News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OH NO...T & A is closing  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Greg Howie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
OH NO...T & A is closing
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:46:05 PM »
Oh no ........Tony and Addie's hobbies shop in Burbank is going to close up shop this year ! This is the last real Mom and Pop hobbies shop there is !

This is the end of an era. When Lockheed was still in Burbank you could find the likes of aviation greats in Tony's hobbies shop for lunch break. Stearman, Goldberg,Palmer all went to Tony and Addie's

They did it all . Pylon,speed ,carrier,rubber power ,electric and STUNT. They would help you for free ,taking  the time to explain how to do anything . From a carrier hook to folding prop there is nothing that I didn't learn from them first. Even how to fly, on their days off they could be found teaching people how to fly for free. I will always be great full to both of them for all they have taught me.
Oh ....I see ,you mean the ones on a string ?

Greg Howie

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: OH NO...T & A is closing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 06:20:40 AM »
I really hate to hear that they are going to close up shop.  I have never been there, but I have heard so much abot the shop from those that have.  You're right, we are losing a piece of Americana!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Greg Howie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 12:06:34 PM »
Most people's careers consist of about 40 years of stressful, hard work to make ends meet and provide for themselves and their family before they can feasibly retire.

Lightweights.

Addie Naccarato has built model airplanes professionally for the past 65 years.

"Someone recently asked me if I still build (model planes) and I said 'You bet,'" Naccarato said. "I'll be building until the day I die,"

The 76-year-old co-founder of Tony & Addie Hobby Lobby started as a model builder in her preteen years when she got her first model plane.

She met her late husband, Tony Sr., in a model shop and raised their son, Tony Jr., to appreciate the craft of building model planes. Almost every day, customers can find Addie at her workstation in the corner of the store, constructing her next aeronautic accomplishment to add to the collection hanging from the ceiling.

As the manager of the store, Tony Jr. describes it as a museum and "one of the last real old-fashion-type model shops" that features model planes back to the 1930s.

The Burbank store opened in 1951. When Addie officially retired in 1990, Tony Jr. took control of the store, even though she still spends most of her time there, working on models. In a world where most things seem to be ready-made, Addie Naccarato believes that building models is still one of the most vital hobbies a child can have.

"It teaches them to work with tools, to read plans, the physics of flight and the pride in knowing they built it themselves," she said. "They will get frustrated and angry, but when finished, they will also be very proud of themselves.

Oh ....I see ,you mean the ones on a string ?

Greg Howie

Offline Gary Widmer

• New Pilot
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 04:34:33 PM »
Although sad, this is not surprising.  A combination of things probably led to their decision.  A deteriorating neighborhood and  economics to name a few.  T&A will be missed.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 09:00:02 AM by Gary Widmer »

vsc guy

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 05:57:39 AM »
Bummer!

Mike Keville

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 09:21:41 PM »
I too will miss them. My brother and I used to walk 5 miles one way every week when we were around 10 or 12 to buy something. Tony is about the same age as me and he was just a kid hanging out. Many of the same planes are still there hanging on the wall. Freeflight, rubber, handlaunch, u-control, RC etc. etc. Used to watch Addie beat the guys at the local contests with her Cougar. She loves modeling and flying. I'm still flying the ST 46 I bought there 30 years ago. Part of the fun of going there is the people you meet. Wish them the best always. There used to be a Gelsons supermarket across the street. My brother and I would go to T & A's while mom and dad did the shopping.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here