News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:39:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheek's BIG Me 109  (Read 769 times)

Offline jjorgensen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Sheek's BIG Me 109
« on: August 20, 2017, 05:24:37 PM »
Can't believe how much work is involved in this build, but I do like the look
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Sheek's BIG Me 109
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:33:30 PM »
C'mon .

Jack woulda built it in two weeks .  S?P

One ' trick ' We're suffering - sanding those ribs , with a long stick . You need Somone to Hold the Aeroplane so as you can USE BOTH HANDS ON THE SANDING STICK .

might as well prattle on needlessly , Non Shrink Dope  first coat or two , tissue on wet .

Theis Way , the dope that drops down on the ribs dont pull the covering down .

I actually usually brush the first coat on the covering  only between the ribs - not getting any on the wood .
Second coat unthined ( maybe ) to stop it going thru tissue easily - even holding the plane up & brushing UNDER the surface .

On a Warm Day so it kicks of instantly .

Bleedy cold here & recovering outside bays or Typhoon the THIRD time .

Patiance & damp tissue , doped & pined out to the second last rib , you can generally ' pull ' the stretch to get the tip curve .
But may have to do one spanwise slit & lap on the last bay .

Get the Ribs Perfect with a long stick with fine paper glued on . my ' difficulties ' are patching sanding thru on ribs ,
So this time its , Non Shrinking , full coat , One of Shrinking Nitrate ( Here in Aus ) the one sprayed of talc with a bit of silver .
Sand 320 3M paper , a coat to seal .You can get the light coat there - low shrink butrate .

Super Coat other than the last two thin , and youll get the aerodynamics of a potato chip , from shrinkage - recurring warps - for years .

Yes , That 109G is one of our favourites too .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »
Can't believe how much work is involved in this build, but I do like the look

It looks like a classic I-beam, and that would go together a lot faster than you think.

Brett

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 05:58:20 AM »
 (It looks like a classic I-beam, and that would go together a lot faster than you think.)

The wing went together fairly quickly. I like building I-beams because they seem to come out straighter for me for some reason. The rest of the build is taking a long time however. The fuselage required a lot of engineering to get the elevator pushrod to move freely in the tail as there is not a lot of room, and once all the top and bottom sheeting is on there is not much room for adjustment should something be off.
Jim Jorgensen

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here