News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:49:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oddball Computer Problem  (Read 956 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Oddball Computer Problem
« on: September 12, 2020, 12:24:53 PM »
   All right all you computer gurus out there, here is a new problem. I have used AOL  for my email ever since I got my first box 20 years ago and never really had any problems. I am having a problem on one computer, the one I'm typing this on right now, where if I try to forward and email or just compose a new one where I have to type in a new email address, it gets interrupted by the window where it asks me if I really want to leave that page or site, as if I jut hit "X" in the upper right hand corner to delete the email. I first thought it was a problem with a stuck button on my key board and just replaced it, logged out and logged back in several times, rebooted the computer and all the typical things you try with typical problems. I do not have this problem when using my lap top, or my phone if I have to use that. I think it's got to be a settings issue but can not figure out what you would call that setting. I think it's something ion this computer  related to AOL. I can get into and use my Gmail and Yahoo mail, but I just prefer good old AOL because it's what I have used for 20 years!  Let me know iif you know where to go or what button to push. I tried checking into AOL tech support but they want me to upgrade to a paid account again! Otherwise I am not having any issues anywhere else with this computer.
  Thanks a lot in advance for any help!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Oddball Computer Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »
   I got it figured out at the same time I was getting some help from Steve Smith who confirmed a problem "extension" that got loaded with a recent auto upgrade. Deleted it and problem solved.
 THANKS A LOT,
Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 10:41:36 PM »
DAN, I HAVE THE PAID VERSION OF AOL GOLD AND STILL HAVE TROUBLES. LONG LOAD TIMES AND LOCK-UPS IN THE PRINT PROGRAM. I SPENT OVER AN HOUR WITH ONE OF THEIR TECH GURUS ONE AFTERNOON AND STILL DID NOT GET IT FIXED.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT EXTENSION TO WHAT FILE NEEDS TO BE CHANGED AND I WILL TRY IT. I HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE.

I SOMETIMES WONDER IF SOME OF THIS IS MICROSOFT'S VERSION OF PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE SINCE I AM RUNNING WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL AND THEY WOULD LIKE ME TO UPGRADE IT.
Guy Blankinship

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 04:11:15 PM »
DAN, I HAVE THE PAID VERSION OF AOL GOLD AND STILL HAVE TROUBLES. LONG LOAD TIMES AND LOCK-UPS IN THE PRINT PROGRAM. I SPENT OVER AN HOUR WITH ONE OF THEIR TECH GURUS ONE AFTERNOON AND STILL DID NOT GET IT FIXED.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT EXTENSION TO WHAT FILE NEEDS TO BE CHANGED AND I WILL TRY IT. I HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE.

I SOMETIMES WONDER IF SOME OF THIS IS MICROSOFT'S VERSION OF PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE SINCE I AM RUNNING WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL AND THEY WOULD LIKE ME TO UPGRADE IT.

Mine had something to do with a search function, some sort of protected feature when doing a search, and it was loaded during one of those automated updates that Microsoft is so fond of. I finally figured it out at the same time by friend Steve Smith did and just deleted the shebang.
   Good luck with it,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 09:19:41 PM »
Um, GOOD LUCK with that! I've got my own issues with WIN 10 and Yahoo email. One of our members changed his email addy and the Yahoo software shows me a place to put his given name, which works, and his middle name, which doesn't, but no place to put his surname or email address, and no way to just edit the email address, since that line is AWOL.

Yahoo's tech people say it's my "settings", but my "settings" dropdown menu doesn't have the same options as they (Yahoo) seems to think it does. I'd like to kick both Windoze and Yahoo to the curb, but it seems like a lot of time wasted. Plus, I really don't want anything to do with Google (i.e., "G-mail"), don't want to be forced to use "Chrome", and there aren't many other options that I can think of. Might be a good time to just cancel the Interweb.   R%%%%  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 11:11:09 PM »
Dan, do you know what date the Microsoft update in question was installed?
Guy Blankinship

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 06:05:32 AM »
Dan, do you know what date the Microsoft update in question was installed?

No, I sure don't. most often it's done through the night. I learned a long time ago to not do the installations myself when the window pops up. I have had a lot less problems that way. Someone here on the forum recommended that years ago.
    Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 01:53:53 PM »
I had one of those updates a few weeks ago on one of my laptops, and it destroyed my pass word. Can not figure out how to get into it at all. It comes in ok, but will not recognize my pass word. I googled what to do, but none of their ideas worked so far. Seems this happen frequently on updates. SHEEEHS.
Jim Kraft

Offline Gregory Hammond

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 08:12:56 PM »
You could also have a problem with malware or spyware trying to steal your form data.

If you clean up your windows, it might begin to function correctly.
A quick and simple clean up program to use is :-
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

adwcleaner will clean off any found PuPs ( potentially unwanted programs)
and reset some windows start up protocols, winsock etc

it will require a reboot to fix windows issues

hope this helps

Offline the original Steve Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Fly Stunt!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 07:27:23 PM »
It's called a browser hijacker.  Easily removed and disabled.  Does not come from a Microsoft update but from an infected website.  Gets installed without your knowledge or permission.

Steve
Thanks,
the original Steve Smith
AMA 2112

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here