News:

• May 24, 2024, 06:02:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EZE Dope...water based...  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
EZE Dope...water based...
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:20:29 PM »
Has anybody tried this stuff yet? It's water based, works a bit like clear dope, maybe a bit like Polycrylic? I have not seen any claims that it is fuel resistant, but does claim to be compatible with most other paints for color and topcoating it. I think it would be viable for base finish on sport models, but it's not cheap, except for the "reducer", which is H20...probably distilled would be best bet. Some of you who can't abide the stink of dope thinner in the house might jump on it and give it a try? TEST PANELS WOULD BE PRUDENT!  y1 Steve

https://www.horizonhobby.com/cars-and-trucks/glues-and-adhesives/eze-dope--tissue-shrink--250ml-dlmbd42 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
Re: EZE Dope...water based...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:55:48 PM »
G'day Steve

I haven't used Eze Dope but I have used a couple of the other products—very good. Some of my fellow club members have used it and have reported favourably.

You could have a look at Deluxe Materials' web site—https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/en/

Also, RCM&E—the English radio modelling mag—and Aeromodeller have run features on using various Deluxe products.

If you know somebody who subscribes to either or both, they may be able to help

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 04:57:26 AM »
I use EZE-Kote all the time.  Cures fast and easy to sand.
Jim Vigani

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 06:10:30 AM »
Hi, Jim.
Will it shrink silkspan?
Bob Z.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 09:16:39 AM »
I was not familiar with either the EZE Dope or Kote....seems like they get pretty good "on line" reviews. I'm going to have to get some and do some experimentation. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:10:50 AM »
I'd bet money that it's just high gloss polycrylic marketed for models.

Me too.

Ara

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 10:18:52 AM »
Bob:

EZE-Kote is a water based resin and I don't think it would be any good for shrinking silkspan.  It's similar to Minwax polycrylic but better, and easier to use in my opinion.  Cures way faster.  I often use it to fill CF veil on wood surfaces.  I believe the EZE-Dope does shrink tissue.
Jim Vigani

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »
Eze-kote smells different and has a different viscosity than both minwax polycrylic and rustoleum ultimate water based polyurethane.  The curious cheapskate inside of me wishes that the bulk source for the eze-kote could be identified, as it is a useful product.  It dries very fast and seems to be fairly high solids based upon how it sands.  It works well.  The low odor also works well for sensitive people.  Just a totally different way of going about things from the norm.

All of these alternative products will have a learning curve to produce the desired results.  It's difficult for expert finishers to gamble with new products when finishing a big, complex, stunt ship.  No one wants to be first and risk a poor outcome when traditional methods produce known and trusted results.

There have been advocates of wbpu in the finishing process.  Bradley Walker posted his articles on using SLC film, silkspan and polycrylic for the base and fill coats.  Good info, and he achieved some very nice, light finishes this way.

Here are some videos to watch:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 01:17:57 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 04:18:21 PM »
Oh! That stuff. I've used the little bottle, in Brent's pics, the top one. I didn't recognize the name, but that pic reminded me. Yes I use it. I got it at hobby town usa here in Vegas. I use it on little free flight and gliders. I've never used enough to think about the price of the little bottle being expensive. But I like it.

Online katana

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
As a returnee builder after some 40 odd years - everything has changed, and having never used lt.wt. glass cloth before I needed an epoxy but not thick stuff, also wanted a fuel proofer which the epoxy would be, then came across EZE Dope - seemed to do tick everything I wanted and used it this morning for 1st time. WOW is all I can say - it brushes out real nice, goes great with glass cloth, dries fairly quickly and NO smell - the one thing I do remember from those years ago - getting high as a kite, using cellulose dope in my bedroom.......cos kids do that sort of thing!
So, I like it so far - got some wing root / fuselage junctions to glass later - the prospect doesn't worry me now!
Aaaaand - its water based so there is minimal / easy clean up - BONUS!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here