob clamping the armature. The plane can tip +/-40 degrees by loosening the middle knob. And, you can spin things around the stand a bit if you need to clear some obstruction on the floor. For me, when working in a crowded garage it means getting one of the legs clear of the workbench legs, or getting all three legs off the carpet so it won't rock. Mine only has three legs, so you must keep the plane weight on the middle leg side. I also put some weight on that leg if I am working outside and it is breezy since doing major repairs to a plane I haven't even finished yet is kind of a downer.

I made the knobs, but you could just use a nut-and-wrench approach.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 07:52:20 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 08:53:52 AM »
Here is a picture of mine using the iron pipe mounted on a movable base (flange mount) and a PVC Tee with disconnect ends (from Home Depot). Uses the broom handle with plywood mount plate. The Tee ends have rubble seals that tighten on the broom stick and hold it in any position you want.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 09:13:46 AM »
Here's one way:

A piece of "broomstick" becomes the armature once you attach the engine plate to it. The plate needs to be shouldered tight to the engine plate to keep it from twisting since I only used one bolt to attach it. You could use two....
Very nice - I like it!

Dennis

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 12:46:16 PM »
Here is how I do mine. 3/4” PVC with a dowel and thumb screw to lock it in and bolted to the motor mounts. Easy and cheap
Matt Colan

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 01:38:58 AM »
The thought of having to fabricate a new motor mount holding fixture for each different engine has always been a deal breaker for me. I dread the thought. Hopefully one day i will start.
Thank you for sharing.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2023, 07:04:48 AM »
Kevin,
On my paint stand I use a section of broomstick the goes through the PVC Tee, the mount end has a slit cut through, with two holes drilled through for clamp bolts. The mount plate is 1/8" real plywood so that fits the bolt pattern of the engine/motor being used. Once you have it for a particular engine/motor it works in all ship that you would use that engine/motor in. I also did one stick with a vertical plate (use a countersunk screw through the end) for take-a-part wing. I've used the 1/8" ply mount on my one piece Magnum ship with no trouble, just don't use lite ply for bigger ship.

Best,     DennisT

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2023, 08:10:37 AM »
I use a black & decker workmate as a stand and a piece of broom handle with motor plate attached.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2023, 09:07:05 AM »
The thought of having to fabricate a new motor mount holding fixture for each different engine has always been a deal breaker for me. I dread the thought. Hopefully one day i will start.
Thank you for sharing.

The engine mounts plates are made from plywood, and often fit more than one engine, so easy to make. 1/8" aluminum isn't too difficult to work with. These then bolt to the armature, or what ever you want to call it that fits into the trunnion on top of the stand. I'll bet you wouldn't need to make more than 4.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2023, 01:49:25 PM »
Thanks Dan 👍

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2023, 11:08:37 AM »
I built a clone of the Byron Barker paint stand but never used it.  I can assemble it and post a photo if anyone is interested in buying it.  Shipping costs will probably be up there.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2023, 12:51:03 PM »
Well, what do you know.  I already  posted pix years ago and I did use it once.  Here is the thread:

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/bb-paint-stand-repro-is-completed!/

All offers considered.

AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here