News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OT: Bruce Brown Passes Away  (Read 945 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OT: Bruce Brown Passes Away
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:11:44 PM »
http://enduro21.com/index.php/usa/2882-on-any-sunday-film-maker-bruce-brown-dies

Many of you, like me, have and still do participated in the sport of off road motorcycle riding and racing. Bruce Brown made what could arguably be the best documentary movie of ANY kind when he made "On Any Sunday" in the late 60's and early 70's. Many believe he was responsible for igniting the dirt bike craze that soon swept the country and continues today. I saw it as a teenager, and have a VHS copy autographed by Malcolm Smith and Dick "Bugsy" Mann, two of the racing stars high lighted in the movie. He also made an great documentary movie about Surfing, "Endless Summer", that helped do the same for the sport of surfing.  He was a the first to use some ground breaking techniques on a limited budget to make both movies, and helped show a side of Steve McQueen that many did not know about!
   God Speed Bruce Brown,
  Dan McEntee 
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
Re: OT: Bruce Brown Passes Away
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
Ride on Bruce.

That movie was pivotal to my enjoyment of off-roading.

I still watch it about once a year, and still enjoy it.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:25:18 AM »
Bruce was truly a Genius behind a camera or with a script for Documentaries.

The world is at least a little better place because of him and his genius!

Keep riding and filming wherever you may be Bruce...

I was a Pro rider during most of this time and the notoriety given to the sport by Bruce and his films was absolutely miraculous.  More races came about and professional purses grew beyond anyone's expectations.  The sport improved exponentially during that time and many riders became icons of the motorcycling world, mostly due to the popularity of Bruce's productions and the attention they brought to both professional and amateur sport riding!

Thanks, Mr. Brown
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 03:26:58 AM »
             The documentary " On Any Sunday" was a favorite of mine. I watched it several times growing up and I would catch it on the public television station now and then in Philadelphia. He really knew how to capture the things that make the sport of cycling enjoyable. I believe Bruce may have been responsible for a documentary on surfing as well. It caught my eye one evening and I could draw similarities but I never researched who wrote it. Ken

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 07:59:14 AM »
"Endless Summer" was the surfing documentary by Bruce.
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here