News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How not to get dizzy??  (Read 1176 times)

Offline madcustoms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
How not to get dizzy??
« on: September 21, 2006, 05:01:03 PM »
any suggestions  n~

My eight year old and I are really having fun with our  1/2a's but the dizzy has to go...

An good drills or practice methods??

Thanks gents..
Matt

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: How not to get dizzy??
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 05:27:45 PM »
I don't know for sure, but it seems the dizziness comes from concentrating on the plane so hard and seeing the moving scenery (in the peripheral vision).   Kinda like Ice Skaters who fix on a spot and whip back around to it when they are spinning.  They don't "look" while they are spinning, they focus in one spot.

I think it becomes less of a problem when you get more comfortable and not zeroed in on the plane so hard.

Bill <<>
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 05:42:36 PM »
I was taught to pick out something outside the circle and take a short glimpse of it every time I turned in its area. Could be a tree, parked car, lawnchair,ect... always worked! After a while, you don't even think about it and have fun without falling down!!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 06:01:27 PM »
I have found that probably half of the flight I am not *looking* at the plane.  I am when getting ready to set up for the next maneuver, during the maneuver, and during level/inverted flight, but the rest is *sorta* looking at the plane, looking for "benchmarks", reference points, the wind streamer (if present), and the ground..........

Wow, did I write that??????????  **) **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bill marvel

• Commander
  • Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 08:57:08 PM »
Hi, Matt

These are all good suggestions.  I have been flying these things for  nearly 60 years.  I still experience a little dizziness when I have not gotten to fly for several months.

One thing that works is to measure the amount of fuel you put in the tank and reduce it until you conquer the dizzys.  It is called "short-tanking".  Time your engine run on a full tank.  Put in half as much fuel or even a third or a quarter as much.  A one minute flight is a long time when you are starting out.  After a few successes, increase the fuel load enough to give you, say, 2 minute flights.  Work your way up to a full tank.  I am currently flying a plane that I have never filled the tank.  Five minute flights are all I need these days to have fun.

Make your flying lines as long as you can while still having control.  The longer the lines, the slower you spin around.

Slow your engine down by running it a little richer.  Not so slow that you lose control but slower.  The slower you spin, the less likely you are to get dizzy.

Mostly, practice.  The more you and that eight year old fly, the more accustomed you will become to the turning and the less it will bother you.

Don't forget to post a note one of these days with your progress.  We have all been there.  Post a picture.  I love watching youngins fly!!!

Bill Marvel
Bill Marvel, AMA 793835
Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis

Welcome to Stunt Hangar

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 11:19:59 AM »
hold your left/right (the one you fly with)hand in front of you thumb up---focus on thumb--spin in circle(faster than airplane flies) until you fall down-- n~ n~
get up as soon as you can and do it agin.do it for and hour or 2 until you dont get dizzy.
now do same but also look at other stuff---not just thumb

this is how i did it 40+ plus years ago and to this day have never been dizzy flying airplanes #^

if i spin as fast as i can the dizzy will hit(no airplane)
probably 2x as fast as old fast rat racers--nothin modern should spin you that fast except for .15 speed or jet speed.(jet stunt? x:)

remember praticing this to only fly your thumb--no airplane!

the other cure is to never fly level!fly laying or sitting down so you cant turn **)

David

David Roland

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 08:41:08 AM »
Years ago I remember Byron Meriwether telling someone to tie a bean bag to a peice of twine about 10 feet long.  Then swing it around and around until you get over dizziness.  Also don't forget when you start flying inverted the dizzys will come back.  I know form experience.  Later,  DOC Holliday

PS:As we get older I think the dizzys start coming back.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Andy Whitam

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 01:48:09 PM »
1/2A is the worst..not as bad with larger motors, longer lines, but the way I keep from getting dizzy is lots of loops and lazy eights. Works every time.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here