News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS 25 LA-S , BRODAK 25 or ENYA 25 SS?  (Read 13882 times)

Offline Pat Johnston

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: OS 25 LA-S , BRODAK 25 or ENYA 25 SS?
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2021, 05:00:35 PM »
Claudio.  Pat Johnston here.  I did the design on the "Ringmaster +P".  It is dimensionally the same as the S-1 except for the airfoil.  That is the "+P" airfoil.  The result iss that the flying characteristics are dramatically improved.  It is by no means legal for OTS. That said, it is a blast for those wanting a Ringmaster which will handle Square and Triangle corners without that nasty stalling problem so common on stock S-1's.
Pat Johnston
Advanced Design Studios
Skunk Works

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2021, 09:14:00 AM »
Claudio.  Pat Johnston here.  I did the design on the "Ringmaster +P".  It is dimensionally the same as the S-1 except for the airfoil.  That is the "+P" airfoil.  The result iss that the flying characteristics are dramatically improved.  It is by no means legal for OTS. That said, it is a blast for those wanting a Ringmaster which will handle Square and Triangle corners without that nasty stalling problem so common on stock S-1's.
Pat Johnston
Advanced Design Studios
Skunk Works

Hello Pat! Thank you for jumping in!
Thatīs exactly what I was looking for, a Ringmaster capable of performing a decent pattern, not to win any contests, just for the fun of flying a "correct"
pattern with a classic.
I have now two engines to choose from (recently purchased, NIB) for the S-1 +P : an OS 25LA-S or a ENYA 25 SS-S...but some of the guys here told me that it might be too much power for the S-1...what's your opinion?

Another option I am considering is the FLAPPED RM-526 (which I just LOVE), but in this case, we may have the oposite situation: lack of power for any of the mentioned engines. What do you say? A friend of mine told me that the ENYA 25 SS can be a good choice for the 526, as it has more power than the OS. Have you seen flying a 526 with any .25 engine?

Later,
Claudio.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2021, 11:55:07 AM »
As a few of will attest you can not have too much power.   I am flying the Ringmaster twin that was designed for 2 .15's with 2 .25's.   Props are MA 9 X 6.  Many ways to control the extra power on a plane. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2021, 02:35:55 PM »
As a few of will attest you can not have too much power.   I am flying the Ringmaster twin that was designed for 2 .15's with 2 .25's.   Props are MA 9 X 6.  Many ways to control the extra power on a plane. D>K
And ALWAYS better to have more than enough and need to tame it than never enough no matter what you do.  The engines tend to last very much longer too when you don't have to run them so hard and hot. 
Of these choices of engine I'd go with the Enya.  Never been excited about the OS, though we had success with the FP 40's on large profiles-now use Enya .45s and had several problems with the only Brodak we've had-a .15 for one of my grandsons.  Started out with the sleeve installed 180 backwards from the factory and then just very difficult to start.  Gave up and went Enya there as well.  I know one's experience will vary.
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2021, 03:41:28 PM »
                I started a Sterling S-1 just prior to this thread. I currently have a Brian Gardner Fox .35 on the S-1 and I gave the plane away. I then started a new S-1 which due to the cold put the brakes on doping it until the past two weekends. I drilled the nose for the Fox .35 but I also chose the Enya SS .25 BB iron piston. The Enya has a different length case so I was able to use the one set of holes from the Fox for the Enya. The spacing width is amazingly close between both engines. I'm looking forward to using this Enya 25 SS and I was quite surprised to see it mentioned. It's a wonderfully built engine. To date, all clear coats are on the plane and I can now do the iron on covering. I hope to be flying this plane soon.

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2021, 04:40:16 PM »
                I started a Sterling S-1 just prior to this thread. I currently have a Brian Gardner Fox .35 on the S-1 and I gave the plane away. I then started a new S-1 which due to the cold put the brakes on doping it until the past two weekends. I drilled the nose for the Fox .35 but I also chose the Enya SS .25 BB iron piston. The Enya has a different length case so I was able to use the one set of holes from the Fox for the Enya. The spacing width is amazingly close between both engines. I'm looking forward to using this Enya 25 SS and I was quite surprised to see it mentioned. It's a wonderfully built engine. To date, all clear coats are on the plane and I can now do the iron on covering. I hope to be flying this plane soon.

Great! Post some pics Kenneth!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2021, 06:24:39 PM »
                New Ringmaster

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2021, 09:19:51 AM »
                New Ringmaster

Beautiful, Kenneth!
Thank you for posting the picture.

Let us know how it flies with the Enya 25SS...

Best regards,  H^^
Claudio.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2021, 02:04:32 PM »
WOW! 600 points!  :o
Are there any videos of this flight???

I've seen Joe fly his Ringmaster to several equally good flights.
He seems to do the best job of presenting maneuvers that look really good to the judges.
Us spectators standing off t the sides don't get the same view, obviously.

He can do a great job for the judges.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here