News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:54:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P-47 thunderbolts and Roberts Jug  (Read 4659 times)

Kirm Dog

• Trade Count: (0)
P-47 thunderbolts and Roberts Jug
« on: February 10, 2006, 08:13:11 AM »
I'm in the process of building a P-47 from plans by Charles Parott (spelling). This move was sparked by knowing a WWII pilot that flew these great planes and seeing Roberts Jug from last year. In looking for plans for these planes it was apparent that there aren't many although they seem to be popular, but not built. Is there a reason for this? Robert, I thougth I read in a thead on SSW that you had some trim issues with your Jug and thought that it might be because of the large frontal area of the fusalage. Might this be the reason as to so few Jugs showing up on the conest lines? I would think that Al's Bearcat would have problems also if this was true.  Just wondering what I can expect from this plane and if the guys that have built them might know of any peculiarities that this design might have.

BTW Robert, every chance I get I check out the pictures of your Jug and they are something to behold. I have never seen them in person but can imagine that they look even better in person. Is this your own design or did you build them from somebody elses plans?

Kirm Dog

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: P-47 thunderbolts and Roberts Jug
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 08:21:02 AM »
That airplane is a exact copy of Billys plane. So I did not design it, I wish I did!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 11:33:54 PM by RC Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 11:43:19 AM »
 Robert, what is the approximate Wing area on that  P-47?
  Just curious.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 08:56:18 PM »
Robert, what is the approximate Wing area on that  P-47?
  Just curious.

Bigiron

Not Robert, but Mr. Werwage has quoted that it's near 700 sq. in. for the geo Bolt wing.  I've built a couple, but will have to measure them!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 08:59:05 PM »
Not Robert, but Mr. Werwage has quoted that it's near 700 sq. in. for the geo Bolt wing.  I've built a couple, but will have to measure them!

I did not quote the wing area. I just built it to the drawings I had at hand.
AMA 12366

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 08:07:04 AM »
  Thanks guys.  If it is anywhere near the 700 sq in range, I can't use it for what I intended.  I guess I could shrink it, but am too tired to try.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Jim P

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 10:38:20 AM »
Well known model purchaser Mike Finnigan of Oklahoma City was living in Memphis at one time many years ago and says he purchased one of Jim Lynch's P 47 models which he was very impressed with until he hit his toolbox on landing. This according to Finnigan. If Jim Lynch checks in he might recall this episode.
Please repair all divots

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 07:03:59 AM »
I'm in the process of building a P-47 from plans by Charles Parott (spelling). This move was sparked by knowing a WWII pilot that flew these great planes and seeing Roberts Jug from last year. In looking for plans for these planes it was apparent that there aren't many although they seem to be popular, but not built. Is there a reason for this? Robert, I thougth I read in a thead on SSW that you had some trim issues with your Jug and thought that it might be because of the large frontal area of the fusalage. Might this be the reason as to so few Jugs showing up on the conest lines? I would think that Al's Bearcat would have problems also if this was true.  Just wondering what I can expect from this plane and if the guys that have built them might know of any peculiarities that this design might have.

BTW Robert, every chance I get I check out the pictures of your Jug and they are something to behold. I have never seen them in person but can imagine that they look even better in person. Is this your own design or did you build them from somebody elses plans?

Kirm Dog

KD,

I have a Parrott P-47 that I recently refinished, lightened and re-engined.   I built it about 12-13 years ago, and first flew it with a Fox 35.  Now it has a McCoy 40!

I found it to be quite a good flying ship.  Even better now.  I am in the trimming stages now.  It was tail heavy the first time around so be careful there. 

I think you will enjoy it!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Kirm Dog

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 08:31:39 AM »
Hi Bill

I have my plane at 35 ounces right now with all the acceseries on and no finnish. I have made some changes like, bellcrank done like Al Rabe, molded top and bottom of fusalage, carved wing tips, adjustable leadouts and I have sheeted all of the tail feathers and the wing.  With the Mag 36 I thought that I would be nose heavy but checking it last night showed that it is almost perfect. I put an access panel on the inboard side of the fusalage under the horizontal stablizer for adjustments to the elevator and have also made the bottom of the fusalage under this removable so that I can change the tail wheel wire or add weight if need be. I think that the Parrott P-47 was in the 44-45 ounce range and I think I can beat that by a few ounces but we'll see. This plane has been a test bed for doing all the things that I have never done in modeling. Most things took a lot of head scratching but I think I've got them figured out. I'm sure the plane will fly better that I'm capable of.

As for now I'm going to have it silver in color. I just wish that I had plans for a bigger size P-47. This one is nice but if I knew were to get Bills plans for his P-47 I would build that one also.

Kirm Dog

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 10:36:53 PM »
Hi Bill

I have my plane at 35 ounces right now with all the acceseries on and no finnish. I have made some changes like, bellcrank done like Al Rabe, molded top and bottom of fusalage, carved wing tips, adjustable leadouts and I have sheeted all of the tail feathers and the wing.  With the Mag 36 I thought that I would be nose heavy but checking it last night showed that it is almost perfect. I put an access panel on the inboard side of the fusalage under the horizontal stablizer for adjustments to the elevator and have also made the bottom of the fusalage under this removable so that I can change the tail wheel wire or add weight if need be. I think that the Parrott P-47 was in the 44-45 ounce range and I think I can beat that by a few ounces but we'll see. This plane has been a test bed for doing all the things that I have never done in modeling. Most things took a lot of head scratching but I think I've got them figured out. I'm sure the plane will fly better that I'm capable of.

As for now I'm going to have it silver in color. I just wish that I had plans for a bigger size P-47. This one is nice but if I knew were to get Bills plans for his P-47 I would build that one also.

Kirm Dog

Billy's P-47 is supposed to be slated for publication.  Hopefully this year!  let's keep our fingers crossed, I have a wing already built. :)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here