News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:09:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old CL movie  (Read 2816 times)

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Old CL movie
« on: June 26, 2018, 07:54:01 PM »
I think this has surfaced before but stumbled across it on YouTube. 

I saw Bob Hunt flying stunt and I think Marvin Denny during a combat match.
Anyone recognize any of the other flyers?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
Re: Old CL movie
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 08:01:27 PM »
Oh, yes, very much so..................

That is Fred and Joyce Margarido from Freemont CA flying in the speed circle.
(The M and M Speed Team)

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »
The "Mr. Football" voice is a riot!  Many years ago when my daughters were in their teens I played this for them.  They about died laughing upon hearing that voice!  Teenagers can be so cruel.....

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
Great video. Thanks for sharing that.

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 09:59:34 PM »
Oh, yes, very much so..................

That is Fred and Joyce Margarido from Freemont CA flying in the speed circle.
(The M and M Speed Team)

Carl

Yes that was Fred! Id recognize those mutton chops a mile away.
My father and I flew with Fred in the late sixties at Irvington High School in Fremont California

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »
Larry;

I flew with them in north central CA when I was stationed at Castle AFB back in teh early 70's.
Along with Frank Hunt, Ron Ivaldi, Gigi LAruso and a few others there.
Had a blast.
Still have some of my old speed equipment and jet gear.

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 11:51:06 PM »
Of course, Les McDonald with a Stiletto.

Tim Gillotte in the white visor pitting a Fast Rat. Bill Wisniewski prepping a Pink Lady speed model. Might be Aimee Olson flying the WWI scale plane, or do I have the wrong decade? Cathy Burnstein(?) assisting with the scale F4B biplane. She made the FAI scale team at least once if I recall correctly.

Watching scale is painful to me. Seeing so many planes that fly so poorly or not at all. Recently, I watched a video of a B-17 that hung on the edge of stall and flopped around. I can't imagine that there would be many (any?) points for performance like that. Maybe you can win by having great static scores and essentially no flight points--but you thrash out your required 10 laps?

Dave

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 06:46:10 AM »
That was filmed at Lincoln NE in 1979. That was my first NATS. I haven't actually watched it in a while, but recognize most of the participants. If it was a girl flying scale, it was probably Charlie Bauer's daughter Paula. All four of the Bauer kids flew scale at that time. I also remember seeing my long-time racing partner Mike Greb flying combat.

BB

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 06:57:01 AM »
I have always loved that film. I liked the mood of the music with each segment, I liked the NFL guy's voice, I liked it all.  Guess I'm the odd man out.  H^^

I would not known that was a very young Marvin Denny (I met him well after his retirement years) had it not been for this forum some years ago when this film was being discussed.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 07:02:09 AM »
Good segment on combat. Lots of Nemesis, a few foamies, even saw a Sneeker. No courtesy lap...match on immediately after launch! The good old days-

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 07:20:18 AM »
Nice to see this again. It has been a while. Carrier was great then. "The good old days".
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »
That was the NATS I missed because of telephone scheduling a school for me.   It is amazing to see the guys and gals I have met through the years. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
That is my Texan. I did not fly it that year because of high winds. My Zero won 1st place in sport. The first of 5 years. H^^

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 01:58:56 PM »
      Hi Paul:

That was great! Thank you for sharing!

Be well,

Frank McCune

Offline Dennis Keeton

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 09:33:32 PM »
Thanks,

I remember that left hand, I got a real close view a few times!!! Also saw George combating.
Stubby and George were racing. A few more look familiar but can not  put a name to them now!

Offline Joe Bowman

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 10:47:55 PM »
At the beginning of the combat portion the guy with the bull horn and inspecting the streamer is the combat event director, Marlin McGee, from Oklahoma City, Ok.  The first match contestants are (tall guy) Allen Guthumson (sp), and Greg Hissom.  Greg was from Wichita, Ks. but don't remember where Allen was from.  He visited OKC a lot though.  Second match is Marvin Denny (taller of the two) but don't know his opponent.  Fist rat race pair, shorter guy with blue shirt on is Dick Stubblefield from Houston Tx..

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 08:58:42 AM »
Thanks Joe.

That scene with Marlin in it: His hat is shading his face, and the film repro is fuzzy in that I've never recognized him in spite of the countless times I've watched this film.

Marlin was kind enough to offer me transportation to the '72 Nats at Glenview and it was my privilege to be a part of that batch of OKC fliers for the week. He was a very good flier. Marlin, Bud Harris (and their families) did a mini-caravan from Tulsa, OK to Glenview in one day. I remember when riding with Bud (upon finding out that I was at Fox Mfg and doing double duty as supervisor in the Assembly Dept as well as in R&D at the time) that he picked my brain about engines the entire time I was riding with him. I very much enjoyed our conversation, as he was very mechanically inclined and grasped the concepts quickly. As I recall it, shortly thereafter Bud begin to do engine reworks... and his reworks became highly regarded.

SO many good memories at that one Nats I was able to be a part of. (Albeit as a "sponsor" of sorts and not a contestant, being a rep for Fox Mfg.)

One of my best memories is meeting Fox user Phil Granderson, and hanging with him one evening shooting the bull and in general having a great time over at the "Officers Club". Phil was a hoot.

So long ago.

We were all so young.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »
The producer/director is Jay Gerber of the Philly area. Jay was an active R/C pattern flyer and one more thing. He brought film technology to the NFL .
It was his living and the reason that the voice has an  NFL like  delivery.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 07:34:22 PM »
By Golly That was a total hoot! The more I watched the happier I got! One of the Combat guys was the late, Gil Reedy one of the closest friends I've ever had! He truly was a Combat Ace as well as a Personal Ace! He was the guy with the blue arm ringed white tee shirt. The memories this brought back to me are so very precious. Many Thanks Paul for running this for us!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Advertise Here
Tags: my texan 

Advertise Here