News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:23:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS 25 LA-S , BRODAK 25 or ENYA 25 SS?  (Read 10976 times)

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
OS 25 LA-S , BRODAK 25 or ENYA 25 SS?
« on: March 17, 2021, 12:07:16 PM »
Hello guys,
I have a chance to buy any of these engines (all NIB)...
Which one would you choose for a Ringmaster or any similar model?

Later,
Claudio.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: OS 25 LA-S , BRODAK 25 or ENYA 25 SS?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 12:23:19 PM »
Hello guys,
I have a chance to buy any of these engines (all NIB)...
Which one would you choose for a Ringmaster or any similar model?

Ringmaster - maybe the Brodak. The 25FP is *far too powerful*, and probably the Enya (although I have only seen one of them) too.

Brett

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 12:57:43 PM »
I think Brett mis-read your post the la-25 is fine for a ringmaster, he's right FP-25 is too much.

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 01:25:14 PM »
The OS

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 02:16:28 PM »
The LA 25.

My Ringmaster is powered by a Thunder Tiger GP 25 with an LA 25 piston and liner in it.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 02:42:54 PM »
I think Brett mis-read your post the la-25 is fine for a ringmaster, he's right FP-25 is too much.

Still too much!  You have to back it off way too much to keep it subsonic with any commonly-available prop.

Brett

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 03:23:15 PM »
The Enya SS25 is far superior in quality, durability, power and it is lighter! And it is a cooler looking engine too ;D

The Enya SS25 has a high quality Steel Alloy P/L with a perfect fit! It starts easily Hot or Cold. Here in Brazil they created a C/L Speed event  and a friend using an Enya SS25 beat the others flying OS 25FPs by a very very large margin.

I use the Enya SS30 in my RingMaster and many friends have used the SS25, there is no problem with too much power  n1, quite the contrary for those that can fly a good pattern like you!

You can set up the Enya SS25 to use any Prop from 9 to 10.5" with 4 to 5 pitch and get the performance you want for your R.M. 

The Enya SS25 is a bit heavier than a 25FP/LA, but when you add the stock muffler the Enya SS25 is the Lighter choice.

The R.M has terrible airfoil which will stall easily. Using the power of the Enya SS30  I can use longer lines, 18.5m, and fly faster with no speed loss during the squares to avoid a stall.

I like to fly the RM as fast as I feel comfortable and to me 4.3s laps is no problem as long as there is superb speed control, like you can see in this video.  I can setup my Enya to fly fast or slow as I want. I chose to fly fast here

Martin
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 03:46:40 PM by Martin Quartim »
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 03:36:21 PM »
FP-25 can be used if you neuter the performance with .235" venturi.  That's been an effective method for several guys here in Utah.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 04:03:36 PM »
I have an LA 25 on my Ringmaster and it's a great combo after I tamed it down a bit. The Brodak 25 is less power and requires a special break in but would be an excellent engine after that. The Enya is a well made ball bearing engine and would probably have the most "cool factor". You really can't go wrong.

Motorman 8)

there is quite a few different versions of the Enya SS25, the most popular for CL is plain bearing one, like OS FP and LAs

There is the
Enya SS25  AAC Al-Chro 2 BB 
Enya SS25EX ABC  with 2BB or Plain B.
Enya SS25 Iron with 2BB or Plain B.
Enya SS25 Diesel  with 2BB or Plain B

Martin

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 05:13:49 PM »
FP-25 can be used if you neuter the performance with .235" venturi.  That's been an effective method for several guys here in Utah.

Right, you have to do something like that, because even with 4" of pitch, a medium 2 is WAY too fast. I would guess that would be in the range of 3.2-3.5 seconds a lap, and if you have to needle it down, it won't draw fuel.

Brett

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 05:34:59 PM »
there is quite a few different versions of the Enya SS25, the most popular for CL is plain bearing one, like OS FP and LAs

There is the
Enya SS25  AAC Al-Chro 2 BB 
Enya SS25EX ABC  with 2BB or Plain B.
Enya SS25 Iron with 2BB or Plain B.
Enya SS25 Diesel  with 2BB or Plain B

Martin

Hi Martin,
This is the Enya engine I'm talking about (can't identify which one of the listed ones is...)

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 06:28:38 PM »
Hi Martin,
This is the Enya engine I'm talking about (can't identify which one of the listed ones is...)

Hi Claudio,

This one is the SS25 Iron with plain bearing.

I have many years of experience with this engine and tested many tanks and props with a Ringmaster, I think I have a good starting point to recommend you to try.

If do get this engine let me know and I will send you specific break in instructions that you must follow if you want this engine to really perform well!

I found out that these Enyas have to be treated a bit differently than what most people are used to. The two biggest mistake I see people doing is  is not doing the proper break in and under estimate the power it can deliver.

Cheers,

Martin

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 07:08:56 PM »
The best Ringmaster flier in the world uses a Brodak 25 on the best Ringmaster ever flown.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 07:48:56 PM »
The best Ringmaster flier in the world uses a Brodak 25 on the best Ringmaster ever flown.

Yeah, Joe Gilbert!  An amazing 600 points @ VSC 2019 Classic.

Martin

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 08:41:21 PM »
I have an LA 25 on my Ringmaster and it's a great combo after I tamed it down a bit.

That's the problem - most people wouldn't know how to properly "tame it down" and the mere idea that you have to do something to modify it starts the downward spiral.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 09:14:57 PM »
Buy all three,  then tell us what you think.   Your stimulis package should cover it. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 06:03:52 AM »
I vote with the Doc. I have had and enjoyed all of these motors. Get em while you can!  Use less fuel than the big blocks too!  TS

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 07:14:27 AM »
OK I have and do own all three of these engines .

First the LA .25 , the plug and play .25 . Very consistent, user friendly good power . We used them for speed limit combat and sport race . If you could get a season out of one flying combat before the liner pealed you were lucky. As I stated very user friendly. If you can’t make one of these run consistently take up electric.

Brodak.25 , the most miss understood engine of the group . Very light ,AAC construction. ! The engine with the most untapped potential. We tried them for speed limit combat with inconsistent results until we found a little secret. Actually two , first they took a lot of running before being really broke in and secondly more nitro (15%) and no castor oil . They now needle well and hold it for the entire match .  Never let anyone try to tell you that a LA .25 makes more power than a Brodak .25 .

Then the biggest surprise was when I reconverted a Brodak .25 combat engine for running on a Ringmaster for the annual fun fly . Putting the smallest intake and a 9x4 APC prop on the engine it ran perfect. Very consistent. Being broke in really helps .

The Enya SS .25, mostly unknown to many in these parts . Built like  a tank ,lots of power  ,I like Enyas. People give me old Enyas because I run them and they don’t. The SS .25 and .30 are modern and much easier to use than the older Enyas but they still need a bit of running in . Probably the most powerful of the 25’s they will turn a 10x4 APC on a Ringmaster for a very nice stunt run . The heaviest of the 25’s - but a tongue muffler from a LA .46 fits . Last fall I was lucky enough to get my hands on an AAC Enya .25 . By far the most powerful stock .25 I have ever run .

Brad LaPointe

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 08:14:30 AM »
  My experience with the Brodak .25 was quite different. I had used the Brodak.40 on several models with good success, so picked up a couple of the .25s when they were introduced. I took one and did the instructed break in to the engine and all seemed OK, then installed it on a Ringmaster that I had been using an LA.25 on for comparison. The B-.25 didn't seem t have enough power to pull my hat off my head. I was using the same SIG 10% fuel I used in everything else, Glow Devil R/C long plug, APC 10-4  prop, and the stock muffler. The engine seemed to run just fine, and needled where ever I wanted it to go. I dropped down in prop size to 9-4 and 9-5 but that had no affect. I mentioned it here on the forums and then was contacted by Tom Hampshire and he asked me to send him the engine complete with muffler. I got it back a few weeks later and the only thing he did was to modify the muffler for a bigger, straight out the end exhaust exit, an that made all the difference. I had marked up the engine and it's parts before sending it to him and I know nothing else was changed. The B.40 and B.25 use the same muffler, so I decided to try the new muffler on the .40 and it turned into a wild stallion! It unloaded the back pressure on the engine enough that the break in maneuvers made it almost uncontrollable. I put the old muffler back on and right back to it's old self. I stuck with the LA .25 on the Ringmaster but may have to pull the B-.25 back out and revisit it some time with less oil in the mix. The other one I have is still new in box.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 09:22:23 AM »
Well, well, well...
It seems that I'll have to buy all three of them, as Mr. Holliday suggested!  <=

I want to thank to each and everyone of you guys for your advice and help.

See ya soon!  H^^

Claudio.

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 10:07:39 AM »

Yeah, Joe Gilbert!  An amazing 600 points @ VSC 2019 Classic.

Martin

WOW! 600 points!  :o
Are there any videos of this flight???

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 02:41:11 PM »
I use the 25LA in my Ringmaster. It’s perfect. Runs like clockwork every time.
NZL7396

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2021, 07:57:37 AM »
Does that Ringmaster have polywog airfoil? Doesn't look like it in the picture.

Motorman 8)

Well, you know that you are looking at the edge of the ribs in the way he's holding the model, not the profile, don't you??

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 09:18:00 AM »
Is that one of the current clone "Ringmasters" that has the "improved" airfoil...or is it the real deal?
Bill P.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 10:52:46 AM »
I can see the center planking and the wing tips and they look pretty straight.

Motorman 8)

And you are still looking at it from the wrong angle to be able to see the profile. With a photo taken at that distance, I guarantee that your depth perception isn't that good, unless you are just flat out accusing Joe of cheating??
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 11:22:45 AM »
     And you are still looking at it from the wrong angle to be able to see the profile. With a photo taken at that distance, I guarantee that your depth perception isn't that good, unless you are just flat out accusing Joe of cheating??

I guess it is the ultimate indicator of success when you are so good people assume you are cheating, since they can't imagine that is it possible otherwise. Even when you tell them (in this case, in about 50 separate threads on the topic) exactly what to do and how to do it.

Brett

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2021, 11:33:45 AM »
I''d go Enya 25SS unless you crash a lot.  Any parts such as a head will probably take longer from Japan.  Buy a few common spared with the engine, at least a venturi and needle valve.
2nd choice   LA 25-S or the RC version plus a needle valve of your choice.  Needs to be .35mm thread.  Parts are available.  The last of the LA 25's were built in Japan and are very good.  Same as Enya for parts, but include a backplate unless it has  metal one.  Some do.  The FP 20-25 backplate fits.
3rd choice    Fox 35  parts an workmanship can take a LOT of fiddling if it doesn't start and run well once you've oiled it up and flip it 100 times.  If that frees it up a bit and the piston or baffle don't hit the head go ahead an try to run it.  Very brief, rich runs, at least 3-4 1-2min.  just to get it running.  If nothing seems odd go ahead with short runs.  Let it cool in between for faster results.  If it sounds "smooth" and will track the needle valve lean it out briefly and back off.  If it does anything  but follow the needle valve it has problems- still tight piston liner,  tight main bearing, gasket leaks, case cracks,  plus who knows what.
phil Cartier

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2021, 12:03:58 PM »
Is that one of the current clone "Ringmasters" that has the "improved" airfoil...or is it the real deal?

IMPROVED airfoil?
I would LOVE to know more about that...

Can you please explain, Bill?

Thank you!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2021, 12:17:47 PM »
Haven't you guys heard the phrase: "No wonder he wins all the time, he cheats more than I do".  Joe deserves the credit for his accomplishments as he flies all the time and keeps trying to improve.  I don't remember my first Ringmaster, built in the late 50's having a poly-wog airfoil, or if nit did I did not glue the covering to the ribs. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2021, 02:36:56 PM »
IMPROVED airfoil?
I would LOVE to know more about that...

Can you please explain, Bill?

Thank you!

One of the vendors here sells a thicker wing Ringmaster.

For those who are making negative assumptions out of anyone asking questions about the Ringmaster...I'm just curious about what people are flying.  It has nothing to do with anyone cheating or any other personal attack. Thank you.   
Bill P.

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2021, 02:45:22 PM »

For those who are making negative assumptions out of anyone asking questions about the Ringmaster...I'm just curious about what people are flying.  It has nothing to do with anyone cheating or any other personal attack. Thank you.

I didn't know that!
Are there any plans arround?

Thank you for you reply.

Later,
Claudio.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2021, 03:07:40 PM »

Well it is well known that one or both of the 'Pat" designers, (Pat King and/or Pat Johnson?? ) sells "alternative" and look alike Ringmaster kits of several sizes, but I think only an idiot would try to enter one of those in any OTS or Classic contest. Those models are for fun or competition and for nostalgic reasons. The one Joe is holding is an S-1 Ringmaster, the legal OTS version. Joe is one of the guys that can get 500 points out of flying the box the kit came in! And his standing in the stunt community is without question I think. I have only met Joe a time or two and do not speak for him, but his reputation precedes him. There are "enhanced" S-! Ringmaster kits out there also, for extra lightness and such, but I don't believe any of those has ever been questioned as to whether or not the air foil is anything other than a replica of the kit profile and the rest of the critical dimensions that keep it legal are retained also. I have some of those kits and I checked them.
    Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee.

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2021, 03:02:32 PM »
    Well it is well known that one or both of the 'Pat" designers, (Pat King and/or Pat Johnson?? ) sells "alternative" and look alike Ringmaster kits of several sizes, but I think only an idiot would try to enter one of those in any OTS or Classic contest. Those models are for fun or competition and for nostalgic reasons. The one Joe is holding is an S-1 Ringmaster, the legal OTS version. Joe is one of the guys that can get 500 points out of flying the box the kit came in! And his standing in the stunt community is without question I think. I have only met Joe a time or two and do not speak for him, but his reputation precedes him. There are "enhanced" S-! Ringmaster kits out there also, for extra lightness and such, but I don't believe any of those has ever been questioned as to whether or not the air foil is anything other than a replica of the kit profile and the rest of the critical dimensions that keep it legal are retained also. I have some of those kits and I checked them.
    Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee.

Chill out Dan. You're reading way too much into questions. 
Bill P.

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2021, 06:47:40 PM »
Be careful about buying a B-25. A few years back there were a number of them NIB with poor P&L fittings (ask me how I know).

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2021, 09:10:20 PM »
Chill out Dan. You're reading way too much into questions.

I thought I was just answering your question, and I expounded on it a little bit for the uninitiated.  If you are familiar with the event, then you know VSC is one of the biggest and most prestigious contests in the country and the description to the picture calls out 2019 VSC Classic. And you also know that the Classic eligibility deadline is December 31st, 1969. Then, you should also be aware that there were no "clone" Ringmaster kits in that time period, and that Sterling was still producing the S-1 Ringmaster kit, and that in addition to being OTS legal, it is also legal for Classic competition. So, to be legal for Classic it couldn't be a model built from anything other than a kit or plan authentic to the original Sterling S-1 Ringmaster.

So, if what you wanted to know was what kit or plan he built his model from, that is what you should have asked.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2021, 06:49:36 AM »
I didn't know that!
Are there any plans arround?

Thank you for you reply.

Later,
Claudio.

I don't remember who sells those plans but you should be able to find them.
Bill P.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2021, 09:50:17 AM »
You didn't answer anything except I have bad eye sight and it's legal by reputation. You say they're up tight about rules at VHS I'll believe it. Just asking a question, you guys really pick up the ball and run with it.

I answered Bill's question.  Show me where I said any of this? I never said you have bad eye sight, I said you couldn't tell if it was a polywog airfoil from the angle the photo was taken and at that distance and your depth perception and the camera depth of field isn't that good. I said Joe has a good reputation in the stunt community, not his model, and that he would not present a model that was not legal for competition at VSC. When you are flying against 60 to 80 people in a class and some of them are the top flyers in the country, would you put down a model that wasn't up to the standard!  Have you ever been to VSC? The contest is run by PAMPA rules and basically the honor system. No one runs around with a rule book and a tape measure checking airplanes. Everyone there is pretty knowledgeable about the model designs and their history so no need for that. You see a wide selection of Jamison Specials, Humungous (Humungi???) and Ringmasters and a few models from guys who, in the spirit of the event, purposely search out odd ball or unique designs that are rarely or never seen, not just because it has a fat airfoil and may help their score a bit.

The way you asked the question about the polywog airfoil prompted me to "run with it."  Do you know why the original Sterling Ringmaster had the polywog airfoil? Do you honestly think that the covering on a polywog airfoiled wing stays attached to the ribs forever?  Do you really think that a fraction of an inch more balsa on the ribs in that wing in that airframe would make a real difference in getting 200 more points in a Classic pattern score?   I know it wouldn't, but if you take that same polywog airfoil, put it in a wing and in a model that is expertly built straight, expertly balanced, trimmed properly for flight, and powered by an expertly set up power plant, and then practiced with relentlessly, yes, that will get you the extra 200 points !! And I'll bet that if you and Joe were to swap models, and then fly a contest , I would wager that he would still clean your clock !!

If you want a thick wing Ringmaster, just find a Ringmaster S-1A kit, that has a different ( notice I didn't say "better") airfoil and a D-tube wing. Sterling came out with this kit much later on. When Sterling was sold to Estes they later called it the "Super Stuntin' Ringmaster" I think. The wing may be the same as the wing in their profile Hellcat kit. I'm not sure what the time frame was but it may have been too late for even Super 70's Class. I have seen them fly before but I don't think they fly any better than the original, and are definitely heavier due to the extra balsa in the wing. But that kit, plus the other variations and sizes of the Ringmaster that the other cottage kit makers put out still have the flavor of the original  and that is what most people are looking for, and some better flying characteristics come with that. I have a few of those in my kit stash also.

But the point of this all is, just a slight change in the airfoil of a Ringmaster won't get you a 600 point capable airplane !!

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2021, 02:15:52 PM »
And that is why we have the Brotherhood of the Ringmaster Forum.  Many variations on the original S-1 Ringmaster. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2021, 02:56:47 PM »
You say they're up tight about rules at VHS I'll believe it. Just asking a question, you guys really pick up the ball and run with it.

VSC.

In any case, they aren't "uptight about rules" at VSC, any more than anywhere else. No one is "uptight about rules" at any contest I go to. It's that *no one is showing up trying to cheat*, Joe least of all, so there is no need to be uptight or treat it like it was tech inspection at a NASCAR race.

What triggers the reaction is that these sort of comments indicate absolutely no understanding about how model airplane people think, or what the atmosphere might be at a contest, which is odd, since you apparently have been to a few. We are also somewhat sensitive after having the event nearly destroyed on several occasions by ridiculous accusations of cheating and the side effect of it,  to the point of having to call the FBI.

My previous advice stands, go to contests, interact with people, get a feel for the culture and environment, and you will see it pretty quickly.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2021, 05:49:45 PM »

No need to get uptight ! .

;D

LL~

Here they get out the plan & a ruler . Id think It'd be worth building everything ( on one ship ) 1/8 or 1/4 inch out , and videoing the guys face  measuring it up . ;D ;) :-X

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2021, 06:04:29 PM »
Here they get out the plan & a ruler .

Fun bunch!

Brett

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2021, 10:52:19 PM »
I just scored a NIB Veco .19 BB.  I recall someone here has experience with that combo in the RM?

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2021, 11:20:42 PM »
I just scored a NIB Veco .19 BB.  I recall someone here has experience with that combo in the RM?

Very fast - 4.2 seconds/lap with a 9-4.

Brett

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2021, 05:57:24 AM »
I really like the OS 25FX for ringmaster size models.

Offline Alexey Gorbunov

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2021, 08:52:03 AM »
I really like the OS 25FX for ringmaster size models.
I think is too heavy and so strong for Ringmaster.

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2021, 06:20:20 PM »
I had a Veco 19 on my Ringmaster with a 9-4 mas and an ASP muffler drilled out in the back. Plenty of power on 10% nitro but I'm an engine builder that can re-fit the piston. What I suggest is to get it running on the stand before you commit to building something for it as some sleeves were tight at the bottom and loose at the top. If it has a good piston fit and good bearings the Veco 19 is a joy.

Motorman 8)
I should qualify I don't have a vintage Veco .19 BB - it is the MECOA RJL copy of the original.  I don't know how they compare to manufacturing tolerances 45 years ago.

May also be a while before I can fire it up.  Proper CL fuel is pretty scarce these days.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2021, 06:33:16 PM »
" May also be a while before I can fire it up.  Proper CL fuel is pretty scarce these days. "

Can take a few litres of 30 % oil , before they free off & hold power .

Originally came with a combat & a stunt intake .

When well run in , theyll take 20 % nitro & a 8X6 , for a hot ton plus olde pommy / NZ 3.5 c.c. max Combat job. Beat flogging a racing .15 for the ton .

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2021, 08:37:58 AM »
fP25s and LA25s can be had cheap at swaps. If and when we have them anymore. Any of those should work. I've run FP25s and LA25s on lots of Flite Streaks. Similar sized plane. I've also run FP40s and Tower40s on Streaks, Busters. They are hot. Twenty fives are not. No personal experience with the Brodak 25. I've seen them do well in Foxberg at Brodak. Which means they can honk.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2021, 09:10:40 AM »
Just realized many still use stock mufflers. La25s with stock mufflers can be tame pussycats. That's ok. Our club uses tongue mufflers on just about everything. Including LA25s, FP25s. Let the little boys sing. Ringmasters need to be flown a bit fast anyway. Thin airfoil. Unless you build one real lite. Ringmasters often outperform their specs. Or let's say, I have seen them outperform their old time design. One I flew was so easily directed through the pattern that it was confidence inspiring. Point and do a square, inside or out, or an eight. How that happened beyond me. Powered by a FOX 35. Ringmasters are Sport Planes, ordinarily. Which means some will fly fast, some will fly real fast. Any of those engines should work. If yours is 30 plus ounces, you might have to keep the speed up. I'd start with 58' eyelet to eyelet. Ringmasters are fun, nostalgia, old time legal designs. Don't know exactly why, but they usually fly better than the Sterling Yaks and the like. 

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2021, 01:17:42 AM »
This weekend, interestingly enough, I saw a Brodak Ringmaster (far as I know classic shape, therefore Old Time qualifying) fly with no muss or fuss powered by an FP25 with Lee venturi and tongue muffler. Docile speed. Sometime I'll measure the Lee venturi. A supertigre needle also helps. Adjustment much finer than an OS clicker.

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2021, 05:00:35 PM »
Claudio.  Pat Johnston here.  I did the design on the "Ringmaster +P".  It is dimensionally the same as the S-1 except for the airfoil.  That is the "+P" airfoil.  The result iss that the flying characteristics are dramatically improved.  It is by no means legal for OTS. That said, it is a blast for those wanting a Ringmaster which will handle Square and Triangle corners without that nasty stalling problem so common on stock S-1's.
Pat Johnston
Advanced Design Studios
Skunk Works

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2021, 09:14:00 AM »
Claudio.  Pat Johnston here.  I did the design on the "Ringmaster +P".  It is dimensionally the same as the S-1 except for the airfoil.  That is the "+P" airfoil.  The result iss that the flying characteristics are dramatically improved.  It is by no means legal for OTS. That said, it is a blast for those wanting a Ringmaster which will handle Square and Triangle corners without that nasty stalling problem so common on stock S-1's.
Pat Johnston
Advanced Design Studios
Skunk Works

Hello Pat! Thank you for jumping in!
Thatīs exactly what I was looking for, a Ringmaster capable of performing a decent pattern, not to win any contests, just for the fun of flying a "correct"
pattern with a classic.
I have now two engines to choose from (recently purchased, NIB) for the S-1 +P : an OS 25LA-S or a ENYA 25 SS-S...but some of the guys here told me that it might be too much power for the S-1...what's your opinion?

Another option I am considering is the FLAPPED RM-526 (which I just LOVE), but in this case, we may have the oposite situation: lack of power for any of the mentioned engines. What do you say? A friend of mine told me that the ENYA 25 SS can be a good choice for the 526, as it has more power than the OS. Have you seen flying a 526 with any .25 engine?

Later,
Claudio.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2021, 11:55:07 AM »
As a few of will attest you can not have too much power.   I am flying the Ringmaster twin that was designed for 2 .15's with 2 .25's.   Props are MA 9 X 6.  Many ways to control the extra power on a plane. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2021, 02:35:55 PM »
As a few of will attest you can not have too much power.   I am flying the Ringmaster twin that was designed for 2 .15's with 2 .25's.   Props are MA 9 X 6.  Many ways to control the extra power on a plane. D>K
And ALWAYS better to have more than enough and need to tame it than never enough no matter what you do.  The engines tend to last very much longer too when you don't have to run them so hard and hot. 
Of these choices of engine I'd go with the Enya.  Never been excited about the OS, though we had success with the FP 40's on large profiles-now use Enya .45s and had several problems with the only Brodak we've had-a .15 for one of my grandsons.  Started out with the sleeve installed 180 backwards from the factory and then just very difficult to start.  Gave up and went Enya there as well.  I know one's experience will vary.
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2021, 03:41:28 PM »
                I started a Sterling S-1 just prior to this thread. I currently have a Brian Gardner Fox .35 on the S-1 and I gave the plane away. I then started a new S-1 which due to the cold put the brakes on doping it until the past two weekends. I drilled the nose for the Fox .35 but I also chose the Enya SS .25 BB iron piston. The Enya has a different length case so I was able to use the one set of holes from the Fox for the Enya. The spacing width is amazingly close between both engines. I'm looking forward to using this Enya 25 SS and I was quite surprised to see it mentioned. It's a wonderfully built engine. To date, all clear coats are on the plane and I can now do the iron on covering. I hope to be flying this plane soon.

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2021, 04:40:16 PM »
                I started a Sterling S-1 just prior to this thread. I currently have a Brian Gardner Fox .35 on the S-1 and I gave the plane away. I then started a new S-1 which due to the cold put the brakes on doping it until the past two weekends. I drilled the nose for the Fox .35 but I also chose the Enya SS .25 BB iron piston. The Enya has a different length case so I was able to use the one set of holes from the Fox for the Enya. The spacing width is amazingly close between both engines. I'm looking forward to using this Enya 25 SS and I was quite surprised to see it mentioned. It's a wonderfully built engine. To date, all clear coats are on the plane and I can now do the iron on covering. I hope to be flying this plane soon.

Great! Post some pics Kenneth!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2021, 06:24:39 PM »
                New Ringmaster

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2021, 09:19:51 AM »
                New Ringmaster

Beautiful, Kenneth!
Thank you for posting the picture.

Let us know how it flies with the Enya 25SS...

Best regards,  H^^
Claudio.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2021, 02:04:32 PM »
WOW! 600 points!  :o
Are there any videos of this flight???

I've seen Joe fly his Ringmaster to several equally good flights.
He seems to do the best job of presenting maneuvers that look really good to the judges.
Us spectators standing off t the sides don't get the same view, obviously.

He can do a great job for the judges.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here